Ovarian cancer Journey

Ovarian cancer Journey

Posted by Tam on Jul 2, 2020 7:06 pm

My  Journey started last July2019 when I had a  internal ultrasound for a  bladder problem ...a 3.6cm  tumour was found on my ovary.. was told it didn't look  suspicious  but need to be removed...in October 2019 I had surgery to removed my the tumour, ovaries and tubes... recovery went well. 2 weeks later  I was told that the  pathology found ovarian cancer stage 2a...I was so scared ....it was almost 6 weeks before I seen the  oncologist ..then I started treatments every 3 weeks for 18 weeks..finished treatments in mid march ..now I would have to wait for my 2nd surgery (in the middle of COVID 19) to have my  uterus ,cervix and omentum and anything else that need to be removed  ..happy to say it wasn't to long ..April 24 was my surgery date ..every thing went well with 2nd surgery.. pathology report came back cancer free ...it's been such a roller coaster...so many ups and downs ..now I don't know how to feel... I'm so happy things went well with my treatments and surgery ..but I'm scared to be to happy ...afraid that it will return... afraid to call myself a  Survivor of cancer ....or am I still a cancer patient?  My Doctor tells me I'm cancer free and go live my life ...I'm not taking any post cancer meds. Doctor will see me every 3 months for the next 2 years and if any problems come up ..she will do test and scans then...I'm hoping the anxiety I'm still feeling will get better over time ...BUT TODAY IS A GOOD DAY 😊😊

Re: Ovarian cancer Journey

Posted by pamnbella on Jul 2, 2020 8:46 pm

That is awesome news. I was just diagnosed with ovarian cancer and am now  undergoing chemo, then surgery, followed by more chemo.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 2, 2020 9:02 pm

Tam

Thanks so much for sharing! Congrats on finishing treatment and being cancer free. 

Sometimes the emotions of all you have been through catch up with you after treatment is done. It's okay if you're not feeling the way you thought you would when you finished treatment. I hope with time you will feel a little more at ease. 

What would you tell your newly diagnosed self if you could go back in time? 

Lacey

Posted by Tam on Jul 3, 2020 6:32 am

I would tell her - your a  strong lady and you will get through this...keep your faith...it's ok to be upset but don't stay there ...let your god ,family and friends carry you...ONE DAY AT A TIME 😊😊

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 3, 2020 8:32 am

Tam‍ - beautiful! 

Posted by KathiR on Jul 3, 2020 8:56 am

Tam, 

First of all congratulations on being cancer free and for sharing your story and concerns.  I was diagnosed in 2017 with stage 3 high grade serous so, like the others here, can relate to what you've been through and how you're feeling.

Yes, you are a Survivor. At least in ovarian cancer we use the term as soon as you're diagnosed since you have it, and you're living with it....and all the way through your journey, whatever that is.  And yes, you are not unique in your concerns for your future and fears of recurrence.  There have been many studies done on survivors of our particular disease and one, if not the the biggest issue we experience post treatment is fear of recurrence. Why, because unlike many other cancers ours is so hard to detect.  You were very fortunate to have yours caught at an early stage and it sounds like your treatment team have been very thorough in attacking the cancer.  If any solace to your fears, I belong to a local group of OVC Survivors; about 25 of us. Of those there are currently only 4 of us with recurrence.  The rest continue to be NED (no evidence of disease); one just celebrating her five year mark and 4 others NED for over 20 years now.  That's not to say diligence is important to catching a recurrence early on.  Learn as much as you can about the warning signs.  Advocate with your treatment team for regular check ups and TESTING.  Asking you how you're feeling is not enough.  In the first few years, a CA 125 at least twice a year if not quarterly can help detect a possible recurrence early. A CT scan at least once a year for the first few years is something you should be asking for as part of your post treatment plan.  

And it is easy for your doctors to say,,,, you're clear so go back to living your normal life but it is really a new normal you need to adjust to. There are the fears, there are side effects from the surgeries and treatments some which will disappear and others will linger longer term or forever.  Don't be afraid to acknowledge them and reach out for help adjusting if needed.  

But this disease has silver linings too. I know I've become a far different person for having it. I am kinder, gentler, more giving of others, more focused on my family, more interested in the little things and less interested in the trappings of what we call success...success to me now is being here and being my authentic self for me and for those I love.  

If you have yet to connect, I strongly suggest you engage with Ovarian Cancer Canada https://ovariancanada.org/ and especially their OVdialogue chat function https://ovdialogue.ovariancanada.org  There you will find a huge community of OVC survivors from across Canada to ask questions, provide support and encouragement, and get current information on advances in our disease.  

Most of all, I wish you well.  Not much solace but if you're to get this disease, now is the time as never before have so many advances been made in its treatment. My cancer recurred almost two years ago and rather than being treated with chemo again, I have been advantaged of qualifying for a clinical trial.  That recurrence is now being managed simply with two pills a day; not invasive, limited to no side effects.  And for those that have yet to be diagnosed, there is a strong possibility of an accurate testing methodology just around the corner.  Stay well, stay conscious of what your body is telling you, continue to value those who are there to support you, make a point of sharing your experience with others to raise awareness and understanding of this disease and most of all stay focused on your future, one with lots of promise and possibility.  

Kathi

Posted by Tam on Jul 3, 2020 9:47 am

Thanks so much for you  encouraging words ...and I also feel that this  disease  Changed my life. 😊😊

Posted by BookLover on Jul 4, 2020 7:11 am

Kathie, great post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and information. 

Posted by Elsie13 on Jul 4, 2020 6:05 pm

Hello Tam‍  .  My story has some similarities to yours. I was diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer in 2016.  I had 6 chemo sessions and 25 radiation treatments. Well, I guess I was lucky in the sense that I had only one surgery - the complete hysterectomy. I am No Evidence of Disease. 

So as KathiR‍  mentions, you will likely have a blood test every 3 or 4 months, and an annual CT scan. 

I also visit OVDialogue now and then.  My doctor has prescribed metformin and simvastatin for me, as they are supposed to help keep the cancer away. 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!