Intro - Martin

Intro - Martin

Posted by Martin888 on Jun 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi,
Just started chemo and radiation. Had a partial lung removed last year and bit of a surprise to find new cancer in other lung. Some spots in lymph nodes...I'm struggling a bit with side effects and looking on site for advice and thoughts. Cheers, Martin

Re: Intro - Martin

Posted by Brighty on Jun 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Martin888‍   Welcome Martin!!   I was just skimming through posts and saw yours.    I'm sorry you have to find yourself here for the reason you did.   But glad you found us here.      Side effects are different for each person.   I'm going to introduce you to a few folks you can chat with.   Please meet WestCoastSailor‍ 
BigD‍ 
Faye‍ 
Dave73‍ 
Elliemac‍ 
‍  I'm also trying to tag Ron27 but my computer is not allowing me.
I hope you can connect with these members and whoever else sees this post and would like to join the discussion with Martin.      

Posted by BigD on Jun 12, 2019 9:34 pm

Hello Martin and welcome to this site.  You mentioned having various side effects from your chemo/radiation. What kind?  Personally I had very few and they were easily managed.  Of course the heavy duty chemo anti-nausea drugs help quell some but also cause others. I quickly learned to take 2 senekot when I got home from the chemo treatment-the anti-nausea drugs are very constipating.  The chemo nurses will answer all your questions re side effects.  I found the worst part of the radiation was the weariness-actually dozing off before leaving the parking lot.  Mind you my 6 week treatment schedule was from early July till 17 August and living in BC, our forest fire season.  Breathing was sometimes difficult and dependant on the target radiation area, I had some swallowing  problems. Both chemo nurses and radiation techs know their stuff so if you have a specific side effect, they would probably be the go to person!

How many chemo/radiaition treatments will you be having?  I had a total 6 chemo and 30 radiation last year for a stage 3 lung cancer.  

Good luck on your journey and keep on coming back to this site. Cheers!

Donna

Posted by Faye on Jun 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Martin888‍ 
I am sorry you are dealing with a second Lung cancer diagnosis.
If I understand right you are currently doing radiation and chemo at the same time and having side effects from this. 
I was diagnosed with lung cancer in August 2016 and received radiation and chemo at the same time. I won’t sugarcoat it as it was a tough time doing both at the same time but once the radiation was finished the rest of the chemo treatments were much easier.
How many radiation treatments to you have to do and what chemo meds are you taking?
I want you to know that as intense the treatment was I would do it again if I need to as I have had almost 3 years of relatively good health.
Please know that the people on this forum will be very supportive and be sure and ask when you need help or just people who have been there who are here to support each other.
Continue to reach out and let us know how you are feeling.
Faye

Posted by Martin888 on Jun 13, 2019 2:08 am

Hi Faye‍ 
Thanks for insights. I'm about half way thru, 14 out of 30 radiations and starting cycle 2 of 2 on Tues. Up now ( 2 am) due to coughing and some pain in chest. I also have COPD, dealing with this after treatments. It is good to hear from others and positive feedback. Much appreciated, Martin

Posted by Martin888 on Jun 13, 2019 2:15 am

Hi Donna BigD‍ 

Thanks. I'm on CIS/VIN chemo and daily radiation. I'm mostly dealing with some pain due to anti reflux and have some drugs which seem to help. My big issue was non-stop hiccups last week ( side effect chemo) which lasted about 5 days. The drugs to help also had side effects so I had a bad time. Ok now but worried about round 2 of chemo on Tues. On hydro morphone to help with pain and also tried to medical weed. half way there and will try to rest more. Cheers, Martin

Posted by Dave73 on Jun 13, 2019 4:24 pm

hello Martin888‍ , welcome to the site. Sorry what you are going through right now. I have stage 4 cancer primary in my lung, and secondary on my femur bone. ive completed 5 bouts of radiation on femur so far.it seemed pretty easy until one night I happened to be admitted to hospital, while there I ran a fever of 38.3, dr said was probably, radiation sickness I believe he called, it was pretty rough night. I am on immunotherapy now and the only side effect is fatigue lots of naps. I have only done one dose so im hoping that's it and crossing my fingers. any question you have I can answer let me know
Dave

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Jun 13, 2019 8:56 pm

Martin888‍ 

I had to laugh when I read about the hiccups. And I only laugh because that was one of the worst side effects I had.

I was initially diagnosed with male breast cancer. (not that it's any different from breast cancer - just that most people don't realize that guys can get it.) The first thing was to check for metastasis. A bone scan turned up nothing. The pelvic and upper body CT scan though found a mass in my right lung. Further testing confirmed that it was NSCLC (non small cell lung cancer). A PET scan confirmed that it was in some lymph nodes between the lungs as well as some small spots in the right lung staging it at 3C.

The breast cancer receded into the background at this point with the prority being treatment of the lung and lymph tumour. They took a curative approach  with aggressive chemo/radiation of the tumours. Six cycles of Paclitaxol/Carboplatin over six weeks with concurrent thirty days of radiation. "The first two weeks will be a breeze. By the third week you'll start to feel some effects. And the final two weeks will leave you on the ropes." said the chemo nurse. True that.

But it was Dexamethasone or as some refer to it Dex or as I call it "the drug I love to hate" that gave me hiccups. Sounds cute. Not at all. These were jackhammer hiccups that left me doubled over in agony. When I tried to get the doc to reduce the dosage he wouldn't. I had had an allergic reaction to Paclitaxol on my second infusion. And it wasn't worth the risk of a repeat performance.

I found the radiation techs were the best. I saw them every day and when something was a little off the pushed me across the hall to the nurse and on call oncologist. Because the radiation targets were so close to my throat I had trouble swallowing and just awesome heartburn. I never did get so bad that I needed the "Pink Lady" a concoction that contains an anesthetic that allows you to swallow and eat.  Story not told to scare you but to ask for help with side effects if you need it. Most are quite manageable.

We have quite the little lung cancer bunch her on the forum and one way or another we can usually come up with some support and ideas if you run into trouble.

Stay in touch and know that we are thinking of you.

Angus

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 20, 2019 5:47 pm

Martin888‍ 

Hi Martin - just checking in to see how you are doing. How did your cycle 2 go on Tuesday?

Lianne

Posted by Martin888 on Jun 21, 2019 7:38 am

Hi,

Thanks for asking. Cycle 2 had same bad side effects starting day 2, now bit better this mroning. Mostly overall chest pain and hiccups).Chlorprmazine and baclofen seem to help. Hopefully will feel much better in few more days.
Cheers! Martin

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 21, 2019 11:20 am

Martin888‍ sorry to hear it was much the same. Will be wishing you better days over the weekend 

Lianne 

Posted by jorola on Jun 26, 2019 6:26 am

Hi Martin888‍ 
I am sorry you are getting those dreadful hiccups! My hubby got them too and they never seemed like they were going to end! Good news is that they did. I hope you have been able to avoid the chemo farts! Hubby's were so bad even our teenage boys were grossed out and cleared the room - now that is saying something. Seriously I hope the hiccups are kept at bay for you. You are more than half way there now!
All the best,
Jodie

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Jun 27, 2019 9:12 pm

Martin888‍ 

Half way through. You are almost there then. Keep chugging along. The good news is the treatments will end and you will start to improve. In my experience I took as much time to come back up to snuff as I had been on treatment.

Thanks for staying in touch.

Angus