+ Reply
Docetaxel vs Gemcitabine
Oriole
41 Posts
Morning, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the above captioned drugs. Unfortunately my cancer is progressing and I have been offered either of the above as palliative care.
I am stopping the Pemetrexed maintenance and after my experience with that, I am hesitant to have any further chemo. (The side effects were making my life a misery)
My understanding is it may help slow the inevitable progression and at this point I don’t know if it would be worth it.

Oriole
5 Replies
ACH2015
2486 Posts

@Oriole

Hi Oriole,

I am curious to know if your oncologist offered any recommendation for one drug over the other. When I was to undergo chemotherapy for my (unknown primary) cancer, I went with the drug that was more likely than the other to offer better results. I know this is not always possible, as results and side effects will vary with each of us. Also, has there been any discussion toward clinical trials or immunotherapy for you? I am going to give you a link from the Canadian Cancer Society that talks about clinical trials: https://cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/resources/publications/clinical-trials

I wish you well in your treatment choices.

ACH2015

Oriole
41 Posts

@ACH2015

Thank you for your response. I have undergone chemo/radiation initially (cisplatin,etoposide, 30 radiation sessions) Followed by 13 treatments of durvalumlab which was discontinued due to pneumonitis. Unfortunately I have no targetable mutations. When the cancer progressed I was then given a cycle of carboplatin and Pemetrexed, followed by Pemetrexed maintenance. To be frank, the side effects of the Pemetrexed were becoming unbearable and I was considering stopping the Pemetrexed.

My oncologist has recommended the Gemcitabine as it has less side effects. Both drugs however can cause pneumonitis. That I find interesting because that is why the immunotherapy was terminated and my understanding was all immunotherapy was off the table for that reason.

I am really starting to weigh quality vs quantity of life. Never imagined I would be in this position.

Oriole

ACH2015
2486 Posts

@Oriole

Hi Oriole,

Thank you for providing details of your treatments. Your treatment path has been extensive. I too was on immunotherapy (clinical trial) after a recurrence of my Stage IV cancer in 2017/18. The immunotherapy did not work, caused severe side effects, and I ended up with a 4th surgery in 2018. Since then I have been NED.

I hope you participate in treatment(s) that give you both quantity and quality of life.

Keep well

ACH2015

@Oriole

I haven't run into either of those being used in #LungCancer though I have run into them in the colorectal world and breast cancer sphere. You might find more people by posting in the treatment and side effects part of the forum? https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewcategory/48

Angus

Oriole
41 Posts
+ Reply