One Year Ago Today.....

One Year Ago Today.....

Posted by WesT on Mar 14, 2019 10:03 am

Well, one year ago today right at this moment I was on the operating table having my cancerous prostate removed.  What an interesting year this has been.

Some serious ups and definitely some downs since then but forging ahead.  Physically I feel good, but emotionally the journey has taken a toll.  Thank goodness for good friends and family as well as some faceless online friends (some not so faceless now).  The journey has brought me closer to some of my friends and others are no longer a major part of my life.  I have taken steps back in some areas of my life a steps forward in others.  Focused on my passions and tried not to be overly involved in things I no longer feel passionate about (still have to pay the bills though!).

Some days I fell optimistic that all will be good and other days worried about what the future has in store.  Some days feel good about being cancer free and others concerned of a return.  Some days I want to get out and enjoy life and other just hide away in my basement.  Sigh!

Tomorrow is my first physical since my diagnosis.  The last physical started me on this journey because of a kidney stone which could have saved me a not so bright future.  Needless to say there is some anxiety about the physical but hey, no DRE!  Since I no longer have a prostate to probe, I don't have to go through the perceived indignity off having a finger invade me.......

I have noticed that some of the other minor physical aliments that were bothering me before my diagnosis but were not an issue after my treatment are creeping back.  Hopefully these are just a coincidence and not an indicator of similar issues on the horizon.  I do have a list of small items to bring up with my doctor tomorrow so I can see what she says and suggests this time around.

My next PSA test is still a couple of months away. So I will have to wait to see if those numbers are still non-existent (more stress)

I would very much like to thank everyone on this site that has supported me in various forms since I arrived here in January of 2018.  The support that some of you caring people have given me means to the world to my recovery.  Advise, answering my questions or just being someone to listen, the people here as well as the people in my inner circle have helped me immensely through all of this.

Thank you!

Re: One Year Ago Today.....

Posted by mycrazyjourney on Mar 14, 2019 10:51 am

Wes, this is why I feel comfortable sharing my thoughts and feeling with kind people like you, the wonderful people on cancerconnection listen to what we have to say and help with open arms.
With one year down, now you have many more years to enjoy with family and good friends. All the best to you, Therese

Posted by WesT on Mar 14, 2019 10:56 am

mycrazyjourney‍ Thank you Therese.

Everyone here are great indeed, but I do need to call out Lacey_adminCCS‍ for always being there with open ears, a friendly voice and subtle useful advise.

Posted by Runner Girl on Mar 14, 2019 11:32 am

WesT‍ ,

Congratulations on your anniversary.  You've had quite the journey the past year.  I have been very impressed with you and how you help those who are just starting the journey you've already completed.  Well done Sir.

I hope your checkup shows good numbers and that you can move into the next phase of your life with less stress and a lot of happiness and peace.

Have a wonderful day.

Runner Girl

Posted by WesT on Mar 14, 2019 11:48 am

Runner Girl‍ Thanks.  I am not sure my journey is completed yet, I am unsure if it will ever be completed but I am hopeful.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Mar 14, 2019 12:12 pm

WesT‍ 

Wow one year is a huge milestone- Congratulations. A big thank you to you for sticking around post treatment to provide information and support to others in our amazing community. 

I wish you many more days where you're feeling optimistic, good, and feel like getting out and enjoying life and wishing you self understanding on the tough days where you want to hide away. After all you're human my friend.

Thank you for sharing this milestone with us, looking forward to sharing more with you!

Lacey

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Mar 14, 2019 12:26 pm

WesT‍ 
First post I read this morning - thanks for making it such a good one!
Congratulations on marking this milestone and thank you for sharing the real face of what a cancer survivor can look and feel like.
I know your posts have helped so many and I look forward to many more

I hope you celebrate with a few guitar riffs and whatever else makes you happy.
Salud!

Lianne

Posted by Brighty on Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm

WesT‍  congrats !!!!!!! That is a wonderful  milestone.    You do so much to help others in this community and we appreciate  you more than words can say !!!! 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Mar 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Great reflection, WesT‍ . May your survival from your prostate cancer be long! (Dad’s at the 16 year mark now!)

Posted by WesT on Mar 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Thank you Lacey_adminCCS‍ , Lianne_adminCCS‍ , Brighty‍ and Cynthia Mac‍ 

Posted by Aries on Mar 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Congrats WesT on your 1 year milestone! 

I haven't been on here long but as you said, this is an great community and the support is amazing.

Good luck to you!

Posted by WesT on Mar 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks Aries‍ 

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 14, 2019 7:43 pm

Hey WesT‍ 

I wish you clear sailing and follow ups ahead of this milestone.

Like u said "it's all about the bass" 😎🤘🎸

Keep well Wes and enjoy your stay cation down time!

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by WesT on Mar 15, 2019 6:34 am

Thanks ACH2015‍ 

Posted by MrFido on Mar 15, 2019 11:41 am

I'd like to join in and wish you ongoing healing and comfort in your situation.

We've both done a lot of reading and learning. In terms of a support role, I didn't really think I'd get involved in that side of this disease.

Your outreach to others helps set a path to them getting better control of their circumstances. You also point to some questions and dialogue that needs to occur.

In the PCa world, I've become more active in my pursuit of knowledge. While we've learnt that no two PCa cases are identical, that fact alone makes a support site all that more relevant and important.

Your willingness to share is admirable.

I've certainly been blessed to be able to join you in our altered conditions.

Let's hope there lots more WesT for everyone.

I'd also like to give a hi-five to the 'admin' group. Im in full agreement as to the role they play.
Without their input and guidance, this site would not exist. THANKS to all ....

Posted by WesT on Mar 15, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks MrFido‍ your input is appreciated as well.

Yes indeed, the "Mod Squad" keeps things going in the right direction in making sure that people get the help and support they need when they need it the most.  That is exactly why I try to give back what and where I can, along with a lot of others....

Posted by Charles on Mar 15, 2019 8:45 pm

May you have many happy returns of this anniversary! <g>

.      Charles 

Posted by Ron B on Mar 16, 2019 2:45 am

Concrates WesT on reaching the one year mark, I look forward to reading your 5 year and beyond milestones.
I'd like to thank you for sharing not only your knowledge but some of your experiences with me.
You are making a difference in peoples life's. 

Posted by WesT on Mar 18, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks Charles‍ and Ron B‍ I look forward to posting a five year follow up as well!

Share with your friends: