+ Reply
Recent Left Hemicolectomy Surgery
Wadsdan
21 Posts

Good morning all!

Hope everyones summer has started well.

I wondered for all of those who have had their primary taken out ( i assume most ) if you could help me.

I just had mine taken out..almost 3 years post stage 4 diagnosis - im an upsidown unciorn haha

Quick recap, diagnosed dec 2019 stage 4 with liver & lung spread

6 months folfox, surgery aug 2020 to remove liver spots and planned removal of primary, but 1st colonscopy was done wrong and they had the side wrong, so they couldn't get the primary.

9 months off chemo ( LOVED IT ) - ablation march 2021 for a missed spot in liver during surgery ( or pre-surgery imaging )

April 2012 - Dec 2012 FOLFOX again

Ive been off chemo since, but started getting some significant GI symptoms back in Feb that continued, another colonscopy showed that the colon primary was nearly causing a full obstruction, local surgeon didnt know what to do, presented various options, but we werent happy.

I saught out an opinion from a top surgeon at UHN and he immediately agreed to take out the primary for obvious reasons , but provided some positivity about the surgery and even potentially some clinical benefit given my status, and stability off chemo, etc.

Surgery was a wonderful success - fully lapropcosopic, no temp bag even required - he did a full inspection of my abdomen and no sign of any peritornerial disease and no suspected lymph nodes that he could see. I was home on post of day 3

Has been going well, but heres the rub - the past day or so my lower back/almost into hip area has been KILLING me during/after bowel movements - generally back is a bit stiff/sore but during/after a BM it moves to like acute cramping/pain - my wife says I almost look like im in labor with back contractions

Is that “normal” or has anyone else had that type of back issue after similar surgery?

Thanks so much

Dan

7 Replies

@Wadsdan- Thanks for sharing with us all you have been through.

Whenever pain or a new symptom is involved it is best to contact your Healthcare Team. It sounds like you are very uncomfortable. Have you talked to your Doc?

Lacey

Wadsdan
21 Posts

@Lacey_Moderator - Hi Lacey, I did leave a message last night and got a call back this morning - went through a bunch of questions, they aren't particularly concerned but mentioned that intense back/hip back isnt necssary something they hear a lot about either..

Hoping others maybe have had similar symptoms that will put my mind at ease a bit

Thanks!

Whitelilies
2656 Posts
Wadsdan‍ Hi Dan......So glad to hear you are healing, and surgery was completed, and successful.....I am sorry to hear of your pain and discomfort.....

"I Second That !"....to reach out to your Medical Team.......and you did!!.....and they said they don't hear of this often??

Well, what will they HELP you with, now?

I had a different surgery....called L.A.R. (Lower Anterior Resection).....it took quite some to heal.....but I am honest; no such pains, as you describe, sadly.
To me, pain is something to be addressed....(I know you did).....perhaps reach another member of the Medical Team....even your G.P.......leave a message with your Surgical Oncologist....Perhaps reach out to the Nurse-Navigator at your hospital....my hospital had 2; Breast & Colon....they are Nurses, whose sole role, is to support patients......so any concerns, questions, they will answer and HELP! I will hope that your hospital, has1 such Nurse Navigator.

Please let us know, how you are doing.......
Warmly
Whitelilies
S2020
1396 Posts
@Wadsdan

As Lacey and Whitelilies indicated, follow up with your medical team re: pain is important so it is good someone at the clinic responded to your message. I hope there has been improvement since then.

I know someone who was put on a no-fiber diet/low gas producing foods before and after this surgery, and had significant pain reduction with this diet. Almost white everything, such as pasta, rice, potato chips, etc., which doesn’t have a lot of nutritional benefits so check with someone on your medical team before initiating it yourself.

Hopefully, the pain has resolved by now. Best wishes to you as you heal and recover.

Wadsdan
21 Posts

@Whitelilies
Hi Whitelilies - thank you and @S2020 - i am doing so much better, no more wierd back or hip issues, medical team thinks it was related to the position they had me in for surgery for almost 6 hours, pinched some nerves or something i guess.

Back is still a bit sore, but getting better everyday as Im moving around so much more - walking everyday, doing light yardwork, etc.

Hope you are well and having a nice summer so far!

S2020
1396 Posts
@Wadsdan

Great to read that there has been significant improvement. Thank you for your update.

I am glad you are moving around more, walking, and doing light yard work.

Wishing you continued healing and recovery, and a summer with more walks and yard work.

Whitelilies
2656 Posts
Wadsdan‍ Hello......so glad to hear you are improving! And every day, more so.....Enjoy walking....being outdoors....the sunshine.....
Happy Summer Indeed!
Whitelilies
+ Reply