+ Reply
Decision to make , please help
Narges
61 Posts
Hi everyone, I have rectum cancer stage 3 and I finished chemo and radiation , tumour shrank from 5cm to 1 cm and waiting for surgery. Today I was told I have two options: removing total rectum with an aggressive surgery and side effects with 2% recurrent or remove just partially tumour part with an easy operation and10% chance of recurrent
I have no idea of quality of the life after removing an organ . I can’t decide it
9 Replies
Whitelilies
1862 Posts
Narges‍ Hello......it is a difficult decision.......May I assume, option 1/total removal of rectum, will mean a permanent Ostomy? Is that what "side effects" mean? Aggressive, in that an organ is being removed? How would you feel with an Ostomy?...2% chance of recurrence of amazingly low!Not sure how "aggressive" this surgery is.....it may be a "long" surgery.....??
Option 2/basic/simple surgery/leave some rectum there.....and 10% chance to recur - 10% is quite low as well.....can Dr offer ANY additional meds/treatment to bring down the 10%? This answer, would point "me" to option 2.

Please reach FILOMENA at CCRAN......she will offer her best advise......www.CCRAN.org
Tollfree number on contact page, of site.

What are you leaning to Narges? When must you decide? When is surgery booked for?
Please know that you WILL heal from aggressive surgery.....it may take a bit of time...lots of patience.....

If it is an Ostomy....there are many PRO, to this option.....if you choose second option......ask for MORE "help" to bring down the 10%....(I assume rectum is intact)

Regards
Whitelilies
(I am still thinking, about this one!)
Whitelilies
1862 Posts

@Narges Hi…..I did respond/see above….but just noticed there was no “@” before your name…..so I want to ensure, you see my response/from Whitelilies.

brittanyc
52 Posts

Hi @Narges
Congratulations on completing chemo and radiation, that is great to hear!

I will tag @Boby1511 , @Trish514 and @Haemish to share their experiences with these types of surgeries. Hopefully, they provide valuable information that helps you make this decision. Thank you in advance for sharing, all!

Keep well, Narges! Keep us updated on your choice, if you feel comfortable to do so :)
Brittany

Whitelilies
1862 Posts

@Narges Hello…..I am hopeful that @Saharabee can also, share her experiences/wisdom, here, to help you make this important decision…..We are all here to help, listen and support.

Whitelilies

Narges
61 Posts

I am not going to have any perm ostomy its they told me quality of life will change with 15 times using washroom in a day and uncontrollable bowel movement.

Whitelilies
1862 Posts
Narges‍ Hello......with this further info....are you having the L.A.R. Surgery? (Lower anterior resection)
In fact.....I am "glad" Dr said "the facts " to you.......(I was NOT told a thing, about any quality of life/frequent washroom needs)
Can you talk further with this Dr/
There are some meds, to "slow the washroom needs".....ie Lomotil.....Immodium (perhaps other meds)......
It does depend on how LOW the re-connect/tumour removal is?? The lower/closer to sphincter opening, the more difficult to control.....
I recall being told that if reconnect is ABOVE 5cm from opening, things are better, for control.
If the reconnect is BELOW 5cm towards opening, then things are more challenging, for control.
I know it is difficult to "choose" an option......when does Dr need your response by?
Regards
Whitelilies
Narges
61 Posts

Thank you @Whitelilies for respond. Unfortunately it’s 4cm above so it is going to be challenging. Any way I called the doctor secretary to buy some time and I sent the information for other doct ( a friend of mine)

hope to find some more information.

Whitelilies
1862 Posts
Narges‍ Hello.....Thanks for sharing a bit more.....we are both "in the low-zone"....I do hope your Dr/friend, is helpful, can explain more.....guide you to choose best "option".....I can share that.....after some time.....the BMs settle a bit.....not perfect/but better than before.....Time Heals All Wounds!
Keep sharing....
Wishing you the best!
Whitelilies
Haemish
143 Posts

@Narges Hi there and congrats on finishing chemo and radiation. I had stage 3 as well but was not given an option. I had to have a permanent ostomy. I had to have my anus, rectum and sigmoid colon removed because my tumour was right next to the anal sphincter. I was devastated by the news at first but seem to be coping with it well. I never have to rush to the bathroom and the amount of output is largely controlled by what I eat. I can even wear underwear multiple days in a row because I have no a** to get them dirty. Lol. Sorry just thought I’d throw that in there. If I can help in anyway please ask.

+ Reply