Ovarian cancer advocate and model Elly Mayday dead at 30. Canada has lost a fierce and vocal advo...

Ovarian cancer advocate and model Elly Mayday dead at 30. Canada has lost a fierce and vocal advocate for increased research funding.

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 6, 2019 8:16 am

From the Leeder Post and CBC news: Two very important articles to share.

Mayday was a champion for, “‘You need to listen to your own body,’ ” added Gosselin.

“This is a disease where the signs and symptoms are often quite generic and sometimes confused with those of other less serious illnesses.”

"There are no screening tests or early detection tests, so the disease is often diagnosed in later stages, through a combination of a CA125 blood test, an internal ultrasound and a vaginal exam. It is often diagnosed through surgery, Gosselin added."

"Mayday was vocal about “the need for increased funding into research for this disease, into a disease where the outcomes haven’t changed in 50 years,” added Gosselin."

"The lack of research funding may be the reason ovarian cancer’s mortality rates haven’t decreased, as compared to the highly funded breast cancer and prostate cancer".

Mayday encouraged women to be their own advocates.

“We have the ability to catch it early and hopefully with more research and more funding we can do that,” she said.

Gosselin said Ovarian Cancer Canada is advocating for $10-million in federal research funding. She hopes people will contact their Member of Parliament to strengthen the message.

Mayday hoped so, too. In a Facebook post on Jan. 14, she wrote:

“Want to help me? Share this and send out a letter to get the government to smarten up! It’s down right disgraceful how little Ovarian Cancer is being funded, especially when you compare it to Breast Cancer. No one would be here without a woman having healthy ovaries… it’s our turn to get the funding we need to save women’s lives.”

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-news/ovarian-cancer-advocate-and-model-elly-mayday-dead-at-30

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sask-model-elly-mayday-dies-1.5041631

Stay informed, trust your instincts and advocate for your health.We need to pick up the torch.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Re: Ovarian cancer advocate and model Elly Mayday dead at 30. Canada has lost a fierce and vocal advocate for increased research funding.

Posted by princessmaura on Mar 7, 2019 8:49 am

I am sorry to hear of the passing of Elly at such a young age...I believe that we have to take it upon ourselves to lead a healthier lifestyle to strengthen our immune systems in order to try to fight cancer...

Re: Ovarian cancer advocate and model Elly Mayday dead at 30. Canada has lost a fierce and vocal advocate for increased research funding.

Posted by LPPK on Mar 7, 2019 6:45 pm

Keeping my health binder up to date and going to see my GP when things just don't seem right is a good way to keep on top of my health.
In a perfect world our health system would focus on wellness,  illness would be caught at an early stage, and research on all dread diseases would be funded equally.

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 8, 2019 7:20 am

LPPK‍ 

"Mayday was vocal about “the need for increased funding into research for this disease, into a disease where the outcomes haven’t changed in 50 years,” added Gosselin."

50 years is a long time without seeing improved outcomes for this specific disease.

Sometimes pointing the finger in the right direction where there is increased need for research and funding achieves those goals.

I don't think I would be here today (or want to be) if I had not advocated for myself, and actually made changes in the areas of Health Care that were deficient in my case. These changes will benefit anyone in a similar situation as well.

We can mourn those that have died from a disease, but I believe its equally important to suggest improved funding and research to seek remedy or control where we the patients or family of patients see the need.

Off topic a bit , but, Dense Breasts is a perfect example of bureaucratic red tape that currently hinders a universal preventative diagnostic process being put into effect across the country. People and advocacy are currently doing what they can to improve in this area. Right now, apparently, women aren't even told they have dense breasts. Seriously? This is 2019 right?

Awareness and advocating for change is what does and has made the difference for many. Participating in studies, clinical trials, make targeted donations, and providing information about your unique situation also assist by providing invaluable information and funds toward research and improved treatment therapies.

It is to our collective benefit to seek remedy through improved / increased research where we see the need. And there are so many ways to do so.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by princessmaura on Mar 8, 2019 10:45 am

I rarely see my family doctor...and I missed seeing my oncologist because I want to change her...wellness to me is about lifestyle change...