I am 44 years old. My story is that I have been a healthy person in general, leading a healthy lifestyle, so the diagnosis came as a surprise for everyone. I was diagnosed with HL, in April 2020, with any of the symptoms, just showed up on an X RAY as I was coughing and having difficulty to cure from a viral infection.
So my diagnosis is HL, Stage II A favourable, as I have had two lymph nodes areas- the neck and my diaphragm, NOT a bulky mass.
I have been receiving the treatment at Princess Margaret Hospital, ,Toronto.I have gone through 4 cycles of ABVD, my last treatment is this coming Tuesday. I relatively tolerate it well, yet, there are some days that I wish I could have felt better. My interim PET scan (after two months of ABVD) was negative but my final one is scheduled for September.
Meanwhile I met with a radiologist and he presented two choices to me- two more months of ABVD or 20 sessions (20gy). They doctors have left it up to me to decide…. And this makes me very stressed out, as I am constantly weighing pros and cons of each. At the same time I do not want to self-teach myself medical science…. I wish the doctor had told me which option is best for me. He said, though, that if I do the radiation, the chances of lymphoma or another immune system cancer to be back are lower than if I have added two months of ABVD. Yet, the radiation may provoke future cancers. So… I am at the crossroad. I want to seek the second opinion, someone to tell me what the best option is for me…..not sure if it is a wise decision….