Starting Chemo FOLFOX6 in two weeks . Please advise about preparation.

Starting Chemo FOLFOX6 in two weeks . Please advise about preparation.

Posted by Lolo14 on May 5, 2020 11:33 am

Hi,
On April 14 my ascending and transverse colon were removed and they found stage 3B cancer (4 lymph nodes) 
Starting chemo on May 21 -FOLFOX6
I'm looking for the best preparation , diet , supplements that would be recommended.
Any suggestions how to survive 6 months of chemo and what to expect it would be really appreciated.

Re: Starting Chemo FOLFOX6 in two weeks . Please advise about preparation.

Posted by Andree1 on May 5, 2020 12:39 pm

I have had Folfox chemo in 2017. It really scared me and the more I read about it on internet, the more worried I got!!! So.... my first advice is to stick to the official cancer sites, like this one and to the advice of your nurses and doctors. The other advice I would like to give you is to take your meds...even if you don’t feel you need it.  Your oncologist will give you prescriptions for nausea, and one pill to take on the morning of your chemo. What I found is that sometimes, depending on your bloodwork results, you might not receive your treatment that very day, so I would bring the pill with me and take it as soon as it was ok’ed at the cancer centre.  I did not take supplement and it would be best if you consult your oncologist before you take any supplement to make sure it does not interfere with your treatment.  I did not get nauseous except once, and this was not related to the chemo. It was after taking pain meds for my surgery.  After that, tylenol was the best for me. The oxyplatine will make you very sensitive to cold.  It is very important that you do not touch very cold items, so I bought those gardening gloves that have rubberized palms and fingers to take stuff from the fridge and the freezer. This was better than kitchen mitts for me.  
I will start a new chemo regime next week.  This time I plan to exercise more than I did with the folfox.  The fatigue is there, but regular exercise, even if it’s just a slow walk around the block is beneficial.  
I wish you the best of luck with your folfox chemo.  You will be well informed and reassured by the staff, I’m sure. 

Posted by Lolo14 on May 5, 2020 1:54 pm

Thank you very much for such quick response . Good luck to you as well.

Posted by Haemish on May 11, 2020 3:58 pm

Lolo14Andree1‍ thanks so much for making this Lolo.  I will be tuning in to see what else is here.  I am due to have surgery at the end of May and then FOLFOX to follow for four to six months.  I have already had chemo/radiation treatment for my stage 3 rectal cancer.  I too made the mistake of reading stuff in the internet.  You would think I would have learned from my radiation treatments because I had very few problems and was prepared for much worse.  Just remember that everyone is different And I would concur about the walking.  I walked everyday during first phase of treatments and never was fatigued.  Best of luck and hopefully we can keep in touch.  

Posted by Andree1 on May 11, 2020 6:20 pm

Thanks!  Yes, this week is THE week!  Port insertion tomorrow, chemo infusion Wednesday, bottle removal and port flush Friday.  I’ll let you know how it goes... as long as it is effective, that’s what I want! 

Posted by Princess Sela on May 12, 2020 6:32 am

My first FOLFOX6 treatment yesterday following PICC Line insertion.  I worried about the line and treatment days prior.  It was wasted worry.   I felt nothing except the needle for freezing at the insertion.   Listen to instructions from the nurses, pharmacist and your doctors as best as you can.  
I just started day two at home on my own with the bottle working as it should.  I had minor side effects so far and feel a little tired but not as bad as before my cancer was removed.  I had the same stage cancer as you have or had.  Relax if you can, and that is funny coming from me🙃. I told myself these side effects are not going to be a problem for me and they haven’t been yet.  It is early, I know but take each happy moment I have.   
My chemo nurse was fantastic.  She told me to advise my doctor if bothersome side effects or risky ones appear.  She ended with assuring me that does can be changed to make me more comfortable.  My doctor had also said that communication with my team will determine my experience.  Maybe I am naive but we live one day at a time and today I feel better than expected.     I wish you well and hope your experience isn’t as bad as expected.

Posted by Whitelilies on May 12, 2020 10:47 am

Lolo14‍ Hello
I just want to wish you STRENGTH.....you can do this!
I had radiation (no chemo) for my colon cancer....
Sending virtual huggs
Lillian

Whitelilies 

Posted by HermMar on May 22, 2020 10:04 pm

I was diagnosed with Stage 2 colon cancer and went on modified folflox traetmemt.  I was told by oncology nurse that one drug oxaliptiin causes tingling sensation when you touch anything cold.  I used to have a winter glove by the fridge and would use it anytime I take something out.  
I was given 12 cycles but refused the last one as I had enough.  I started feeling tingling and numbness after the 10th so I did not say anything as I will have my last one (11th).  It actually made it worse as a year after my last chemo, neuropathy is still there.  
When I asked the doctor if it will go away and he said “it will get better”. 
I learned to cope with the neuropathy as it will be permanent due to nerve damage.  
So far so good and going for my one year appointment end of May 2020.