Sinusitis post radiation for base of tongue cancer

Sinusitis post radiation for base of tongue cancer

Posted by Lucy1245 on Oct 25, 2020 9:50 am

I am now 19 months post treatment and continue to have drippy nose as if I had allergies. I know not allergies but was hoping it would go away now. During treatment, I felt like one side only was inflamed as Oncologist could not pass scope through that side of nose. That issue is now gone but now have a continuous drip like sensation that I constantly carry Kleenex with me. I see that this is not uncommon with nasopharyngeal cancers post radiation. Did anyone experience this delayed  sinusitis post treatment. Any recommendations to treat this symptom.
carol
JamesT‍ 

Re: Sinusitis post radiation for base of tongue cancer

Posted by Stevenjp on Oct 26, 2020 7:28 pm

Hi Lucy1245‍ , I had a partial neck dissection and radiation about a year ago. It was unknown primary so I don't know where the source was. I also have a leaky nose, I have mentioned it to my medical team and no one can give me an answer but they also don't seem concerned. I wish you happiness. 

Posted by Lucy1245 on Oct 26, 2020 8:39 pm

Thank you for your feedback Stevenjp‍ 
I guess I could have worse side effects, but wondered if this is common.  I will mention it to oncologist on next visit too.  I just hate sniffling all the time.  LOL 
Carol 

Posted by Gretha on Oct 27, 2020 10:42 am

Hi Lucy1245‍ ,

My husband had a tumor is in soft palate. He finished treatments 21 months ago. He had radiation and chemotherapy .He also has a leaky nose. He sneezes and has to blow his nose so many times during the day. It looks like he has allergies. He was wondering because he wasn't like that before he had cancer. So I guess it must be a side effect from the radiation.

Posted by JamesT on Nov 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Hello Lucy1245‍ 

Not sure I can provide any suggestions.  I find that I do blow my nose more often, typically at night.  I never chalked it up to the treatments, but maybe it is.  I figured it was one of those things that start to happen as you get older.  I'm fast approaching 60.

For myself it's not constant at all.

I also find I am more sensitive to cold weather, post radiation, especially my hands.  To this day, I will have a hard time carrying a jug of milk from the back of a food store to the front.

Sincerely,

James

Posted by Lucy1245 on Nov 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Thanks for responding JamesT‍ 
It isn't a big thing, just bothersome at times especially with similar COVID symptoms
Otherwise I am doing well except the ongoing dry mouth issues
Stay well
Carol