Multiple Myeloma Diet

Multiple Myeloma Diet

Posted by SinaK on Nov 25, 2020 7:59 pm

Dear Friends, 

My mother, 66, recently diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, and should start use Bortezomib(Velcade) next week. 

Wondering which food she should avoid and what is the best diets for Multiple Myeloma?
I search the internet but it has almost everything.

Thanks,
Sina

Re: Multiple Myeloma Diet

Posted by Brighty on Nov 25, 2020 8:27 pm

Welcome SinaK‍ .   Your best bet would be to ask the oncology  dietician. .   As well under 'forums'and discussions. .click on  the cancer type and you will be able to join in some discussions.   Chris319‍  or Abc‍  may be able to help you out.     How are you coping as the caregiver? How is your mom doing?
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by SinaK on Nov 25, 2020 9:58 pm

Thank you so much Brighty‍  for your response. I am going to check other discussions. My mom is doing great so far, and I am try my best to get information about what she should eat and how she should manage the side effect of drugs. I hope everything goes well. Thanks for asking. 

Posted by Whitelilies on Nov 26, 2020 2:26 pm

SinaK‍ Hello and welcome to our caring.....
How is your mom feeling?
Re; Diet.....I did not have chemo.....I did have radiation......felt a lot of nausea and bloating.
Best suggestion, as mentioned earlier....reach out to the Dietician/Oncology Dept at the hospital where your mom will get her treatments.
I went directly to the dietician at Sunnybrook (Toronto) and she helped me.....gave me anti nausea suggestions....ginger tea......crackers......water.....less gassy foods to eat (ie no beans, no cabbage).  They are a wealth of ideas and support.
We are here for you and your mom.

Regards
Whitelilies

Lillian 

Posted by SinaK on Nov 26, 2020 8:52 pm

Thank you Whitelilies‍, My mom is doing well now. Thanks for asking and I am really glad being here in this wonderful and supportive community. 

I am going to talk to a Dietician as you suggested. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

Take care, 
Sina

Posted by Whitelilies on Nov 26, 2020 10:36 pm

SinaK‍ Hello Sina....also know...that most major Cancer Centres, have many disciplines on staff.....dietician....social worker....mine has a psychiatrist whose only role is to support cancer patients and families.......see if you can find a Patient Navigator too....this is a Nurse,and their main role is to support patients and families along the cancer journey.....they have a wealth of experience and can explain procedures, meds, etc. Mine was on my speed dial.
Help is out there......just ask.......
Reach the dietician......they will have many ideas to help your mom.
Regards
Whitelilies
Lillian

Posted by SinaK on Nov 27, 2020 7:48 am

Thank you so much  Whitelilies‍ for the information. 

Have a wonderful weekend, 
Sina

Posted by KenD on Nov 27, 2020 11:43 am

Hi Sina. I was diagnosed with MM out of the blue in March of this year. I was asymptomatic and it was caught early.  I began what they call the cybor-d protocol in early May. The bor is for bortezamib (sp). At first I was eating strictly good stuff - I was mostly on a Keto type diet before diagnosis - so I was low carb, low to no sugar... lots of veggies. but after a few months of chemo my taste for good food went out the window and I just ate what I could tolerate... for some reason potatoes were a favourite! Other than that, My body responded really well to chemo. I was in remission but had to stay on chemo longer than expected because of the covid cancellation backlog. Fortunately I got in for my stem cell transplant on Oct 9...   if your mom is going to go for a transplant and you have any questions, feel free to ask. I made it through very well (all things considered) and I’m getting closer to back to normal. 

All the best to you and your mom! 

Posted by SinaK on Nov 29, 2020 10:28 am

Thank you so much KenD‍  for sharing your experience. I'm glad that everything goes well on your side. I'll ask and get your help if my mom needs in the future.

I appreciate your support and help,

Take care, 
Sina