+ Reply
Grastofil ?
Wadsdan
7 Posts
Hi everyone, had a question/wondering if anyone knows about or has had to use Grastofil before? My neutrophil count was too low to get treatment today so my oncologist prescribed grastofil for 5 days

Wonder if anyone else has had to use it before ?

Thanks.
9 Replies
Kims1961
2094 Posts
Wadsdan‍ Welcome! During my breast cancer treatment, I was given Grastofil injections to help boost my immune/bloodwork.

Initially, I was a little nervous about giving myself the needles but after being shown once, it really was very easy. I would grab a part of my abdomen and inject - once/day for 5 days. I did this routine after every chemotherapy treatment ( which was once every 3 weeks). The key was to move around the injection site - i think they recommended it could be in your thigh or abdomen. Surprisingly it really didn't hurt - key is to do it slowly. I also was fortunate to not have any significant side effects from it other than it seemed to improve my immune system.

Let us know how it goes! kim
Whitelilies
1201 Posts
Wadsdan‍ Hello.....I have no experience with Grastofil....but I can share a bit, about "self injections".....
I do self-injections of Mistletoe, about 4x per week.....belly/abdomen area.....I received lesson from Naturopath Dr.....with clean hands get your needle ready, fill it from vile (?).....alcohol wipe area first...I would pinch my belly, and could NOT feel the needle at all.
I was taught 45 degree angle, to belly area.....and slowly push the needle/handle, in.
I thought I would faint at the site of a needle, as in my old days.....**but** you do, what you must....and it was OK!
Look at it, as a bit of "control" of your treatment.....you do this shot.....one less trip to medical facility....
Wishing you the best....
Whitelilies
Wadsdan
7 Posts
Thank you Kim, may I ask how long you took it for?
Wadsdan
7 Posts
Thank you Whitelilies! I took take mistltoe ( 3x per week ) so the needle part im totally ok with, it was just a new medicine that I wasnt quite sure about, but you're right at least i can do it at home which is nice!

Hope you are well.
Wadsdan‍ I took grastofil during my breast cancer treatment. I had to do one dose for 5 days 3-4 days after each treatment. Total needles 30. Not fun giving yourself needles but thankfully they are very small. I only had a few that were painful, I think the needles were bent.
Kims1961
2094 Posts
Hello! I believe my needles were for 5 days . I started 3 days after chemo for the following 5 days. I did mine in the morning. As long as I moved the injection site around, I had little bruising or pain.

All the best! Kim
Jessieleah
4 Posts

I will be starting my first chemo treatment for Pancreatic Cancer and wonder if anyone has used Mistletoe for this? Also how did your oncologist feel about Mistletoe?

Whitelilies
1201 Posts
Jessieleah‍ Hi.....I wanted to respond to you.....sorry I am not in "exact path" as you......I currently do Mistletoe (self injections) to belly area.....3 x week......however; I am post all treatment.....I believe it will boost your immune system.
Please make sure your medical team/Oncologist knows, that you do/wish Mistletoe. I thought it also "helps" with side effects of chemo.

Wishing you the best.....Whitelilies
Dauntless
79 Posts

I self inject gastrofil for 10 days post chemo, rotating the sites around abdomen and thigh. Have some bruising. Some people have bone pain, but, I take Claritin as was advised by my oncologist and have some ,but, very little bone pain. My neutrophils still borderline, so without those injections doubt I would get my chemo.

Have one round, 6th round of Carboplatin and Alimta left, on July 29th. Then, its maintenance of Alimta only as long as I remain stable. Hoping I won't need the needles when I start maintenance. I have Stage 4 Lung Cancer diagnosed 3 and half years ago.

Dauntless

+ Reply