Husband newly diagnosed with esophageal cancer

Re: Husband newly diagnosed with esophageal cancer

Posted by Brighty on Jun 25, 2020 10:56 pm

Adeline74‍  while some people  drive themselves to treatment, my fiance  was in no condition  to do that.   He was so week he could barely make it from the parking  lot    I often had to drop him at the door then park.     Yes, the chemo/rad day is very long.   My guy had his treatment  at two different  hospitals.  So on chemo/rad day I would drop him at the first hospital  at 8 am.  It was an all day  affair.   Getting the blood tested.. anti nausea meds.. then chemo.   I would pick him up around 5 and then drive him across the city to the other hospital  for radiation.      My fiance  slept the entire time so he didn't bring anything.   He was unable to eat orally either but I did see the nursing staff handing out snacks and sandwiches to people.      He got shakes because that's all he could manage but the hospital  provided everything.    They even had magazines and tvs at each couch or bed.      Did he have chemo teaching yet?     I'm glad you met with the dietician.    They are a great source of info.     I'm glad you were able to get some of the info by phone.     The more people to listen the better it is.   It's hard to absorb things sometimes when you have anxiety about the unknown.    Please let us know if you have any more questions.      
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by CaregiverCAL on Jun 26, 2020 4:30 pm

CDN Traveller‍ and Brighty‍ have both given you great advice. You are about to start a time where the treatment is first priority. My husband had to travel 120k for treatment so we opted to have him stay at the cancer lodge in Victoria during the week and be home for weekends. I was able to keep a normal calendar during the week and he focused on learning all he could on what would be needed to maintain weight and spirits throughout.  

My goal was to make life easy for both of us.  We have two large dogs and on the day Douglass was to come home I sent them to a friends for a couple of hours so he could get in and settled before the happy exuberant welcome.  

We changed how we plan meals from spur of the moment decisions to weekend meal plans.  This got us by the ‘I don’t want to eat’ feelings as he had already agreed it was best to get the food in him.  

Douglass got his hair cut very short so if he did have hair loss it would not be so obvious. We did not tell our friends until close to surgery so we casually moved our social time with friends to meeting for coffee rather than full meals. 

All small seemingly unimportant details but they added a lot to our quality of life. 

Douglass really started to feel the effects of the treatments by the end of week three. Afternoon naps started and this is when all those small preparations we had made really paid off as we settled in to let the treatment do it’s stuff. 

About 2 weeks post treatment things got much better. 

Good luck and do let us know when you begin.  As all others have said - we are here for you; to answer questions, to commiserate and to cheer you two on.

kindest regards,

CaregiverCAL
Catherine

Posted by Erdco on Jun 28, 2020 8:45 am

Hello,

So sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. I too am a current esophageal cancer patient.  I decided to write about my cancer journey to share with my family and friends who had so many questions and wanted to keep up to date with my treatments. It became a little overwhelming to call and talk about it so I started the blog. You might find some of the information useful. It is not a medical blog but deals more with the emotions and feelings that you go through. Try to remain positive throughout during treatment. If you are interested, you can read it here:
https://richarderdmann.blogspot.com/  

Wishing your husband and family all the best!

Richard

Posted by Adeline74 on Jun 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Thank you all for all the information, advice and support. I feel so much stronger and hopeful after reading all your suggestions!
I will keep you updated as to how the next steps are going! 
You are a great group of people😃 
Adeline

Posted by Adeline74 on Jul 1, 2020 1:36 pm

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately we got some Not so good news yesterday. At the PET scan they detected some ‘spots’ in the abdomen and one ‘spot’ on a rib. This is what the surgeon told my husband , also saying that his cancer might not be curable, only treatable at this point. We didn’t get the oncologists point of view on the scan and we are both worried and devastated right now. 
What will be the next steps? Do those ‘spots’ mean metastasis? Surgery might not be an option anymore. Why did the CAT scan not reveal those spots? 
Scared and sad,
‘Adeline

Posted by Brighty on Jul 1, 2020 2:41 pm

Adeline74‍  I'm so sorry.  The spots may not necessarily  be cancer.  A PET scan is more detailed  than a CT scan.  It can catch the spots that the CT doesn't catch....when do you see the oncologist? Hard to say what the next steps will be until you find out more details  of the spots.  Then the oncologist  will outline the plan.  I'm crossing my fingers  for you.  Please post when you learn more. 
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.