Stage 4 lung cancer

Re: Stage 4 lung cancer

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on May 31, 2019 11:33 pm

Hi Dave73‍ 
Add me to the list of people who have been thinking of you. Good to hear the pneumonia and fever are under control. Will keep my fingers crossed for Monday but obviously getting past this bump in the road is most important no matter how long it takes.

Wishing you well over the weekend and look forward to an update early next week

Lianne

Posted by Aries on Jun 1, 2019 2:12 am

Hi Dave73‍ - sorry you are still in hospital but glad you are starting to get better and getting the proper care you need to be able to start immunotherapy. Thanks for the update and let us know for Monday!
Best wishes and hugs to you and your family.

Posted by Scoot on Jun 1, 2019 8:10 am

Dave73‍ I'm keeping you in my thoughts as well.  Let's hope Monday brings you good news!!!  Sorry you needed to go through this.

Posted by Runner Girl on Jun 1, 2019 8:43 am

Hi Dave73‍ ,

I've been following your story.  I'm sorry you've had such a time of it.  I'm also sorry it's so hard on your kids.  You seem to be on the mend now and that's the most important thing.  I'll keep you in my prayers for a release to home on Monday.  

As others have said, we are all pulling for you.  

Runner Girl

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jun 1, 2019 10:43 am

Dave73‍ Thanks for the update! I’m glad to hear that you’re still under the active surveillance of those medical professional types and that they’re doing good by you. I’m sure you know that if you didn’t need them, they’d send you home!

Aries‍ , thanks for asking the question many of us have been thinking!

Dave, having your immunotherapy postponed a week IS a blow, and it’s certainly devastating in the moment. As others have pointed out, though, it IS going to happen, just not on your preferred timetable.

As Runner Girl‍  (and Red Green) said, “We’re pullin’ for ya!” I hope all goes more to plan next week.

Posted by Faye on Jun 1, 2019 11:07 am

Dave73‍ 
Glad to hear you are recovering and hopefully you will be able to start your treatment soon.
I know it is exhausting waiting and worrying about treatment and all the questions that go with it. 
I found that once I started treatment I could focus on recovery instead of the disease, and on the tough days I would try to remember that this was the cost to becoming cancer free.
Hang in there ,be strong and enjoy the visits with your family.
Fingers crossed for next week.

Posted by Dave73 on Jun 1, 2019 4:18 pm

thank you so much for the kind words and motivation to continue to stay positive, which at this point is hard but I will continue to keep my smile on my face and keep positive thoughts in my mind. I have come to understand that one week will not be devastating to me treatments, if anything might be a positive thing, making sure the infection is totally gone so my immune system can work on the cancer only, not the infection first. I’ve also noticed while being here how short staffed nurses are. There are literally no beds, I’m actually not even were I’m supposed to be in the hospital, the oncology unit is totally full with patients. Our good old government system, though with all that I have had many wonderful caring nurses and dr here at the Juravinski. Like I said last time we talked about getting out of the hospital I wasn’t going to cross my fingers, Well.... dr came in this morning said Tuesday morning will be the day to get out now that will put my on 7 complete days of antibiotics vancomycin, and 1 more antibiotics I can’t remember the name. They are reducing my steroid dexa. (Long name I can’t speel😆) to get me ready for my immunotherapy on Thursday which is good. I’ll keep my spirits high and hope for the best. Thank you all 

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Jun 2, 2019 8:37 pm

Dave73‍  As usual I'm late to the party but know that we are all rooting for you.

Dex was my favorite drug to love to hate. So many side effects for me. Be careful though with the credit cards. Seriously somehow it can lower the inhibition to buy. I bought a new printer which I clearly didn't need and a few other things under the influence of dexamethasone (or as I and many others call it Dex.)

So glad the infection is getting beaten down. Enjoy those kids.

