+ Reply
It has been awhile
Katz123
8 Posts
Hi everyone ,
It has been awhile since I posted . Still read everything. Thought I was in the recovery stages. Found out last Tuesday that isn’t the case. Starting Chemo again . Not in a great state of mind . Trying to get out of it just feeling all the emotions again . With everything that is going on in the world why was I one of unlucky ones to be forgotten. Sorry if I hear one more due to Covid-19…….
9 Replies
Laia
36 Posts
So sorry for this turn in the road. I am 10 months in with this cancer. Still have difficulty with acceptance. The Immunotherapy treatment is working as the tumour in the right lung has shrunk about 85%. Next week, I have been asked to meet with a Radiation doctor to discuss this type of treatment. I have to be honest. I am terrified of radiation as I have read many of the comments here as well as research the effects.
So for all who are facing this terrible disease, my prayers are with you. Stay strong and hold on to hope.

Laia
Katz123
8 Posts
Thank u
Dave58
172 Posts

@Katz123 Just remember your a part of this Family now and are never alone. We'll stand WITH You no matter what you need in support of everything you're going through. I begin radiation tomorrow for 5 days then to chemo the 1st week of Sept for several weeks. Some times it can be over whelming, crazy, scary by it's self or combined. Please keep us updated so we can support you. You're on my prayer list.

Laia
36 Posts

HiDave, @Dave58

i have a meeting next week on radiation and chemo. What type of questions should I ask. I am terrified of this next step.in December, the radiation was refused as it was high risk. With Immunotheraoy, the tumour has shrunk from the size of my fist to a postage stamp.
what type of chemo will you given? Is radiation every day?
I appreciate whatever information you can give me.

laia

Katz123
8 Posts

Thank u Dave . I have treatment 3 days this week

Dave58
172 Posts

@Laia I'm starting radiation today for 5 days then the 1st week of Sept I begin Immunotherapy chemo

Cynthia Mac
3338 Posts
Katz123‍ And Laia

I’m sorry to hear that you are both back in treatment (or heading there). I still remember exactly where I was when I learned that Dad’s lung cancer had metastasized and how devastated *I* was, let alone how he must have felt.

Fortunately, he, too, responded well to his immunotherapy, and we had him with us for almost another year before his age and other circumstances took over.

Dad was on cisplatin and pemetrexed and his immunotherapy drug was pembroluzimab (Keytruda) Dad didn’t have radiation, but I think questions I would have are
  • Where will the radiation be targeted? If you already know where your tumours are, you might already have an idea, but where you might think they’ll go at it from the front, they might go from another angle.
  • could the radiation affect other organs, or “stuff”? I have heard of people having radiation on the lung that can affect the esophagus, so you’d want to be prepared for that
  • what medications will I be given? As you know, you don’t “just” get chemo, you usually get some steroids and “gravol with attitude.”
You can add your own questions!
Laia
36 Posts
Thanks. I am going to have both daughters with me. One is an oncology nurse,the other is a policy writer. We shall prepare our questions.

the doctor said yesterday that her understanding from the discussion table was that the treatment would be curative if the scan shows not Mets anywhere else.

thus that is a big plus going into this discussion. I am nervous and frightened.

thank you. I will keep you posted,

laia
Oriole
10 Posts

@Laia

It is frightening, but so encouraging that the treatment is curative. I underwent concurrent radiation and chemo. 32 radiation sessions and 12 chemo infusions over six weeks. It is manageable, the days are long but the weeks go fast. The worst effects I experienced were constipation and indigestion that seemed to start after the second round of chemo. In hindsight I should have treated the constipation when I first saw a change in my habits. The radiation treatment affected the skin on my back (sore) and my esophagus (felt somewhat sore and constricted). This was in about the last 2 weeks of treatment. Throughout the 6 weeks I was fatigued but still able to grocery shop, cook, do light housework. I had a PICC line which restricted use of my right arm. I would say the second half is tougher then the first. It has been almost 3 months since my last treatment and I still have indigestion and some occasional pain in my back where they did the radiation. Other then that I am doing okay, have had 4 immunotherapy treatments so far. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask. Best wishes on this next leg of the journey.

Oriole

+ Reply