@Ldb Hello…..Well it is now mid January….and it is time to make some calls!
Perhaps you can reach the office of your Oncologist…..ask for a prompt appt….ask to be put on a waiting list for an appt….ask if there is a back-up Oncologist….a colleague….someone to talk with; to explain your next steps….perhaps reach the Patient Navigator/Patient Ombudsman, at your hospital, you attend…..not to make a “complaint”…but to seek info….get the wheels spinning….get an appt….get medical attention, you need…..Perhaps even reach the Oncology Social Worker at your hospital….get an appt/over phone….ask for their input….on how to speed up your case…..waiting is difficult…we all wait…..especially during the challenging covid-times…..(Here in ONT…..my moms' cataract surgery JUST got cancelled - thx covid !!??)
No matter how “busy/overwhelmed” your assigned Oncologist is….they should reach out to you……to just book an appt…..(are they awaiting any further results, from other tests? Do they await to consult another specialist in this area?…..there MAY be a “reason” to wait……but it is January……
Time for answers!! Time to Advocate!!
@Ldb have you been referred to an oncologist already? I thought this only happened once a definitive cancer diagnosis has been made. I might try going through my family doctor to see if he can get the ball rolling with a surgeon or perhaps provide you with an explanation of the process. I think with Covid we need to be more of an advocate for our health care. The medical community is getting slammed from all sides and continually have to pivot with all the changes. It is easy to fall through the cracks.
Thanks for the replies to Ldb on Parotid tumour…. all tests were done by Nov 2- including MRI, 2 CTs and ultrasound, biopsy and I was referred to a head and neck oncologist, who I saw Oct 25. He informed me I would need surgery, the side effects , ordered EKG, lab work, and said surgery likely in 4-6 weeks. I received a call mid nov, saying they were looking for a spot to do the surgery but were short staffed and would call me as soon as surgery spot available. I have called the office 3times and left messages, so I am thinking they are Covid strained and feel this is not an emergency. I have not tried any other calls, except my GP who stated the medical field was overwhelmed at this time. My concern is that it not spread. I can control the pain at this time.
Just to say Ldb parotid tumour surgery is booked for Jan 31. Thankful