Stage 4 lung cancer

Re: Stage 4 lung cancer

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on May 21, 2019 11:00 am

Dave73‍ 

I'm so glad you got away camping this weekend with your family and glad you got to use the tent ⛺ emoji ☺. I bet it must have been wonderful to do something normal?? How were the kids?

It sounds like the smoke irritated your lungs if the coughing persists doesn't hurt to mention it to the Doctor. Next trip someone else needs to be on campfire duty!

Lacey

Posted by Dave73 on May 21, 2019 11:08 am

Oh it was so nice to something normal I didn’t think about the stupid cancer at all. Weather was nice, even had to put sunscreen on lol. The kids had a blast playing on the beach, games, geocaching and campfire games, it’s weird though the minute I left that campground reality hit again pretty hard and emotional for me 😢, but would never trade that weekend for nothing

Posted by jorola on May 21, 2019 11:21 am

Campfire smoke still bothers Mick's lungs somewhat Dave73‍ .  An inhaler has helped with that. It seems just to be way of things now for him. It is less irritating now than it was 4 years ago though. Maybe try wearing one of those surgical masks for right now as you are just starting out on your treatment. I do agree with Lacey_adminCCS‍ that you should mention this to your drs as well. Never hurts to be safe either.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on May 22, 2019 9:26 am

Dave73‍ - good for you for finding a place that had SUNSHINE on a May 24 weekend! I’ve wanted to visit long point for a long time, and now you’ve given me some incentive!

Posted by Faye on May 22, 2019 11:16 am

Dave73‍ 
Glad to hear you had a fun weekend and could put your diagnosis in the background for a couple of days.
It sounds like the smoke irritated your lungs but be sure to pursue it if it doesn’t get better. As you know I am about 3 years post diagnosis and the smoke from the forest fires last year really irritated my lungs. I also find high humidity levels are hard on my lungs so have learned to adjust to things that bother me. Try not to give up the things you and your family enjoy try and learn how to do them without harming your condition. I always carry an inhaler although very seldom have to use it.
Faye

Posted by Dave73 on May 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Well back in the hospital again, yesterday was coughing up copious amounts of blood, irritated from coughing, also doesn’t help that I’m on blood thinners from my surgery, they will not let me go from the hospital until they no the bleeding has stopped, they are going to scope my lungs this afternoon and if it’s bleeding they would zap it to stop the bleeding, but the problem is they want me on blood thinners as well, nothing like sitting in emergency for 16 hrs, and still no beds available upstairs, where I need to go. At least I’m only 100 ft from my last radiation treatments today then bring on immunotherapy, sorry but I just needed to vent

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on May 23, 2019 12:42 pm

Dave73‍ 

Don't be sorry vent anytime!

I'm sorry to hear you are in hospital and are stuck in emergency. But I'm so glad you got checked out and are where you can get the care you need. 

Hang in there and please keep us posted.

Thinking of you,
Lacey

Posted by jorola on May 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Dave73‍ venting is healthier than stuffing all those feelings deep down and not dealing with them. That only results in snapping at people who do not deserve it, stomping around the house and moping and then eventual and inevitable blowup/meltdown/explosion (pick an adjective) that follows. Sorry probably didn't help I started watching HBO's new mini series Chernobyl - all the descriptive words I used there. Good show for a distraction if you can handle it but fair warning not a good show in a way as it is terrifyingly honest and visual so sad and maddening.
This journey has bumps in it hun. Some bigger than others. Try to go with the flow. Know this will not be the only one so focus on each one as they come along with you being the winner at the end. That's why many call it a marathon. Conserve and moderate your energy. Definitely vent away and get it out of your system. I used to call these times, "my moments."  When I was alone I would just stop and cry till I could cry no more and lay in bed, on the floor or whatever and refuse to get up. Once I stopped and laid/sat there for some time to relax. Then I would get up/sit up/just get moving again. I found these moments exhausting yet surprisingly refreshing. Kinda like an emotional cleanse. But that is what worked for me. Dave you will find what works for you (so long as whatever it is does not infringe on the rights of others of course) and when you do just make sure you do it when you need to. Do you have any hobbies? Or ways you used to take out frustrations that you can still do now? What were they? What have you got to keep yourself busy while you are in the hospital? Is someone sneaking you in real food?
Jodie

Posted by Brighty on May 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Dave73‍    I'm so sorry to hear you are in hospital .   Please feel free to vent on here any time. . That is exactly  what we are here for!!! Please keep us posted Dave.      

Posted by Dave73 on May 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi Jodi 
i appreciate your wisdom and experiences, it helps so much knowing that people do understand the long and tedious journey ahead of me. I found  in the beginning like you said if I didn’t vent somehow, I was usually trying to take it out on some driver that cut me off, or some idiot that looked at me the wrong way and it’s not fair your right. Kickboxing and weightlifting used to help me with blowing off steam, can’t kick anymore so I just box, help blow off steam a lot, my wife and my kids are keeping me company at the hospital, but mostly my wife, and ohya the treats are being snuck in lol. Looks like I’m here till Sunday so I might as well make the best of it, again thanks so much for listening 
Dave

Posted by Faye on May 23, 2019 5:15 pm

Dave73‍ 
Sorry to hear you are in hospital but glad you are receiving the care you need. 
Also glad that you are coping  with a good attitude with this setback.There will be bumps in the road just when you think things are going smoothly. I think you are coping well and when you need to vent this is a good place.
Speedy recovery.
Faye

Posted by Aries on May 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Dave73‍ - Hey, so sorry to hear you are in hospital but glad you are getting the care you need and hopefully a bed will be available soon so you can get out of emergency; I know how it feels being stuck in there!
As others have said, vent away; that's what we are here for - better out than in! 
Take care and let us know how things go.

Posted by Scoot on May 24, 2019 4:32 am

Hi Dave73‍, sorry to hear you have run into this glitch.  You're right, the excessive coughing has probably caused the bleeding.  This has happened to me two times, however no where near the degree that you have though.  Once they can control this episode the docs may give you some meds and strategies that you try to control the coughing in the future so this won't keep happening.  Wishing you all the best and let us know how you make out. 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on May 24, 2019 8:11 am

Dave73‍ - just chiming in to pass along more support - I hope someone brings you in a nice, thick, old-fashioned vanilla milkshake!

Scoot‍ - you’ve reminded me - after Dad had his surgery, they told him that if he needed to cough, to press a pillow up against his rib cage over the surgical site. - I wonder if this might help minimize the jolting of the coughing? You both could ask about that.