Prostate Cancer Treatment Options

Re: Prostate Cancer Treatment Options

Posted by Bluenoser13 on Nov 25, 2020 11:54 am

Hey gang:

it’s been a while since I posted but have an update on my situation. In January 2020 my PSA was .5 (second increase in 6 months)and after a bone and CT scan that were both clean thankfully. In August it was up to 1.5. I was told the cancer was likely back. Yesterday I had another Bone Scan and tomorrow I have a CT scan. I’m very nervous as my initial Gleason score was 9 in 2016. I’m in the process of reading the book from Dr. Walsh and am so confused on what may lie ahead for treatments. I’m located in Nova Scotia and hoping we have the most up to date treatments. I’m not trying to be too worried, but the unknown is scary. My appointment isn’t until December 10th. That’s a long time to wait for the report. Thankfully, my wife has been a blessing and she’s my rock. 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Dec 1, 2020 7:49 am

Hi, Bluenoser13‍ , You’re almost half way there! 

I’m a little behind in my reading, but saw your post and wanted to come by and cheer you on. 

Time can be so relative, can’t it? Two weeks/ 15 days goes in a flash if it’s a Caribbean vacation, but it’s forever when awaiting test results!  I encourage you to focus on what you know for sure, and try to keep those “what if thoughts” at bay.

Please let us know how things go on Dec. 10!
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Dec 1, 2020 9:30 am

Bluenoser13‍ 

SO glad you stopped in to say hi. It's good to hear from you. The waiting period is tough.

I wanted to provide some information that I think might help prepare you for your upcoming conversations with your doc:
Treatments for prostate cancer - Canadian Cancer Society

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out here or call our Cancer Information Helpline at 1-888-939-3333. 

If your appointment in person or by phone?

Lacey

Posted by Bluenoser13 on Dec 1, 2020 9:30 am

Thanks Cynthia Mac‍ 

You are so correct. I wish I was on a Caribbean vacation, we use to cruise down there. I am still working, albeit from home so I have a little more time to “waste” wondering what-if. 

I try to stay positive and my wife helps in that regard when she’s home from work as well. I will update next week. Thanks again. 

Posted by Charles on Dec 2, 2020 1:49 pm

Bluenoser13:
Hey gang:

. . .  I’m very nervous as my initial Gleason score was 9 in 2016. I’m in the process of reading the book from Dr. Walsh and am so confused on what may lie ahead for treatments.       

Yes, you have reasonable concerns.

If ADT (="hormone therapy", a bad name IMHO) is in your future, I have two suggestions:

(a) an online course on ADT and advanced prostate cancer:

LifeOnADT.com

It's been approved by the Canadian Urological Association, and has good evidence that the course, itself, helps patients cope with the "recurrence" diagnosis and treatment.

(b) A book (by several authors, some of them associated with LifeOnADT.com):

"Androgen Deprivation Therapy: An Essential Guide . . . Second Edition" --
. . . by Richard Wassersug (and others).

With a PSA of 1.5, you probably have several choices of treatment (maybe including "wait, and see what happens").  I don't know enough to have any opinions.

Keep in touch --

.      Charles

Posted by Bluenoser13 on Dec 9, 2020 7:52 am

Thanks Charles:

I have my appointment with my oncologist tomorrow morning after waiting two weeks since my CT and full body bone scans.  I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous and have been having trouble sleeping the past few nights. I do appreciate the information you sent.  I will be looing into both of those suggestions asap.  I'll update sometime after my appointment. 😔
Dave

Posted by Bluenoser13 on Dec 13, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi gang: 

I received what news I was sort of expecting given the rise in my PSA recently. It went from 1.3 to 4.22 in three months.  As a result of that and the scans I had, the cancer has spread to my scapula and humerus on my left side as well as some lymph nodes in my lower abdomen, although they aren't too large. I have been prescribed Bicalutamide (50 mg) daily effective immediately(for about a month). I will be getting Zoladex injections every three months starting just before Christmas and in January, Will be taking Erleada tablets daily as well.  I'm told this should reduce the cancer in my shoulder and on the lymph nodes.  I'm in NS and will have follow up from my oncologist every three months and scans as needed.  Thanks Charles, we have signed up for the program from LifeonADT.  Our course starts in January. I still work and am hoping any side affects are minimal. Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Thanks for your support. 

Posted by Trillium on Dec 13, 2020 2:50 pm

I am a caregiver for my son who had stage 3 testicular cancer and is currently cancer free after surgery and chemo. Just wanted to wish you and your family all the best, Bluenoser13‍ . 

Trillium

Posted by Bluenoser13 on Dec 13, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks Trillium‍, I hope everything works out for your son. Sending prayers!

Posted by pc876 on Dec 14, 2020 8:19 am

Hi,

I am 62 years old, living in Halifax Nova Scotia, and was diagnosed in July 2020. My Gleason score was 7 (3+4) and PSA was 5.8. On examination, my prostate was normal in size. I discussed treatment options with both the surgeon and the radiation oncologist. Scan showed that there was no evidence of spread beyond the prostate. Both consultants  independently told me that either treatment was likely to be successful and that the choice was mine, based on what best suited my active lifestyle.
I have been physically active my whole life (so far) and regularly cycle between 3000 and 5000 km each year. I follow a plant-based diet that works well for me and helps me maintain a healthy weight.

In the end, I chose the radiation route. On 26th October I had Brachytherapy where radioactive needles were repeatedly inserted for short periods of time to specifically expose the cancer cells to high dose radiation. There are no radioactive ‘seeds’ left in my prostate. Two weeks after that, I received 15 treatments of External Beam Radiation (Monday to Friday) over three weeks. I now wait three months before my next PSA test to see the effect.

Side effects: I think that I have been lucky. I was told that there might be bruising in my scrotum area following brachytherapy. There was none. I had some blood in my urine and ejaculate after brachytherapy but that soon cleared up. I experienced waves of fatigue during the external beam radiation but they were manageable. I have been on Tamsulosin to help me urinate and I am now starting to come off that as all my treatments are complete.

Now I start my fitness training again to prepare for a 900 km ride across Nova Scotia in June 2021. I hope to raise $10,000 for the Canadian Cancer Society.

Posted by Bluenoser13 on Dec 14, 2020 11:13 am

Hi @pc876. 

Sounds like you’re well on your way to a full recovery. All the best and good like with the ride and fund raiser. My fingers are crossed for your success.