+ Reply
uncomfortable to eat
Meggs
4 Posts

My husband 82 yrs. old had TG 2 yrs. ago and has had an ongoing issue. I wonder if anyone else has had this and how they may handle it. His main complaint is a writhing feeling he gets in his esophagus maybe at the surgery junction when eating or drinking. He then has to stop. He says it’s like a cork screw feeling. It’s not painful, but extremely uncomfortable. It comes and goes. During this event he also spits up copious amounts of saliva, it can be ½ to 1 cup during the episodes. Thanks, Megan

2 Replies
Brighty
8498 Posts

Meggs‍ hi there. So sorry your husband is dealing with this. Excuse my ignorance but what does TG stand for? Did your husband have an esophagectomy?
My fiance had esophageal cancer and had unbearable pain swallowing food. He would bring up crazy amounts of saliva too. His only choice was to have a feeding tube. You could consult with the oncology dietitian first to see if they can come up a plan for him to eat softer foods that are easier to digest...as well as high in calories. Also keep the health care team aware of this...there could be many reasons for this.. my fiance had terrible burning from radiation in that area that closed up his digestive pathway. Did your husband have radiation? He had to have stent inserted at one point. That could help stretch the throat.... Or this could be just a matter of slow healing from the surgery. This type of surgery is very slow healing. But best to contact the health care team first thing tomorrow so they can investigate further. He may also be given a prescription for a mouth wash to lessen the pain. There are things that can be done for sure. Has he had a swallow test? Let us know when you get more info.

Meggs
4 Posts

Hi Brighty, Thank you for your response. TG stands for total gastrectomy. He has had tests done and they see nothing wrong. Junction was clear. He can still eat and drink most things and does not require a feeding tube. He just has problems every couple of days and we cannot pinpoint what is causing this. Our thoughts are that it may have something to with the peristalsis (the muscle contractions that move food etc. through the esophagus, (stomach if you have one) and the intestines). The Gastroenterologist does not know what it is. We will try to visit again soon with another GI doc.

I am sorry for your loved one and you having to deal with this too. My husband had 2 months of chemo prior to 11 hour surgery and no radiation. He is very happy to be alive, but would love more comfort.

+ Reply