Stomach cancer - treatments - after treatment side effects

Stomach cancer - treatments - after treatment side effects

Posted by Miriam on Feb 7, 2019 7:50 pm

I was diagnosed with stomach cancer in January 2018.   The Canada Cancer Agency took me right away under their wings.  First 4 rounds of chemo, every second week, then, after a month's rest an operation with the net result that my whole stomach was removed plus the very bottom part of my esophagus.  
At the end of May 2018, a second attempt was tried with chemo, just as a security, but I was not yet strong enough for it.
At the end of August 2018 radiation with oral chemo was started with a 5 week, 5 days/week plan.  The first part of that was quite OK.  The second half wore me out quite a bit.   Lack of appetite, weight loss, trouble swallowing, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, weakness....
As my weight was getting rather low, I was then hospitalized for 3 weeks with an intravenous TPN (total parental nutrition).   
I am now, after 4 months of the end of radiation/chemo, in recovery.  It seems to be very slow going.  Tiredness, dizziness, some eating problems, odd sensations inside of me on and off, a occasional  diarrhea.
I would like to hear from others with this kind of cancer.   After treatment side effects, long term side effects, after care by the medical profession etc.

Re: Stomach cancer - treatments - after treatment side effects

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Feb 8, 2019 10:59 am

Hi, Miriam‍, I see you’re fairly new here, and hope to be able to help you find information that will help you. There’s a lot of good information here on the site!

If you click on the “Forums” tab, a drop-down menu will appear, and you can select “Cancer types”. This will bring up a list of the recent discussions about the various types. On the right side of that screen is a list of the various types. Look for “Digestive”, and that will take you to that section.

If you find a discussion and you want to reply to it to ask a question of someone, look for the yellow “Reply” button, and select it. To tag the person you wish to contact, type the @ symbol and start typing their username (with no space between the symbol and the name.) After a few characters, a list of suggestions will pop up, and you can choose that individual.

You can also access the Community Services Locator website at csl.cancer.ca to find resources in your area.

I’m here on the site in the capacity of caregiver, but if there’s anything I can do to help, let me know.

Re: Stomach cancer - treatments - after treatment side effects

Posted by ACH2015 on Feb 8, 2019 11:14 am

Hi Miriam‍ 

I want to tag racer58‍ into this post. You may have some information to share regarding her husband's issues with not being able to keep food down after stomach removal.

The link to the thread is below.

https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/65/60701

Timing, and sharing is everything

Keep well

ACH2015 - Andy.

Share with your friends: