Ongoing bowel issues.... Any recommendations for probiotics?

Ongoing bowel issues.... Any recommendations for probiotics?

Posted by alexisrj on Jun 24, 2020 9:54 pm

I've been having a some bowel issues after my surgery. It's been almost 7 weeks I think since my surgery. I had been quite frequent (~9x per day) but other than that, pretty manageable. The past week or so, I've been feeling constipated, going to the bathroom 10-12 times but not able to poop every time, or straining for very small poos, occasional diarrhea. I have been taking metamucil every morning since after I got home from the hospital and also restoralax at bedtime which is helping with the first half of the day. I spoke to my surgeon today who said it's just trial and error to see what works and to play around with the metamucil and restoralax but he strongly recommended a probiotic with at least 5 strains. I have never taken one before and there are so many different ones. Has anyone found a good one that works? Any recommendations? Or other ideas to try? He said that what it's like now is probably a good indication of what it will be like going forward. 😕

Re: Ongoing bowel issues.... Any recommendations for probiotics?

Posted by Wendy Tea on Jun 24, 2020 11:47 pm

Whitelilies‍  Are you able to help alexisrj‍ ?  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by Runner Girl on Jun 25, 2020 7:52 am

Hi alexisrj‍ ,

I am sorry you are having such difficulties.  While I have breast cancer, I also suffer from irritable bowel syndrome so I have some experience with bowel issues.  Might I suggest you take a trip to your local health food store and have a conversation with someone there about probiotics and exactly why you need them.   I have tried several over the last number of years and my experience has been that they work for a while and then I need to switch it up to another one.  

To try to "schedule" my IBS so I can get on with my day I have a cup of green tea first thing in the morning.  I find this gets things "moving".  I also take 1 tbsp of Metamucil every morning, after my cup of tea.

As everyone's body is different it truly is trial and error, unfortunately. 

Runner Girl 
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Whitelilies on Jun 25, 2020 9:09 am

alexisrj‍ Hello
Reading this was SO timely....I just had a virtual appt with my Naturopath/Specializes in Oncology.....
I too have same issues, downtown!! LOTS of "traffic".

She has recommended:
Cyto Matrix GI Soothe, 60 Veg Caps
Ctyo Matrix Multi-Strain-11, 60 Enteric Coated Veg Caps

I could not buy these at Ambrosia Health Store yesterday....they do NOT carry Cyto Matrix.

Here is where I ordered from:  BMSresources.ca
This is the health/pharmacy on main floor of the Naturopath College, where I get my Vitamin C / IV....They are very helpful at this store.....mostly run by the students in Naturopath College/Residents do shifts there too....Elana runs the place! They do deliver as well.

Naturopath also recommended to me (for tender/red zone, due to multiple "visits" to Loo !): St. Francis Calendula Vitamin E Cream.....this is available at Ambrosia Store....it is soothing, yellow...may stain she said, so wear a liner, until healed.

I hope this helps a bit......Black Tea was also suggested.....

Warmly,
Lillian
Whitelilies

thx Wendy Tea for the tag.

Posted by alexisrj on Jun 27, 2020 11:39 am

Runner Girl‍ Thanks for the response! I have added in the green tea since coffee has been upsetting my stomach lately.... my doctor suggested making my own yoghurt as an option also since I'd know the bacteria strains in it and know that they are alive and working (otherwise, it doesn't turn into yoghurt) and he said you can easily add in different strains if it stops working. I don't know what's open yet here in Ontario... we're in phase 2 but it seems like businesses can choose if they are open or not so not everything has opened yet. 😕

Posted by alexisrj on Jun 27, 2020 11:41 am

Whitelilies‍ thanks for the suggestions! I'll check that website and see what I can find. Might try making my own yoghurt.... it sounds like fun! But also is supposed to be quite easy! We'll see.... lol.

Posted by Melinda on Jun 29, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi Alexis, this reply is a bit late. I’m now at my off grid cabin and only get cell service once in a while. 😁
you described exactly what my bowel movements were at around 7 weeks too. Now at 12 weeks I’ve gotten better, mostly and the answer for me was prunes. I used Metamucil and Restoralax, but then it felt like too much straining. I called the nurse and he suggested prune juice. Tried that but got too loose, then settled on prunes rather than juice. I eat 2-5 early in the morning and have a movement or two about 3 hours later. Then sometimes one more in the day, but way less than the 8-10 times I was having before. I’ve taken Restoralax a couple times after trying a food that stopped me up as I figure out what I can add back into my diet. 
hope this helps. If was a relief for me and makes the day easier. 
Melinda