+ Reply
Post VATS right middle lobe recovery
Rich
3 Posts

Hi all, I'm scheduled for a video assisted thoracoscopy on my right middle lobe to remove a 38mm X 17 mm “nodule” at the end of next month. A biopsy will be done on the removed growth during surgery. I'm 70 and in generally decent health but only have one kidney; so I am not a candidate for chemo. What am I in for? Will I be able to look after myself when I'm released from hospital? How long did it take you to get back on your feet?

9 Replies

@Rich

Hello and welcome. Kudos on your first post. I am including a thread to check out about other member's VATS experience. You can find it here: https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/68/73408?post_id=394731#p394731

In it, you will read about @Nicky01 and their VATS surgery experience.

How are you feeling as you wait for the surgery next month?

Lianne

Nicky01
326 Posts

Hello @Rich ! Welcome to the group. I had the VATS surgery and you can read about what you are in for as far as the surgery is concerned when you click on the link Lianne posted for you I wrote what to expect with VATS surgery. Yes I was able to look after myself after the surgery, the day of the surgery I actually walked one km and 3 km the next day and I kept going adding more everyday when I got home. I was home on the third day and I actually worked a bit in my greenhouse and I was able to fix dinner myself. I was completely back on my feet after about a week but I made sure to follow doctors and the therapist orders by doing my exercises, walking a lot and doing my breathing exercises with the spirometer the hospital had given me.

It is of course different for each person that has a surgery but I was like you kind of apprehensive about having a lobectomy and I was actually amazed at how fast my recovery was, I was 67 at the time of my surgery. I wish you all the best and if you feel up to it come back after your surgery to give us an update on how you are doing or even come back any time before your surgery and chat. If you don’t mind me asking what date is your surgery scheduled for?

Nicky

@Nicky01
Thank you so much for answering the tag and connecting with @Rich

Much appreciated

Lianne

Rich
3 Posts

@Nicky01
Thanks Nicky, I've been getting some awful stories from people about their relatives who had milar procedures and been flat on their backs for as much as 6 weeks; it's nice to know that it might not be that bad. Surgery is scheduled for Feb. 28, wish me luck.🤞

Rich
3 Posts

@Lianne_Moderator
Hi Lianne, I live alone and my moods been up and down like a yoyo, most of the time I've just been trying to stay busy and not worry about it. I've actually been more concerned about what to do with my dog if I can't look after him for a few weeks.

1f728189bb72fa2dc3cada04d8a815a6-huge-im

@Rich

What a beautiful dog and a great picture. I can certainly understand the yoyo of emotions along with worrying about your dog's care. Is there a neighbour, friend or family member who can help with feeding and walks while you still enjoy your pup's company once you are home from the hospital?

Lianne

Cynthia Mac
4217 Posts
Rich‍ I saw your post and your photo with who must clearly be your best friend, because the look on his face says, you are clearly HIS best friend… so I thought I would chime in with some ideas for you in the event you have to have surgery:

- contact your vet to see if they have a network of people who can help you out. They may work with a dog rescue organization who can find you a foster home for a few weeks. If they aren’t working directly with such an organization
- reach out to one. I would recommend a shepherd-specific rescue service, which will give you the best chance of finding a temporary home with people familiar with the needs of that specific breed.
- contact other local vets in your area to see if they know of temporary care options or organizations that might be able to help
- ask around your work to see if anyone there can help you out.

#petsitter
Nicky01
326 Posts

@Richwhat a beautiful picture of you and your furry friend. Don’t worry about the horror stories you happen to hear out there…just dismiss them, most of the time people are talking about surgeries that happened years ago and like anything else there is a constant advancement in the way they do any kind of surgery now specially lung surgery. Also do yourself a favour and do not use Google to find out any infos about this …..doctor Google is the worst one to go to, there is a lot of misinformation and also outdated information on the internet. I am sure that you have a very qualified and reliable team of healthcare people looking after you….trust them they’ve got your back. It won’t be long now one more month it gives you plenty of time to get ready, you can get some meal ready and frozen for when you come back home even though I did I was actually able to do my own cooking right away when I came back home but it never hurts to have some ready just for the days when you might prefer to have some already done. Also bring a good pair of walking shoes I know for myself that’s what I did the most….a lot of walking, bring a tablet, cross word puzzle, a book, favorite blanket.

Surgery is always different from one person to the next just remember that you can do this, you’ve got this, I will be thinking about you on February 28 prayers are sent your way. Will be waiting to hear how your surgery went when you will feel like it and are able to.

Nicky

Hope2022
18 Posts

@Rich I had a RATS surgery which is basically the same as a VATS in sep 2022 and I was up and walking the next day and was ready to go home on day 2. I had a little set back at the hospital but my situation is quite rare. i currently walk approximately 4 km a day with no cough or shortness of breath. You will be fine. Don’t refer to dr Google!

all the best to you

+ Reply