+ Reply
CAPOX Round One
Alisia
17 Posts

I'm just over a week out of my first infusion - wow; so much learning in this time - thankful for this group as I often went back to posts about CAPOX and how others managed. I had A LOT of pain in my arm during the infusion (I probably “sucked it up” too long before I said anything either which made it worse, but a heating pad during the end of the infusion and the rest of the day was my best friend and really helped with that!)

The cold sensitivity was nothing I ever could have expected. I felt the hand and feet tingling was manageable with slippers, gloves, etc - but the throat sensitivity - I swear I didn't feel my thirst was quenched until yesterday! Any tips anyone has for this would be greatly appreciated! I found that even room temperature liquids were too cold for the first few days, and warm water or tea's just don't seem to make me feel hydrated.

Also I felt like for the first 3-4 days that I was like in a “brain fog” not sure if it was the chemo, the steroids, the nausea meds - but I can only describe it like I was just on auto pilot and getting through the day.

Ok - that's my update for now! Thanks always for the check ins gang!

-Alisia

4 Replies
Whitelilies
2656 Posts
Alisia‍ Hi Alisia.....thank you for sharing your updates......you are plowing through!
You bet; lots of check ins.....We Care....
Sending Positive Vibes your way....
Whitelilies
Cynthia Mac
4209 Posts
HI, Alisia‍ , definitely let your oncologist know about your throat sensitivity at your next visit. Try to drink lots of fluids before and during your next infusion. That might help you determine when the sensitivity starts to kick in, and it will make sure you’re well hydrated for it.

My aunt used to make “tea” with nothing but water and slices of lemon or orange. I quite liked the orange. That might be more thirst-quenching than warm water or tea (I find tea can leave me feeling thirsty a times.) Now, she muddles the fruit in the bottom of a glass and adds carbonated water from her soda machine.

I was caregiver for my dad so I’ve never had chemo, but “chemo fog” is a thing, apparently, as many people in this community will confirm! You might want to devise a strategy to deal with that, such as a daytimer or Google calendar.
Wadsdan
21 Posts

@Alisia
hi! Im 21 treatments into FOLFOX, i hear everything you are saying! The fog post chemo was the same for me also, they did lower my steriods dose which help the brain fog, but then some of the side effects were a bit more nasty. Its definatley a balancing act, your oncologist can likely help you navigate and make those types of calls best.

I did get put on a desensitization protocol as I had an allergic reaction, worked well as I was able to resume treatment, strangely is also really cut down on the side effects ( it wasnt supposed to ) but im thankful for that!

MilesG
35 Posts

@Alisia The cold sensitivity was really bad for me as well. They lowered the dosage of the Oxiaplatin twice for me, from 100% to 77%, and then down to 60%. I basically stayed indoors from February to the end of April. One good trick is to drink some hot tea before exercise or going out. That really helped manage my cold symptoms.

I also took the Meto anti-nausea meds as directed (learned the hard way the first day), and that made it a lot more tolerable. What really got me was the fatigue. Most of the time I had zero energy to do anything.

I have mild neuropathy in my feet. You really need to watch this. If the soles of your feet get red, call the triage line. I waited too long the first time. They may postpone/stop your treatment for that cycle. I did the infusion/pills route, as I still wanted to be able to swim/exercise. Little did I know lol that the cold sensitivity would get in the way of that! Ah well. Five weeks post chemo and feeling better every day.

And you will get there too. All the best!

+ Reply