Mom stage 4 esophagus cancer

Mom stage 4 esophagus cancer

Posted by EB91 on Dec 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Hello everyone!
My mother was diagnosed initially stage 3 adenocarcinoma esophagus cancer. We then found out there was a 8mm lesion on her liver, which bumped her to stage 4. She went through treatment (5 days of chemo, 25 days of radiation). She was unable to eat so we had them put a feeding tube in to get her nutrition up. A PET scan was done and showed that the lesion on her liver did not show up, so we don't know if it is too small to be seen or if it is gone. The tumor in her esophagus has shrunken to two small lesions. We were under the impression we were going to go for the surgery for cure(what the doctors said). However recently found out that because it has spread to her liver the surgery is unconventional. They will do it if we want to however there is a lot to consider. Her doctor told us that she could be in pain for the rest of her life and that she would have to sleep elevated for the rest of her life. 

We are unsure on what route to take, if anyone has personally dealt with this or you know someone that has could you please tell us your journey. (Stage, if it has spread, surgery or no surgery and how it is going. Etc)

It would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏼

Re: Mom stage 4 esophagus cancer

Posted by ashcon on Dec 18, 2020 1:34 pm

EB91‍ 

I'm sorry to hear of your mom's diagnosis, but glad to hear some good progress has been made so far with the chemo and radiation.
Cancer treatment decisions at this time, or any time, are difficult to make. Unlike a broken bone, there is no simple "fix"! 

My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer in Nov 2016, and passed away 1 year later.  She received radiation, more as palliative treatment approach, but mind you, she was 89yrs old. Fairly healthy for age, but the docs determined that she would not benefit from chemo and surgery. 

It sounds like your mother's treatment plan is a bit more aggressive. 
The risks of surgery described may or may not pan out for your mom. You just don't know. It may be a question of assessing your moms risk tolerance levels. 
​​​​​​​Have you thought about getting a second opinion? 
This could be accomplished by simply asking your mother's current oncologist for a referral to a peer (they don't mind doing that), or asking her doctor if they would take your mother's case to the next internal multidisciplinary team meeting (aka "Tumour Board") for input from a wide range of their peers who specialize in different oncology disciplines (surgery, radiation, chemotherapy). 

Here are some links to more information. Hope they are helpful!

Second Opinions
Esophageal Cancer

My heart and strength are with you and yours! 

---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by EB91 on Dec 18, 2020 2:06 pm

ashcon‍ thank you for your thoughts. We have talked about a second opinion but her nerves are high with all the Covid, she's nervous about going out anywhere really... 
Her doctors have had meetings but I wonder if it was discussed with the tumor board. Something we will have to find out.

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Dec 21, 2020 5:39 pm

EB91‍ 

Just checking in to say I am sorry for what your mom and family is grappling with. Do you have an opportunity to ask further questions of her doctors?
And also wondering if a second opinon can be done by sending the test results and information to date to another oncologist/surgeon without your mom having to leave the house for it?

Thinking of you all. Keep us posted 

Lianne

Posted by DawnD on Jan 3, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi

My husband has Stage 4 Esophageal cancer. 
He has liassons on pancreas, liver and soft muscles.
Hes diagnosis was grime but we are staying positive. The chemo hes on now is shrinking the liassons and Radiation works well.
We will beat this!
Please send me any questions that you have on Esophageal cancer. I'm here to help.
Prayers to your Mom.
Dawn

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Jan 11, 2021 3:49 pm

DawnD‍ 

Thank you for checking in and offering to connect with EB91‍ 
They may not have seen it so I am tagging them here.

How are you both managing?

Thinking of you

Lianne

Posted by EB91 on Jan 11, 2021 6:40 pm

Lianne_Moderator‍  thank you for reaching out. My mom finally agreed on getting a second opinion. We have a phone appt on Thursday to see what they say, I am assuming her original doctor sent them all her tests and paper work. We will see what happens Thursday.

DawnD‍ im glad to hear the chemo and radiation is working for your husband. My mom responded well to treatment as well, just trying to figure out what our next step is.

Posted by EB91 on Jan 11, 2021 6:42 pm

Also mom is doing well at the moment. She has been off the feeding tube since December 21st. Eating small meals on her own and maintaining her weight. She does have a few episodes unfortunately (when she chooses/ throws up phlegm) and we are unsure as to why this is still happening... She is still weak, but able to walk around and do things on her own. Taking it one day at a time.

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Jan 11, 2021 7:09 pm

EB91‍ 
Nice to hear back from you and good to hear your mom is doing well right now. Wishing you well with the appointment on Thursday.

Keep us posted

Lianne