PCI ( Prophylactic cranial irradiation ) as a preventive measure ?

PCI ( Prophylactic cranial irradiation ) as a preventive measure ?

Posted by caroontario on May 31, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi everyone !
My husband as finished treatments for limited Small cell lung cancer and on his last visit to the oncologist the doctor suggested " whole brain radiation " as a preventive measure  (10 treatments) .
My question is have any of you or a loved one ever received this type of radiation, although we know of the basic side effects my husband is totally terrified of permanent memory loss.
And of course the doctor gave us only the basis regarding the side effects . So I thank you in advance .
Hope everyone is doing as well as possible :)
Thank you take care !
Carole

Re: PCI ( Prophylactic cranial irradiation ) as a preventive measure ?

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on May 31, 2019 1:37 pm

caroontario‍ 
I am hopeful you will get some responses from our members who have had first had experience with this. Lee Ellen‍ did post about having had this done earlier this year and perhaps can share their experience.
In the meantime, I found this on cancer.ca:
http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-type/lung/treatment/treatment-for-small-cell-lung-cancer/?region=bc

Happy to hear that your husband has finished his treatments ( thus far?) and wish you both well as you navigate this decision and possible next step of treatments.

Keep us posted

Lianne

Posted by caroontario on May 31, 2019 4:16 pm

Thank you, we have both read up on it but the info is so general so I'm hoping to have some more personal review on it .
Merci :)
Carole

Posted by Lee Ellen on Jun 2, 2019 6:35 pm

Hello, @caroontario,

I'm Lee Ellen, from Atlanta, Ga. I'm sorry for your husband's situation, and, of course, for yours. I, too, have limited-stage S.C.L.C. I've been through surgery and chemotherapy, and am now in the middle of radiation therapy targeted at a new nodule that might be a recurrence of the S.C.L.C., or might be a new cancer.

I had expected my oncologist to recommend P.C.I., but he's very much against it in my case. He says that I would be likely to have a greatly diminished quality of life, given the memory loss and mental fog that would accompany that treatment and that might be permanent.

Below is a link to an article that gives a very different view of P,C.I. The article is from 2000, but my understanding is that not much has changed in the treatment of S.C.L.C. during the 19 years since the article was published.

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/content/5/4/299.full

This is a link to a 2019 article reviewing previous literature on the subject of P.C.I. in patients with small cell lung cancer. The finding was that it did not affect the overall survival rate.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30665432

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Jun 3, 2019 5:07 pm

Lee Ellen‍ 

Thank you for answering my tag and clarifying my error in thinking you have had it done. Appreciate the information you have provided caroontario‍ 

Lianne

Posted by caroontario on Jun 4, 2019 8:22 am

Lee Ellen‍ 
Thank you very much for responding and I'm so sorry to read that you are dealing with a new nodule and wish you all the very best. 
And thanks for sending those links , I will read trough them again . My husband is having a hard time deciding especially because his sister passed away 2 years ago from S.C.L.C that had metastasised to the brain but then she had been diagnosed much later than he was.
Thank you
Carole