It's official - I definitely have Cancer!

It's official - I definitely have Cancer!

Posted by Aries on Mar 14, 2019 8:44 pm

I had an appointment with the doctor today to go over results of all my scans and it's official I definitely have colorectal cancer spread to my liver as initially thought - it has spread into my liver extensively, both sides are affected and there is no chance for surgery to remove any at this stage. The scans also showed my lymph nodes has been affected as well as the left pelvic wall so spread out a bit more than initially thought.
Chemo - 5-FU drug sounds to be the go to treatment along with radiation. I should be hearing from the BC Cancer Agency to start treatment within a couple of days.
Now I know the official word on things, I feel relieved that it is what it is and not more - every twinge I have felt, in my mind became cancer related. And now I am ready to fight - I am still planning to remain on my path of positivity and belief that I can overcome this.
I know this is going to be a tough fight but having heard from some of you about your own fight, has been so inspiring and helpful to me ... thank you all so much!

Now let's Kick Cancers' Butt!!

Re: It's official - I definitely have Cancer!

Posted by Brighty on Mar 14, 2019 9:08 pm

Aries‍  I'm so sorry to hear this news.     At least you know what you dealing with now.    You sound like such a fighter and I commend you!!!!!     We will be by your side while you fight this!!!!!!

Posted by ashcon on Mar 14, 2019 9:11 pm

Aries‍ 

Thanks for letting us know - we are in this corner with you!  You are so right about feeling a sense of relief, now that you know that name and size of the beast, and knowing that you have your 'team' pulling together their resources, plans, meds, and schedule to take this on with you.

I am not sure others out there would understand the determination and positivity that comes from hearing the words, "you have cancer" but, all of us here do.  Consider the folks on this site to be part of your team, as well, in kicking some "C-butt"!

Will you be having any more tests before they start you on the chemo regime?

Posted by Aries on Mar 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks Brighty and Ann (ashcon)

I don't think I have any more tests to get - I think I got them all. So should be straight to chemo unless the Oncologist has something else for me.

I'm not really sure where the fighter in me comes from - if you met me you probably wouldn't think I had one! haha ... but I seem to have an inner strength and a determination that I was clearly born with to deal with this. I think I get it from my dad! :)

Hope you are both doing well.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Mar 15, 2019 2:01 am

Aries‍ , I used to have a cross stitch that hung over the headway down my stairs that read, “Women are like tea leaves, you don’t know their strength until they’re in hot water!”

Posted by Aries on Mar 15, 2019 7:41 am

Hi Cynthia Mac,

I love it! And being English who loves nothing more than a good strong cuppa - very fitting! 😀 I believe tea is a cure all - haha

Posted by Runner Girl on Mar 15, 2019 8:52 am

Hi Aries‍ ,

I'm so sorry about your results.  However, I am thrilled to see the fighter in you come out!!  We're right there with you for this ride.  We'll help you thru the good and the bad.

Keep yourself well hydrated and exercise as you are able.  You're going to kick this!

Gayle - Runner Girl

Posted by Aries on Mar 15, 2019 9:06 am

Thanks Gayle (Runner Girl)

I appreciate your words of encouragement 😊

Re: It's official - I definitely have Cancer! *Update*

Posted by Aries on Mar 20, 2019 12:39 am

Hi all,
I had my first meeting with the Medical Oncologist today; I think it went well. She discussed the chemotherapy plan - 2 week cycles for about 4 months. 46 hours of infusion which I can do from home and then 12 day rest period then start over. The drugs will be Fluorouacil (5-FU) and Irinotecan initially and then if all is going ok, adding in Bevacizumab. Has anyone had experience with any of these? she said in her experience, most people seem to manage these ok so I am hopeful that will be the case for me. I am happy I can be at home though, that will be huge for my sense of spirit. As nervous as I am about the treatment I am happy I have a plan now and still feel confident that I will get through this. She also said I was atypical as far as symptoms go as I don't really have any pain (not enough got pain meds) and overall I still feel fine so hoping that will carry me through treatment too.
I asked questions about Immunotherapy and alternate options. They are going to do a Hereditary test which apparently will help them determine if other options will be available. She wasn't a believer at all in treatments that didn't involve traditional therapies but that was to be expected; I didn't think she would promote other options aside from chemo.
Radiation won't happen yet if at all ... that will come later, which I am kind of relieved about. I think I need to go one at a time.
I have to get a port implanted instead of getting an iv every time ... bit nervous about that but trying not to think about it,
Anyway, that's it so far - will keep you posted.
I hope everyone is doing well :)

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Mar 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Aries‍ 

Thanks for the update.

I'm glad treatment is getting started and you are feeling ready to take this on! 

Here are some posts about people's experiences with a port I thought you would find helpful:
Power Port- I Have The Power
Port or Pic has anyone had these

Tip: When replying to people on the site type the @ symbol and then their username to tag them. They will then receive a notification that you have written a reply to them 😊

Anyone else have experience with a Port to share?

I'm so glad you found our community and have connected so quickly!
Lacey

Share with your friends: