Stage 3A Lung Cancer

Re: Stage 3A Lung Cancer

Posted by MommyT on Oct 2, 2020 5:20 pm

Yes, the pain in my esophagus is almost gone! Yayyy! I am almost back to normal on my diet, although I don't know that I can handle the herbs and spices that I used to. Baby steps. When I was staying at the cancer lodge, they had a study where the cancer patients staying there could learn how to use the Nordic walking poles and borrow them. I ended up buying a pair and I am back walking twice a day with them. My husband did push me a bit as the first little while, I did more sleeping than not, but he did nudge me along so I would move more. I am thankful for that!
Now I am waiting for my CT scan - October 28 and my oncologist appointments.
Thank you for thinking of me. I am still resting lots, but I'm also moving around lots too. 
You take good care too! This is such a wonderful group!

Never give up on HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by jorola on Oct 2, 2020 6:13 pm

I am so happy for you MommyT‍ ! I hated to hear you were having those esophagus problems. Probably smart to stick to baby steps when introducing things that are tart or spicy. My hubby started gobbling food once he could though. He was so starving and he just plain loved food anyway so ya he went nuts on food once he could eat without pain again.
Good on hubby for giving loving gentle pushes. LOL i think i need some right now to get my house work done! Seriously that sounds like a good man. And good for you for pushing yourself. It is not easy and goodness knows you had a valid excuse. However look at all the good you have done yourself getting up and getting moving around.
We will certainly be thinking of you on the 28th. Please let us know how it does. Wishing you all the best.
Live, Laugh, Love

Posted by MommyT on Oct 2, 2020 7:54 pm

It was so great ... I did have troubles with eating and at some point with keeping food down, but my hubby pushed me and I pushed myself - I only lost 5 pounds! He cooked delicious meals when I was home and kept a close eye on what I ate. He is a wonderful man and wonderful partner - he has certainly been my rock! I am so blessed! 
Things are slowly getting back to normal and I am eating more!
I will definitely let you know after mid November what my chemo oncologist says. I will see the radiation oncologist later in October, but I won't have the CT scan until after I see her.

Posted by MommyT on Nov 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Hello all - I had my oncologist appointment today and she is happy with my progress. I will be starting immunotherapy in the next week or so. She's changed it up a bit so that I will be going in once every 4 weeks rather than every 2 weeks (better with the covid). It sounds like there may be some side effects, but it seems to be okay for the most part. Yayyy! A friend asked me if I was cancer free - and I forgot to ask my oncologist! It sounds like I need to do this final step, then the outlook is good!

Digestive issues are all gone ... I've started Nordic Pole walking and I am going between 2 and 4 miles a day. My appetite is good and I feel really good! I'm hopeful that this is a good sign. I'm waiting on pins and needles to start the immunotherapy so that I can kick this cancer in the butt - right out of my life - FOREVER!

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Nov 18, 2020 9:55 am

Great update MommyT‍ , sounds like you can't start soon enough. Great to hear you are feeling ready 😊

Have you seen this short video on Immunotherapy?

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Nov 18, 2020 10:24 am

MommyT‍ 

What great news. If your oncologist is like mine they probably would have hedged their bets at this point on NED. Immunotherapy is like the cleanup hitter in baseball. It comes in to make sure the bases are cleaned up. Cancer cells can float around in little corners and this approach makes sure that they don't come back.

Side effects from the various immunotherapy are generally pretty mild. Fatigue was my greatest one. I was on durvalumab (Imfinzi) every two weeks. Walking and exercise helped a great deal with this though. I did get sideswiped by a loss of TSH production by my pituitary gland. Subtle but my oncologist caught it and sent me to an endocrinologist who monitors my thyroid levels. Unfortunately this side effect is permanent and I'll be on synthyroid for the rest of my life. Small price to pay though for life!

The move to every four weeks has become the new standard of care. The important thing is that it reduces your potential exposure to covid-19.

I'm curious did they check for PDL1 expression and which of the immunotherapy are you on?

Angus

My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by MommyT on Nov 18, 2020 2:07 pm

WestCoastSailor‍ Thanks for the great information! I had forgotten to ask if the cancer was all gone. She did say that the spots in my lung are likely from radiation. I will be having x-rays periodically so they can see any changes. I asked her about the PDL1 expression and she said she's going to request the testing. I am on  durvalumab (Imfinzi) - same as you were. I am anxious to get started so I can put this cancer behind me! 
My oncologist did mention the thyroid and will be doing regular blood tests.
Lacey_Moderator‍  Thank you for the video. This is a good one to send on to my kids. I'm not sure that I explained it very well to them.
What a great site! This has definitely been my lifeline over this journey.

Posted by Rayline on Nov 18, 2020 10:09 pm

MommyT‍ such good news for you. I wish you lots of luck with your next step of treatment.

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Nov 20, 2020 9:51 am

Great news MommyT‍ !!

I'm glad you found the video helpful. We have a whole video series. I wanted to give you the link to make it easier to share: https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-101/cancer-basics-video-series/?region=qc

Posted by MommyT on Nov 20, 2020 4:53 pm

WestCoastSailor‍ Hi - I was wondering what the significance of the PDL1 expression. Thanks!

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Nov 20, 2020 6:41 pm

MommyT‍ 

PDL1 is the mutation that is being targeted by the immunotherapy. It is usually checked before beginning the treatment to ensure the drug will be effective. In my case it was checked after the fact, found to be low and my immunotherapy treatment was stopped after nine months when the oncologist found progression.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by jorola on Nov 26, 2020 10:47 pm

MommyT‍ I am so glad you got great news. May the good news keep on a'coming! Big virtual hugs to you!
Live, Laugh, Love

Posted by MommyT on Nov 27, 2020 8:35 pm

I got my first immunotherapy today - no hiccups, except yesterday the fan (for the pharmacist) was broken and I had to go back today to get the infusion. So far, so good! Just waiting for it to do its work! They say it could take a couple of months before it actually does anything, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

L