Welcome - say "hi" and introduce yourself to the group!

Welcome - say "hi" and introduce yourself to the group!

Posted by heather1 on Jun 27, 2012 11:48 am

Hi everyone - this is a really new group so a great way to start is to introduce yourself to others. Tell a bit of your story - as much or as little as you feel comfortable sharing.

Once you've done that you might also want to click on "Post at Topic"  to start a new discussion. It could be about something that's worrying you, that your wondering about, that you want to celebrate, that you'd like other members to provide thoughts on ...whatever's on your mind about caring for a child with cancer.

Looking forward to "meeting" everyone

RE: Welcome - say "hi" and introduce yourself to the group!

Posted by KancerKid on Jun 27, 2012 12:00 pm

My son was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma, a type of muscle cancer which showed up in his eye orbit in Dec 2011, he was 22 months old. We are about halfway through his treatments right now! YAY!

Posted by cancermomma on Jun 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Everyone,
My name is Shawna. My son was diagnosed with medulloblastoma (brain cancer) when he had just turned 6. He is now  11. His tumour was resected the day after diagnosis. He had 30 radiation treatments and 9 cycles of chemo. His scans post treatment have shown no evidence of disease. We are very thankful. I'm happy to share our story and be there for anyone who has questions or just needs someone to talk to.

Posted by KancerKid on Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks for sharing, its always great to hear good news about cancer kids! Way to go!

Posted by Luckylorac on Jun 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Hello! I am Carol, single mom from Kelowna. My daughter was diagnosed March 2011 with stage 2 Hodgkins Lymphoma. She has been in remission since Christmas and just finished Grade 10 with flying colours! Cancer was the worst thing I could have ever imagined to come into our life but we have found so many silver linings and blessings we could never have imagined. Was hard to find support in Kelowna with other parents experiencing the ups and downs. This site has been excellent!!! Looking forward to sharing my good and bad days with anyone else. Hugs! xo

Posted by Daffodil15 on Jul 5, 2012 1:40 am

Hi,

My daughter was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma in her bladder in September 2010 when she was a year and a half.  She had 11 months of chemo and 28 rounds of radiation as well as an emergency surgery to partially resect her tumour.  She finished treatment in August 2011, and she is now 3 years old.  We will be going in for her 1 year post-treatment scans at the end of this month. 

Posted by Daffodil15 on Jul 5, 2012 1:47 am

My daughter also has Rhabdomyosarcoma, and she was 17 months old at diagnosis.  What treatment plan are you on?  My daughter was Intermediate Risk, and on a clinical trial. She finished treatment last August.  Good luck to you and your son, I will be thinking of you!

Posted by KancerKid on Jul 5, 2012 9:35 am

Hi Daffy, My son has had 5 weeks of Rads, and we are just past the middle of 48 weeks of chemo. (Chemo every week in the clinic, then every third week we stay in the
ward for a couple of nights for BIG chemo) We were very lucky to catch Griffin's tumour early, he was stage 1, type 3. (10 cm mass contained in his eye orbit and thankfully didn't travel anywhere else) Since it was in his eye is was very easy to spot! But it still took me 4 doctors to get someone to look into it! Good luck to guys too! :)

Posted by kylie's_care on Aug 7, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

My daughter Kylie was diagnosed with Leukemia - ALL in April of 2012.  She was having some back pain around Easter and we took her into our local hospital and they couldn't find anything wrong with her.  We ended up going to McMaster Children's Hospital after she stopped walking completely and they ran some tests but still couldn't find the source of her back pain.  They had us come back for a follow up and they did more blood work, x-rays and finally had us do an MRI at 8:40 that night which was Thursday, April 19/12.  What was supposed to be a 1 hr MRI turned into 3.5 hours and they discovered several tumours on her spine, bladder and head and they did surgery an hour later as one of the tumours was compressing her spine and they feared that if they didn't do surgery then she may never walk again.  Her surgery lasted about 3 hours and then was diagnosed with Leukemia later that day.  It's been completely hell for us these past few months with chemo, extended hospital stays and she is still not walking but we hope that with continued therapy we will get her walking again.  I'm so glad for this site to know there are others going through this and look forward to sharing and helping.

Posted by Mom2Nick on Jan 13, 2013 9:42 pm

My son was diagnosed with Stage 2 Wilms tumour (kidney cancer) in April 2011.  He did EE4A protocol (26 weeks of 2 chemo drugs) weekly.  Then relapsed in first off treatment scan in September 2011, with Stage 3 wilms ... luckily not anaplastic.  He continued aggressive treatment from October 2011 to April 2012 including radiation and has now been cancer free since May 2012.  He was 18 months at diagnosis and now a growing 3 year old!!  Glad to have found this group!

Posted by KancerKid on Jan 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Little Update! My son is turning 3 years old next month and is currently a very HEALTHY and happy little boy! His colour is back, hair is growing in and he is running around like a crazy chicken! He finished treatments in October and pretty much back to normal. He still has some nerve damage in his feet from the chemo but its doesn't slow him down! YAY!!!!

Posted by Janet_admin on Jan 14, 2013 4:57 pm

What wonderful news!  You must be so glad that you persevered in getting your son diagnosed ( going to four different doctors). Thanks for sharing your good news.

Posted by cancermomma on Jan 23, 2013 5:52 pm

It is so great to read the your son is doing well. 

Re: Welcome - say "hi" and introduce yourself to the group!

Posted by Sarah08 on Feb 6, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi. I am Habib.My Daughter is diagnosed with ALL - Type B and she is currently in maintenance stage. Due to chemo medicines, she had a foot drop and is using sprints for walking. Also, there are many side affects. We ar ein halifax, NS and go to IWK, Six link North for treatment. Is there any one in this group for ALL - Type B , going to IWK or Sick children , Toronto. ? If yes, please PM me. Thanks.