+ Reply
Is this active? Wanting to talk about Signet Ring Cell Carcinoma
Lisaries
5 Posts

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where I need to go for support. This can be on the bladder, and rectum and somewhere else.
My mom was just diagnosed.

8 Replies
Brighty
8498 Posts

@Lisaries so sorry about your moms diagnosis. i have never heard of this type of cancer to be honest, but you can try calling the cancer info line at 1888 939 3333. They will be able to give you further information about it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Lisaries
5 Posts

Thanks. It's pretty rare I guess. I have googled it. but I'm also looking for support for myself.

Hello and welcome @Lisaries . I am sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. If you don't mind my asking, where was hers found?

We have lots of wonderful family and caregivers on the site to offer you support. We have a forum called Caring for someone with cancer where others have talked about supporting someone going through cancer while still supporting yourself.

While her cancer may be a more rare form, the feelings she and you are feeling are pretty universal.

Lianne

#SignetCell

Lisaries
5 Posts

Hers was found on her rectum
By accident!
She has crohns and was in surgery getting it removed when they found it.

Whitelilies
2439 Posts

@Lisaries Hi Lisa…..If possible….could you share (if you are comfortable)…where the SRCC is?

If in rectum…..please know….I have already reached out to Filomena…and she IS very knowledgeable, about SRCC/rectal area……she is eager to support you….I will send you her toll free number…..please reach out; she is kind…supportive and knows her stuff!

For yourself…..please reach the Oncology Social Worker, at your moms' hospital…they DO see loved ones, of patients…they are a wealth of knowledge, resources and more…perhaps even a local support group…..In my hospital….there were 2 on staff…..one being a Psychiatrist; She really helped me….and I felt, she “got it/understood"…

We are all here, to support you…..and your mom.

Regards

Whitelilies

Whitelilies
2439 Posts

@Lisaries HI

I JUST read the post, above this one….and saw “rectum” as location.

I will send you Filomena's contact info……She is eager to offer support and more!

She may know others , in similar situation…..

Private message….on the way!

Whitelilies

Lisaries
5 Posts

Thank you so much. We.are still waiting for more information and if it's somewhere else

CherDrive
3 Posts

@Lisaries
Hi. My bf was diagnosed with diffuse signet ring stomach cancer himself last Nov, (originally linitus plastica at that time), and the pathology report said “Adenocarcinoma, diffuse type with signet ring cell features”, so I know it's a very hard type of cancer to do find when there's so many things to find on the internet itself.
Have you been able to find out the information you were looking for yet? I read journals written by scientists/researchers myself, (am able to understand them with the scholastic and personal teachings throughout my life), so I've learned a great deal in the past eight months.
Even though I've been focusing on stomach/upper digestive cancers themselves, please do let me know if you'd like more help in regards to signet ring cell cancers, as I'm willing to try to help you get as much information as I can. Being in “the blind” in regards to any type of cancer is very hard for not only those who have it, but those close to/people taking care of those who have it as well. Those of us who care for the ones with it might actually get to know “too much” about cancers at times, as unfortunately we might see things that have very little information about it, or even things that aren't legitimate at all.
Hope you're able to be okay as much as possible, as having a loved one with any cancer is hard, yet taking things literally one day at a time is what I've had to do at least 99% of the time.

@Lisaries

Edit: I'm more than willing to help with the support aspects of the signet ring cell cancer as well, due to the fact of my bf having it for this long, (he just turned 41, yet was told he had it for about two years by the time of his surgery), and I know how frustrating it is to not have any other people who are going through the same/very similar situation as what we are. There's a few places I've been able to find on the internet, (other than here, of course), and even FB, (groups/pages there with various people from other countries as well), that have others who are either diagnosed with, or caring for people with the same type of cancer, (signet ring cell), and I can let you know of those should you want to even look at those. This type of cancer is a really hard one to deal with, and I've even found out that it could be a hereditary one as well, (not always, but diffuse of gastric and breast are very high probability, sigh), and unfortunately where I live, the province only funds for testing of one of the five mutated genes that can possibly cause it. My bf might be able to reach out a university to get the other four to get tested, and the other members of his family live where their provinces might fund for more than one of the genes.

I know all the feelings that can come along with being a loved one of someone who has been diagnosed with cancer, so please do message me should you want to chat about anything.

+ Reply