+ Reply
Letrozole for recurrent ovarian cancer?
laj
4 Posts
Has anyone on here had recurrent ovarian cancer used letrozole without having surgery? If so what was your results?
4 Replies
KathiR
45 Posts
Hi laj‍   Letrazole is one I haven't used or done any research on so I can't offer any insights relative to your decision.  Hopefully there will be someone in this group who has had some experience with it. For me, back two years ago, I had a recurrence and was offered the option of chemo or a clinical trial which involved oral doses of Olaparib/Lynparza to see if it could be effective as a treatment. I opted for the trial assuming i had nothing to lose. My recurrence, like yours, was caught very early on so to delay any more traditional approach a few months while we explored the effectiveness of the PARP inhibitor wasn't a big risk.  I was fortunate that the drug immediately started working, reducing the size of the two tumours by 75% within the first 4 months. No, it didn't destroy them completely but they were became so tiny they were almost unremarkable in scans. And continuing the drug kept the cancer and my CA 125 in normal range for close to two years. Only recently has the drug stopped working so I will now start the chemo for which I was originally slotted.  Really, making the decision is one of weighing risks versus rewards and choosing the option that is most comfortable for you personally...despite what anyone other than you medical support prefers.

If you're not aware, there is another peer support group of purely OVC survivors where there is a likelihood of some members having had experience with Letrazole.  It's OVdialogue under the banner of Ovarian Cancer Canada and consists of over 600 of us nationally. If you wish to register and use that site to reach out to a broader OVC specific community just go to https://ovdialogue.ovariancanada.org

Good luck with your decision.
KathiR
laj
4 Posts
KathiR‍ Thank you for sharing your experience. I am leaning towards the surgery. If ithe letrozole  doesn't work I will have to have surgery anyways. 
Hi laj‍ 

Tagging Dobergurl‍ who was treated with letrozole for ovarian cancer. Are you able to share your experience?
MCM
10 Posts
Hello laj, hope this helps.  My diagnosis was Stage 4 recurrent low-grade serous ovarian cancer in 2016, surgery was not an option for me.  The only option I was given was to use medication(s) that had been proven by breast cancer patients.  I was on Letrozole for 3-1/2 years before I developed a resistance to the medication.  It was very easy on my system, no major concerns regarding side effects.  For me, a very positive, but my only, choice.  Hope this helps.

+ Reply