Angus

Posted by jorola on Jun 2, 2019 9:17 pm

WestCoastSailor‍ - I completely agree - Dex - the drug you love to hate. COuld not have said it better and yes hide the credit cards and debit visa cards too. Here's why. Mick, my husband, went through a few thousand dollars shopping online while on Dex. I thought I solved it when I took away the VISA but forgot about the debit VISA. OI. Eventually straightened that out too. Also Mick never slept while on Dex so I never slept. When his mom was on it she went psychotic so I honestly didn't trust him. The difference was she was on a very high dose due to a brain tumor. Mick's was not as high as hers but still I could see a few times rage flash in his eyes but he quickly controlled it. That is another nasty side effect - anger.
At the same time Dex does to the job. I occasionally have to go on it when my MRSA infection in my lungs flares up and I cannot breathe. It allows me to breathe again. That's a good thing LOL.
Dave73‍ you may have some withdrawal symptoms but I doubt it. If you do, it will not last long as you were not on it for too long. Keep your eye on Tuesday - 2 more sleeps and you will be outta there and just think, access to real food 24/7!

Posted by Dave73 on Jun 3, 2019 9:18 am

That is so weird I never had that effect on dex. Felt like a normal pill to me thank gosh, that’s all I need to be is goi g on a shopping spree here at the hospital lol . One more day to go woot woot thanks guys feeling good

Re: Home and Ready to Go

Posted by Dave73 on Jun 5, 2019 6:33 pm

hi all just sharing that I’m finally home, and it’s so nice to be back. Tomorrow’s an exciting day for me I’ll start my immunotherapy!😁. May the recovery start, I’m pretty excited and a little nervous at the same time. I’m sure all will go well. Talk to you soon 

Posted by Aries on Jun 5, 2019 7:09 pm

Dave73‍ - that's GREAT news Dave! Both about being home and starting treatment tomorrow. Good Luck with the immunotherapy 🍀

Posted by Elizabeth06 on Jun 5, 2019 7:18 pm

Dave73‍ 
So glad to hear you are home.  Enjoy your evening and know we will be thinking of you and wishing you well as you begin the next part of your journey.

Posted by Brighty on Jun 5, 2019 9:29 pm

Dave73‍  yay! Good news!!!!!  You sound much more upbeat than you have in a while.   We are all cheering you on!  Good luck as you begin treatment tomorrow.    Keep us posted! !! 

Posted by jorola on Jun 5, 2019 10:01 pm

FREEDOM!!!! Remember that George Michael song Dave73‍ ? K that is playing in my head for you right now. Tomorrow is the start of a new journey. Go get'em!

Posted by Ron 27 on Jun 6, 2019 7:53 am

Sounds like your hospital is rated number 2 in Canada for all cancers so you were in the right place.  It is a bonus you are able to start the immuno drugs right away after the antibiotics.  There is a delay if it was chemo.  Remember to eat well.  All the best.  Ron

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jun 6, 2019 8:56 am

Dave73‍ - I’m so happy that you’ve been released from hospital and that you sound so positive!

Good luck with your treatments!

Posted by Faye on Jun 6, 2019 10:58 am

Dave73‍ 
Cheering you on as you start your immunotherapy today. Hope all goes well.
I hope the start of treatment gives you a sense of power over this insidious cancer tumour and a feeling of strength to know you can match its toughness.
We are here to encourage you on this journey.
Faye

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jun 6, 2019 10:59 am

Dave73‍ 

So glad you got sprung 😊. Thinking of you today as you start treatment. Let us know how it goes

Sending strength!

Lacey

Re: first immunatherapy treatments in the book

Posted by Dave73 on Jun 6, 2019 2:38 pm

hi all just finished my first immunotherapy iv session, and I think it went pretty well, was notified of all the possible side effects and possible complication. the nurse was sayinh that this type of treatment is usually easier on the body. One thing that completely blew me away, I enquired about the price of the keytruda, because yesterday the head oncologist mentioned that they would like to give all immunotherapy patients there meds on the same day because of the price of the drug. after my nurse came back to me the price of my treatment today alone was $8800. I cannot believe pharma companies can make that kind of money on drugs. No wonder they needed permission from our government to make me qualify for the drug. So $8800 every 3 weeks for the rest of my life. don't get me wrong I am so grateful, thankful and blessed for this opportunity, but wow I picked the wrong business to be in lol. heres hoping to no or minimal side effects 

Posted by Aries on Jun 6, 2019 9:53 pm

Dave73‍ - glad things went well today!
Not surprised about the price tag - cancer is a big business!