+ Reply
Science-based diet suggestions (e.g. aspirin, coffee) for when ALREADY have cancer?
Angiea
16 Posts

Does any one know anything about taking aspirin? This link suggests aspirin use after a colorectal cancer diagnosis is associated with a lower risk of cancer-specific and overall mortality, especially in patients with tumors that over-express the COX-2 enzyme.

Secondly, this link says the investigators found that in 1,171 patients treated for metastatic colorectal cancer, those who reported drinking two to three cups of coffee a day were likely to live longer overall, and had a longer time before their disease worsened, than those who didn’t drink coffee.

2 Replies
Whitelilies
2656 Posts

@Angiea Hi Angiea and thank you for sharing these 2 articles…….I have not heard/read, about Aspirin….BUT my naturopath Dr DID tell me that drinking coffee, daily, is “helpful”….we did not discuss whether one has it/had it, etc…..I have Organic Green Tea daily, also suggested from Naturopath Dr.

Eat healthy….walk daily……have a positive outlook…….and greet each new day!

Whitelilies

Cynthia Mac
4209 Posts
Hi, Angiea‍ ,

Studies can be helpful, or confusing, as you’re finding out. I’ve learned a few things about them since I started with this forum, and here are some tips I’ve learned to try and cut the wheat from the chaff:

1. Look at the source of the study. Is it by a reputable medical agency such as Mayo Clinic, or is it for a vitamin company who wants to sell you something?
2. Look at the size of the study group - the bigger, the better. Someone once posted a study with a group size of 69 people. That’s not a very big cross section from which to make determinations. Even 1200 is small, actually, so I would probably take the coffee study with a grain of salt (although I know full well the efficacy of coffee as both a diuretic and a laxative!)
3. Look at the objective of the study then compare it directly with the conclusion. Sometimes, they don’t sound like they came from the same document!
4. Approach every study with both an open mind and critical thinking. Look for flaws or inconsistencies and be grateful when you don’t find any!
5. When you get the chance, discuss these studies with your health care team. As someone mentioned recently, doctors are human, and you could end up providing your doctor with a piece of information he or she can use to help other patients. For example, I learned here recently that there’s been a blood test developed to detect breast cancer that my own GP was not aware of.

I hope these tips will help you and others who chose to delve into the numerous studies out there sort through the good info from the bad.

#studies
+ Reply