Rectoral Cancer

Rectoral Cancer

Posted by Edward 1 on Jul 31, 2020 2:20 pm

An overview of my cancer journey

It started on January 2nd 2019 when I had my first colonoscopy at the age of 62, at which time I was told I had rectal cancer, stage 1.  Just over 2 months later and after several different procedures I had my surgery at Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie.  Where they removed about 5 inches of my colon and removed all of my cancer, with no chemo and no radiation.  About 10 days later I needed another surgery because nothing was coming out of my stoma and into the ostomy bag.  Around April 9th I was released and taken home to Orangeville, where I was well cared for by a team of personal care workers from Bayshore.  On July 2nd I returned to Royal Victoria Hospital for reverse surgery and was released about 8 days later.  About 36 hours later I was taken to Headwaters Health Care Centre, because my colon was having trouble with real food.  When I returned home again, I was very weak and needed help in my house, with help from family and friends staying on the main floor, then a brother arranged for me to stay at a retirement community for the month of August while regaining the strength in my legs and could return home.

I have managed very well since and am now waiting to have my next colonoscopy in September which I expect to be clean from what I have observed from my stool.

Re: Rectal Cancer

Posted by Whitelilies on Aug 1, 2020 10:06 am

Edward 1‍ Hello Edward and welcome to this caring site.....filled with people who are kind, caring and offer support.
So sorry, for the reason to join us.....
We are BOTH on the same path! YUP: I GET IT.
Oh my gosh, you did have a tough go of the ostomy bag....I am so sad to hear this....but it is off, and in September, fingers crossed, and all will be clear!
Hopefully food intake will be less difficult over time....start with softer/easy to digest foods....boiled veggies, soft fruits, smoothies, soups, avocados and more....go easy!
I had Radiation.....then surgery to remove tumour (stage 2/3).....Ileostomy Bag (was told from the get-go).....6 months of the bag....I too had struggles....I had an infection within the first week.....keeping the seal on AND tight was my challenge.....over the course of time, you learn Tricks Of The Trade.....(DONT eat cabbage !).....then I too had a reversal done.
At present, bowels have a NEW normal.  I know where the Loo is located within 25 km of my place!  (in case I actually go somewhere ?)
I hope all is CLEAR in September....I wish you well, positive vibes sending your way.......walk outdoors, enjoy the sunshine, sip tea under a tree! 

Regards
Whitelilies

Lillian

Re: Rectoral Cancer

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Aug 5, 2020 10:53 am

Edward 1‍ 

Thanks for introducing yourself. I have moved your post to our colorectal cancer thread where you can connect with others. 

Here is a link: https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewcategory/64

Wishing you well in September!
Lacey