newly diagnosed with esophageal cancer

newly diagnosed with esophageal cancer

Posted by Rock96 on Nov 17, 2019 11:00 am

Hi, I was just diagnosed with Esophageal cancer. I was referred to a thoracic surgeon in newmarket and they already had me scheduled for tests right away,should I be concerned with how fast they got me these tests and scans? Currently I already have had to ct scans on my chest and abdomen, a PET scan, a echocardiogram,. a MRI on the head,and I'm scheduled to have a endoscopic ultrasound on Tuesday, and than finally meet the thoracic surgeon on Wednesday as he will be doing his own gastroscopy. Just wondering if anyone else has had these tests scheduled this quick.
  I'm a 48 year old male in healthy condition.

John

Re: newly diagnosed with esophageal cancer

Posted by Wendy Tea on Nov 17, 2019 10:07 pm

Hi John, aren't we lucky we live in such a great country that sees a young man and pushes him through the medical system to find out what is going on? Dont think about what might be but only deal with What you know to be true today. This will really help you as you travel through the tests and appointments. Remember to have lots of questions, bring a friend, and write down the answers.  It can be overwhelming when you are hit with a bunch of information.

Please stay in touch. There are good folks here who will help you navigate this situation. 
Best wishes 
Wendy Tea 

Posted by Rock96 on Nov 18, 2019 4:57 am

Thank you Wendy. 

John

Posted by CaregiverCAL on Nov 18, 2019 10:02 am

Hi John, Rock96‍ 

my husband went through the same accelerated test timeline early this year.  We were overwhelmed and quite frankly a little irritated that there was no time to reflect on what was going on.  I think, in hindsight, we were probably more concerned about our oncoming vacation... In hindsight, we now know esophageal cancer has strong cure opportunity and quantifying the extent is the first step.  I would recommend you ‘go with the flow’ for all the tests - read up on materials available from Canadian Cancer and the posts of others on this site.  Please stay away from general google searches - they have some suspect information.  We started with a mindset of no invasive treatment and then went all in for a cure based on discussions with our medical team.

We have posted updates on this site for others to reference and to help us see our own progress to a cure.  

Douglass treatment profile was 23 days of radiation, 5 chemotherapy session, a 5 week rest to build strength and then esophogectamy surgery.  The surgery was six months ago and he is doing quite well. The cancer is gone. I am tagging CDN Traveller‍ and RonD‍ who are both on this journey.  

Reach out if you have questions or need any other support.  

CaregiverCAL Catherine 

Posted by CDN Traveller on Nov 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Rock96‍ 

I agree with the comments above, it is good that you have been able to get testing and into see your surgeon so quickly. Like Douglass & CaregiverCAL‍ , I also went through a similar process / same treatment protocol. Treatment included 5 weeks radiation & weekly (5) chemo cycles, then a resting period for 6-8 weeks prior to surgery. I had an esophagectomy at the end of August, now 3 months post surgery. Recovery is coming along nicely - slow but steady. One helpful resource is the Sloan-Kettering Institute (US) site on esophegectomy

There is a lot of info to absorb, once you see your surgeon you will have a better idea of what the treatment and surgery options are. I found the waiting time between appointments and treatment starting stressful. As others have suggested, ask lots of questions, write them down and take someone with you to your appointments to help record discussions. This forum is a great place for discussion and support.
CaregiverCALRonD‍ 

Posted by Sher808 on Nov 19, 2019 9:59 am

I think it is fantastic you are getting all the necessary tests done right away.   This is the only way the thoracic/oncologist can find out exactly what is going on and start a treatment program.  My Son in law was diagnosed with Esophageal cancer in August.  He had his tests done within 2 weeks of diagnosis and started chemo right away.  He is stage 4 so this prompt action is just what he needed to have.  Good luck in your testing and praying for the best outcome for you.

Posted by Rock96 on Nov 19, 2019 11:29 am

Just had endoscopic ultra sound,  8 cm tumor, t3n3, anybody have those size and grading,  doctor says chimo first. 

John

Posted by Rock96 on Nov 19, 2019 11:40 am

Just had ultra sound, 8 cm, t3n3 grade. Can you relate tuo this. 

John

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Nov 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Rock96‍  - John

I am assuming you are asking Sher808‍  and CDN Traveller‍ with your questions? I am tagging them here so they will see your question/response.
In order to tag someone in a reply, type the @ sign and immediately start typing their screen name. When you see it come up in the list, click on it and it will highlight their name and let them know they were mentioned

Lianne

Posted by Sher808 on Nov 19, 2019 6:35 pm

John, if you are talking to me, I can't relate as far as size of tumor, etc.  I just know what my daughter tells me and I am not sure of my son in law's size of tumor.  But after he had his endoscopy, he saw an oncologist through the Cancer Center in Saskatoon and started chemo right away.  His was classified as inoperable as he did have some spread.   All I know is it has been over 3 months and so far he is managing very well.  He has a super attitude to fight this thing.