Finally an Update! And a Choice. Resection of Bowel vs. Colostomy

Re: Finally an Update! And a Choice. Resection of Bowel vs. Colostomy

Posted by Boby1511 on Nov 24, 2020 5:40 pm

Haemish‍ 
lol. Naked! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by CMP on Nov 24, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi Saharabee‍:

I'm in Vancouver and my surgeon recommend I do Pelvic Floor Therapy before and after surgery. I am so very thankful I started it BEFORE surgery. Look for someone who does biofeedback. It measures your muscle strength and helps you to improve it. Before surgery I also prepared by getting a rebounder (a mini trampoline). It's very good for your colon and other organs (especially pelvic floor) as well as draining your lymphatic system (and it never hurts for stress). Unfortunately, I'm not quite ready to go back to Physio as I'm 8 weeks post surgery and not quite stable enough to have someone testing me "down there".

You sound like you have the same path a head of you that I've just been down. I did have my rectum taken out and they created a neo rectum - where they use the sigmoid colon as a new rectum. It needs to learn how to store and hold like the rectum did. While it's tough right now, every week gets a bit better and I'm so thankful I do not have my bag as it caused me a lot of issues - very active, leaked a lot and extremely itchy. Apparently having radiation makes the rectum (neo rectum) more still, but it's just time.  But don't think that far ahead yet. Just take one step at a time. And if you need support during each step, then definitely send a note.  I think you pretty much know this now by all your responses that You are NOT alone. :  )

Stay Positive - and you will kick this Cancer in the ASS!  

Connie

Posted by Whitelilies on Nov 24, 2020 7:28 pm

Haemish‍ Hello Greg.....YES I would like to hear of that "funny" story of your colostomy! Cuz I have a doozy from my Ileostomy!
(In brief.....I thought a drone had landed on my belly.....it was 3am......it just "blew up")
Moral of my "story": DONT eat cabbage with a "bag'!
And, yes, laughing sure beats crying.
Been there/done that.
Re; Diet......well, I wish I was an "expert"......I too had high output from ileostomy; and NO different with good old fashioned location.
Go/Clean/Repeat.  Insert "Bolt" anywhere!
Foods:  I am seeing a Naturopath Dr, and am following her suggestions.  To be honest.....nothing is helping me.
I am a stickler for eating the "SuperFoods/anti recurrence foods"......ie blueberries, walnuts, garlic, kale etc......these do NOT "help" the loose BMs....
For loose BMs....I was advised of the BRAT diet.....well that just does not sound too healthy.....I have tried it all.....am about  20 months post reversal.....get miffed from time to time....there are no easy answers.....yes experiment with different foods.....oatmeal; I will try that too.....

Pelvic Floor Therapy: I have not tried it.......and am less than thrilled for "another stranger" down there.....male/female, all dignity down the Loo.
I hear ya Haemish‍ .....if I had a dime for every male medical person who looked/touched/poked/prodded/seen it ALL, I would be rich!

Time to laugh: I recall, walking in to my surgery (#1).......and I looked around......9 people in the room....I was following instructions.....take this off, move that over, etc....ALL I thought about was:  They will ALL see me naked !!   yuck  !!  At least wait until I am snoring !!  The blue gown is less than flattering....but heck that came off too!

Laugh.
Every Day.
Share with us
CMP‍ Hello......I hope you are healing......I wish you strength.....you are a busy mom!
Saharabee‍ Hello......keep sharing with us, where you are, on the journey......no more pix !! lol
@Boby1511 
Hello.......sending positive vibes your way.

Regards
Whitelilies

Lillian

Posted by Saharabee on Nov 28, 2020 10:31 am

Haemish‍ ,

You certainly nailed it on so many levels! The stress of the uncertainty of everything is so draining. And the humour does balance out the crying. Ergo, we need LOTS of humour! I am not surprise that your surgeon never mentioned the pelvic physio. IME a lot of surgeons tend to be tunnel visioned. I fractured my C7 vertebrae 7 years ago. In the year and a half that I was seeing an ortho surgeon he was totally focused on whether or not I should have surgery. Never once mentioned physio. And naked shmaked! I have ceased to care who pokes and prods at me. Being 72 helps in that regard.

CMP‍ 

Thanks for sharing your experience. The rebounder sounds like a great thing!  I will ask my surgeon (if I ever see her again) about pelvic physio. I am glad that your bowel function is improving and wish you well on this journey!

Whitelilies‍ 

You always make me laugh! And I really need that.

I haven't been on here in a while. Mostly because I have nothing to say. I finally have a follow up appointment to the last colonoscopy. Not until December 10 (22 days after the colonoscopy!). It may not be with the surgeon who did the colonoscopy. Then hopefully I will at least be put on the surgery schedule. To date (more than 2 months post diagnosis) I still do not have a care team, a surgeon I can call my own or access to any of the services at the Cancer Centre since I am not yet officially a patient there. Sorry for being so whiny, but I have been really down since I got the call on Friday. I keep thinking that it was pointless to do all those scans for mets and lymph node involvement so long before surgery. And I felt like a nuisance because I asked the booking clerk for a Zoom appointment instead of a telephone call which apparently causes her more work. I am tired and constipated and full of self pity today. It will pass. (Probably as soon as I have a poop, LOL)

Posted by Whitelilies on Nov 28, 2020 4:19 pm

Saharabee‍ Hello.....you are not whiny.....you are just honest and open ....we get it.....(even the constipated part !)......Did "things" pass on through?
Try lots of water, prune juice.....etc (sorry little knowledge of THIS......TOO much knowledge of "that"/opposite.....if I eat more banana-rice-apple sauce-toast, I will become a "brat"!
I hope you are assigned a surgeon....and can access the cancer centre too. You are in their hands....yes, we know...waiting is difficult.....(plus covid/yuck)

SO: Did I tell ya' about the one, with the "Surgeon"??
Well....I was sure "assigned" one.....and of ALL the surgeons.......handsome, tall, well dressed, well spoken (skilled too)....and he had hair! Bonus Doc !  I know I blushed before even disrobing !.....Did all the short, bald, scruffy "older" Docs retire? To Palm Springs?....yup I got the HOT one.....

Laugh all day.

Keep posting...we are listening....

Regards
Whitelilies

Lillian 

Posted by Saharabee on Nov 28, 2020 5:23 pm

Whitelilies‍ ,

Yup. Even at 72, that would do it. A really hot looking doc is definitely not what one wants when one has CRC! You made me laugh. The sun came out. I took my beloved golden doodle Maggie for a walk and the world is a better place. All that and I don't have to cook because I have left over lasagne!

Posted by Whitelilies on Nov 28, 2020 6:05 pm

Saharabee‍ Enjoy the small things in life.....a walk in the sun.....a loving pet to love.....and yummy lasagna.....
Life is Good.
Lillian.
(Even IF I shaved my legs....I am sure the surgeon would not have batted an eye....lol !)