Hodgkin lymphoma- 6 months of Chemo or 4 months + 20 sessions of radiation

Hodgkin lymphoma- 6 months of Chemo or 4 months + 20 sessions of radiation

Posted by ABA on Aug 21, 2020 9:12 pm

I am 44 years old. My story is that I have been a healthy person in general, leading a healthy lifestyle, so the diagnosis came as a surprise for everyone.  I was diagnosed with HL, in April 2020, with any of the symptoms, just showed up on an X RAY as I was coughing and having difficulty to cure from a viral infection.

So my diagnosis is HL, Stage II A favourable, as I have had two lymph nodes areas- the neck and my diaphragm, NOT a bulky mass.

I have been receiving the treatment at Princess Margaret Hospital, ,Toronto.I have gone through 4 cycles of ABVD, my last treatment is this coming Tuesday. I relatively tolerate it well, yet, there are some days that I wish I could have felt better. My interim PET scan  (after two months of ABVD) was negative but my final one is scheduled for September.

Meanwhile I met with a radiologist and he presented two choices to me- two more months of ABVD or 20 sessions (20gy). They doctors have left it up to me to decide…. And this makes me very stressed out, as I am constantly weighing pros and cons of each. At the same time I do not want to self-teach myself medical science…. I wish the doctor had told me which option is best for me. He said, though, that if I do the radiation, the chances of lymphoma or another immune system cancer  to be back are lower than if I have added two months of ABVD. Yet, the radiation may provoke future cancers. So… I am at the crossroad. I want to seek the second opinion, someone to tell me what the best option is for me…..not sure if it is a wise decision….

Re: Hodgkin lymphoma- 6 months of Chemo or 4 months + 20 sessions of radiation

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Sep 1, 2020 2:51 pm

Hello ABA‍ 

I am sorry you haven't heard from anyone yet..
I wanted to give you a couple of links from cancer.ca that might be helpful for you.
Getting a second opinion: https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/living-with-cancer/your-healthcare-team/second-opinions/?region=bc  
Treatment options for HL: https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-type/hodgkin-lymphoma/treatment/?region=bc

I also want to tag a few recent members into the conversation here who may be able to share their experience with the different treatments. 

Barley71‍  Monica87romita‍  and Mommaluvzreece‍  - ( or any HL members )  are any of you able to share your treatment experience with ABA‍  ?

Thank you

Lianne

ABA‍  - when you do have to make this decision by?

Posted by Barley71 on Sep 1, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi there, I’m sorry you’ve been left to make this decision
my daughter is 25 and was diagnosed with stage 3 nodular sclerosis Hodgkin’s lymphoma in January . She did a total of 12 ABVD chemo treatments her last one was august 4th. She will have her final pet on September 4th . She was never given the choice for radiation and after her interim pet scan she was NED with a deuville score if 1 no uptake noted so the B - bleo was removed for the remainder of her chemo so she just received AVD
are you able to contact another oncologist for advice? I know it must be a terribly difficult decision to make 

Posted by ABA on Sep 1, 2020 11:12 pm

Thank you for the reply. Barley71‍ 
where did your daughter receive the treatment?
Her age is different and the type and the stage Are not the same as mine.... My score was 2.

Posted by Barley71 on Sep 2, 2020 3:45 pm

My daughter had her treatment in Sudbury 
your deauville score was 2 at your interim pet?

Posted by Elsie13 on Sep 3, 2020 5:15 pm

Glad to see you posting in the  discussions, Barley71‍ .  Is it OK if I go over the tagging method? You have a question for ABA‍  ?

So to tag someone, you type the @ symbol  and then immediately start typing the person's name.  Some blue boxes appear, and you click on the box that applies. 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by ABA on Sep 4, 2020 10:21 am

Yes, my deauville score was 2 at my interim.
Do you think it makes a difference?