1 Year Update Post Esophagetomy

1 Year Update Post Esophagetomy

Posted by CDN Traveller on Oct 4, 2020 3:31 pm

I hope everyone is keeping safe and covid-free during these challenging times. I am grateful to post that I had my 1 year post surgery scan a few weeks ago and it was NED.  Since my 7 month update, my recovery has continued to progress. During May and June I participated in the Alberta Cancer Exercise Program virtual circuit training which was very helpful in building up strength, endurance and stamina (this program was moved to Zoom at the end of April on a trial basis because of covid and is now continuing, with plans be offered nationally). Over the summer my wife and I were able to do some hiking in the mountains (1st hike was on the 11 month anniversary of my surgery), regular 15 K bike rides, and the second week in August I was able to play hockey for 1.5 hours with my seniors hockey club. This was a huge milestone and long term goal!  During the first 7 or 8 months post surgery I wasn't very confident that I would ever be able to play or do many previous activities again. The regular season starts this week with covid protocols in place.  Recovery is still very challenging in terms of eating, getting enough nutrition, digestive challenges, variable energy levels and stamina. I am still adjusting to a new normal, but overall, given the diagnosis, treatment and surgery, I am very grateful for the progress I have made. I am also very aware of how devastating this disease is and taking nothing for granted.

I wish everyone a peaceful, restful and happy Thanksgiving.

Regards,
Cdn Traveller

Re: 1 Year Update Post Esophagetomy

Posted by Brighty on Oct 4, 2020 4:16 pm

CDN Traveller‍ thank you so much for updating  us! I'm so happy for you that you are NED!!!  Also amazing that you were able to do some of tbe things you love.      All the best to you  for continued  success  with your recovery!! 
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Oct 5, 2020 6:13 pm

CDN Traveller‍ 

Wonderful to hear from you. So great to hear about all those milestones you have been hitting over the summer! Thank you for letting us in on how you have been doing.

Sounds like that exercise program was a huge help in getting you back to all the activities you like to do.

Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving as well.

Lianne

Posted by CDN Traveller on Oct 6, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks Liane!

Yes, the ACE program was excellent - graduated circuit training tailored to individual participant needs. I would highly recommend the ACE program for folks in Alberta, and as it expands to people in the rest of the country (CBC link below).

https://www.albertacancerexercise.com/
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/free-alberta-exercise-program-for-cancer-survivors-expands-1.5736460

Posted by CaregiverCAL on Oct 9, 2020 5:35 pm

Good day!

so very glad to hear your progress. I know Douglass saw the exercise program news and thought it would be great help for anyone trying to figure out how to get active again.

we are approaching 2 years post diagnosis and our new normal is good. Not sure the dietary concerns will ever abate but we worry less about how much gets eaten.  Nothing worse than feeling you should eat when you don’t want to and then have an unfortunate episode.  Douglass’ weight has stabilized about 15 pounds lighter and feels better for the lower weight so all is good there.  Activity is not as good as yours but that probably has more to do with the infection he had in the winter - that was actually much worse than the radiation, chemo or surgery!

we have bought a b class R.V. and plan to vagabond around B.C. and Alberta next year.  Hope to get a chance to meet you in person!

Catherine
CaregiverCAL

Posted by CDN Traveller on Oct 13, 2020 1:42 pm

CaregiverCAL‍ 

Thanks! I feel very fortunate and grateful that I have made a good recovery - also the same for Douglass. I'm about 6 months behind Douglass' recovery - we're both working hard to keep this trend going in a positive direction. Douglass' infection last winter sounds terrible. I can't imagine feeling much worse than when going through chemo/radiation then surgery!

We look forward to keeping in touch and hopefully will be able to meet up in person when you're travelling in Alberta or we're out on the Island!

Best Wishes,
Cdn Traveller