+ Reply
Radiation
BookLover
13 Posts
I'm hoping to hear from others who have had radiation treatments for ovarian cancer.

Was diagnosed fall of 2019, had 3 chemo treatments, debulking surgery and 3 more chemo treatments. Started lynparza in May 2020. Recent CT scan shows a lymph node that has grown in size over last few months.

I'm having a consult with a radiation oncologist to discuss a treatment plan. I understand that radiation is not a usual treatment for ovarian cancer but other than the lymph node increasing all other areas are "unremarkable" so no chemo, at this time.

Any thoughts on this?
7 Replies
Brighty
6458 Posts
Hi BookLover‍ . Perhaps you can connect with Sadie12
JRH78‍ and Elsie13‍ and they can share with you their experience. When is your consult with the radiologist? Perhaps these fine ladies can come up with questions for you to ask during your appointment. By the way, love your user name. Who is your favourite author?
KathiR
45 Posts
Hi BookLover‍ It sounds like treatment has gone very well for you, other than the lymph node. Not sure how many OVC survivors here might have had some experience with radiation or treatment of lymph node progression but you might also want to reach out on OVdialogue, the Ovarian Cancer Canada online chat room. If you're not a member, registration is very easy....just go to ovariancanada.org and click on OVdialogue and then click Register. We have over 600 members, all OVC survivors, nationally and I know of several who have experienced just your situation, although not aware of how it was treated. And if you register in time and want to join a live chat for real-time feedback it's at 1pm EST today. Just sign in and click on the Topic: Teal Thursdays.....to enter the chat at the appointed time.

Hope you are able to source some survivors who have experience to share......all the best with treating that node successfully,
KathiR
JRH78
10 Posts
Hi there,

I was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer last November after a surgery to remove a mass on my ovary. Due to complications in surgery, I was not able to have the full hysterectomy, and a biopsy revealed uterine cancer for me. I also struggled with paclitaxel during chemo, so the doctors Decided against an alternative chemo drug for me, and instead have chosen radiation for my uterus. I have spots in Mt uterus and vagina. Radiation actually begins today for me. It's a bit stressful, but hopefully everything will be okay. I think I will have 20 external treatments and 4 internal. Radiation is known to have better success with the one chemo drug I'm still taking, carboplatin.

I'm pretty new to the whole cancer thing, so I'm afraid I can't answer your specific question. I hope you are able to get the information you need. ❤
Elsie13
1531 Posts
Hello BookLover‍ . I think that treatments can be very different for each person, depending on the type of ovarian cancer you have, the stage, your overall health, age and so on. There are some articles you could read on cancer.ca https://www.cancer.ca/en/search/?q=types+of+ovarian+cancer

I was diagnosed with large ovarian cysts in late 2016. I had a complete hysterectomy and was told what I'd had was stage 2 ovarian cancer. Some of the cells they found were clear cell, which is a stubborn cancer, they told me. So I had 6 chemo sessions (Carbo/Taxol), and 25 radiation treatments. Now my blood tests show No Evidence of Disease.

So I suppose, keep an open mind when you speak to the oncologist. Maybe write in a notebook what the oncologist is saying. I often found that I would think of a question later, or the next day! So an important question would be something like "If I have more questions doctor, when can I ask you?"
Elsie13
1531 Posts
JRH78‍ , Hi, How are things going with the radiation?
(You're probably quite tired, so no rush in answering).
JRH78
10 Posts
Elsie13:
JRH78‍ , Hi, How are things going with the radiation?
(You're probably quite tired, so no rush in answering).

Well, my first session did not happen. I got there, got all arranged on the table, and then it wouldn't work. Apparently the plan they had in place for me was not compatible with that machine. It was incredibly disappointing. I was able to successfully complete session #1 on my second attempt, though. Other than the sore back, it went fine. I was just very tired and sore afterwards. Now, I have a month to look forward to... of treatments. Hopefully they will go well. My biggest complaint is that they are so late in the day that the entrance to the radiation treatment center is closed when I get finished, and I have to go much further to get to the exit and to my vehicle. It's a pain. But... it could be worse, I suppose. Thank you for asking! ❤

Sadie12
31 Posts
Hi BookLover

I hope things go well with your radiation.
I haven't been prescribed radiation at this time, so I can't offer any advice.

Sadie12
+ Reply