2018 is ending soon....

2018 is ending soon....

Posted by Elsie13 on Dec 19, 2018 5:31 pm

2018 is ending soon, and I'm wondering how ovarian cancer people are doing, and how have you been this past year? 

My blood tests have been showing No Evidence of Disease. I'm enjoying doing zumba classes at the gym. I walk there and the grocery store is nearby, so I often walk home with  a few purchases.  I have lymphedema in my legs, so exercise is important. I was wearing compression pantyhose  (yes, waist high pantyhose) but I stopped. I had calcific tendonitis in one shoulder, possibly due to struggling with the pantyhose. Now I will be learning how to do bandaging, to narrow the legs a bit, and then I will be getting thigh high stockings, to wear with something like bicycle shorts. 

princessmaura‍ , Ingrid_CanOn‍ , sundog‍ , Suzanne73 ,‍ HayleighConnell‍ , Heidy‍ ,  bsblover4evercanada‍ ,    Sunflower1‍ , jacquieh‍ .
lellis26‍  How is your mother doing? 
I probably missed a few names but I'd love to hear from you. 

Elsie/Elspeth

Re: 2018 is ending soon....

Posted by bsblover4evercanada on Dec 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Hello!
Fortunately, 2018 is ending on a high note! The doctor confirmed yesterday that my latest CT scan shows no sign of disease, my blood work has all returned to normal levels, and I dont need any more chemotherapy! I am going into 2019 (and my 30s!) with a clean bill of health.

Im wishing the best for everyone this Christmas season and throughout 2019!

Blessings, 
Brie

Posted by princessmaura on Dec 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Elsie13‍, this year my mother had to have another cancer surgery because her tumour grew back...I have been vomiting a lot but have been keeping up with my fitness schedule...stretching exercises in the morning, walking up stairs, even some light jogging...have experienced some bad stomach aches, also, and some days of lying in bed from nausea and vomiting, but recuperating well the next day...seems to be that the chemo has caused digestive sensitivities...it's in the chemotherapy book we were given...and my oncologist has admitted that the vomiting is from the chemo...
my oncologist does not use blood tests on me...she goes for the feeling method on the abdomen...and then just the stethoscope to hear the heart and lungs...she said that pain and bloating were the main symptoms of the ovarian cancer coming back...glad to hear that your blood tests are clear with no evidence of disease, and that you are staying physically active with your zumba classes...

P.S. the vomiting is usually a response to eating other people's food, not usually my own...perhaps I am especially sensitive to food that has not been handled properly...cleanliness and hygiene with proper food handling...

Posted by Ingrid_CanOn on Dec 19, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi fellow sisters, it has been a while since I've visited this site as I have been spending more time @ the ovdialogue online site.  Thanks for reaching out Elsie13‍ to all the ovarian sisters.
It has been more than 18 months since diagnosis and 3 surgeries.  I continue to have No Evidence of Disease.  I have been trying to track down some abdominal issues which has been pretty illusive, but it appears that the last CT scan has indicated nothing of concern.  I am now trying some gastrological remedies to rule out whether my belly issues are simply related to IBS.
I am going to start 2019 with a fresh start and hopefully regain some normalcy.  I have been doing the things I love (working @ kennel, walking, biking, strength training, canoeing, motorcycling, baking, gardening, laughing, loving).  I've adopted some ideas that help me to cope, especially when I have the dark days (less and less now).
1.  Healthy is not thinking about my health every day.
2.  I have a chronic illness that may or may not flare up. 
Wishing all OV sisters, love, hope, prayers and happiness for 2019.❤

Posted by sundog on Dec 20, 2018 11:34 am

Hi all! I know I haven't been writing, but I've been reading and keeping up with everyone! This year was a huge year. I decided to sell to sell my farm as I no longer have the energy to keep it up. My partner and I split - it was amicable and we still talk (I have our dogs and cat with me but we 'share custody'). I bought a lovely mobile home in an adult/ retirement community 2 minutes from work (as opposed to the 40 minute drive twice a day). The move was 6 months of exhaustion and stress, but it is finally done and I am home! I am de-stressing every day, which I think is important to keep healthy. I am currently 'stable' after almost 2 years post chemo. The oncologist is pleasantly surprised every time I come in, and I hope to keep him that way! I just booked my bucket list trip as I want to do it soon (just in case - plan for the worst, hope for the best). I am going to Whitehorse, Yukon at the end of March for a week! I found a lovely lodge, 3 meals a day, 5 star accommodation, dog sledding, snowmobile tour, and hopefully northern lights. I'm going on my own - very brave of me as I'm a total coward about travelling. Merry Christmas to everyone, and thanks for the mention Elsie13‍ !

Posted by sundog on Dec 20, 2018 11:39 am

princessmaura‍ I had two episodes of vomiting in Sept/Oct after not being sick to my stomach since my diagnosis two years ago. I was concerned, but my oncologist only said it doesn't fit with symptoms of recurrence. Sorry to hear you are getting sick, but it does reassure me that this is part of the post-chemo side effects. Both times it was after eating store-bought frozen foods for lunch. I'm now trying to prepare more of my own to take with me. 

Posted by Elsie13 on Dec 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Oh, sorry to hear your mother needed surgery, princessmaura‍ . How is she now?  I agree with you on food sensitivities. I get diarrhea which seems to be mild food poisoning. At people's BBQs, the helpers are trying to be so efficient, "Oh we don't need to was the lettuce, it says 'pre-washed.'"  But I think you should wash it, but I don't want to say anything. 
bsblover4evercanada‍ Great news on the clean bill of health. 

Your trip in March sounds wonderful, sundog‍ . Being so close to work is a terrific idea, too!

Ingrid_CanOn‍ , Many of us seem to be 'haunted' in varying degrees with digestive issues. The No Evidence of Disease is so great to hear. 

Wishing you all health and happiness! 

Posted by princessmaura on Dec 22, 2018 10:27 am

sundog‍, yes, it appears that we chemo patients have to deal with digestive issues post chemo treatment...it's a good idea to prepare your food at home...that way you know how it is handled, etc.
Elsie13‍, I think my mother is doing fairly well considering that she is in her early nineties, now...thanks for asking...I have set her up with a physiotherapist in order to get her some much needed exercise...I agree that we former chemo patients need to be extra vigilant in the hygiene of food preparation since our digestive systems have been compromised by the chemotherapy...I, too, think that pre-washed salad greens should be washed a second time just to be on the safe side...