+ Reply
Cervical cancer 1B1.
Newtocancer
10 Posts
Hi there
I am 46 years old and was diagnosed with cervical cancer a few days ago. Right now, I am waiting to hear from Princess Margret about next steps.

If any of you have had a similar diagnosis, I would appreciate any information on your journey and treatment plan.

I’ll share my journey as well if anyone thinks it will help them get through this.

14 Replies
Brighty
8442 Posts
Welcome Newtocancer‍ so sorry for your diagnosis. I want to bring your attention to our cervical cancer discussion under '" forums ''cancer types 'and 'cervical cancer. Also meet Peta‍ and Baucoin‍ who can share with you. I'm going to search for a few others to connect with.
Brighty
8442 Posts
Newtocancer‍ theres also Catlover‍ and morningglory88
Peta
21 Posts
You're only a few years older than me....and on a very similar journey! I received your message in my DM's....I'll respond to you there. P.x
Whitelilies
2272 Posts

@Newtocancer Hello and welcome again….I am sorry to hear of your very recent diagnosis….PMH (Princess Margaret Hospital) is world renowned….you will be in good hands….I see you have had some responses already, I am so happy for this…..

So, I will include a link below; and hope it is helpful.

Regards

Whitelilies

Catlover
31 Posts
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Last April, I was diagnosed with cancer. Since my cancer tumour was 1/2 in my cervix and 1/2 in my uterus it was not clear whether it was uterine or cervical cancer. from the biopsy or the CT scan or MRI. It ended up being Stage 3C Uterine cancer meaning I had the cancer tumour and it had spread to lymph nodes in my pelvis and abdomen. Thankfully lymph nodes can be removed which they did at the same time as my hysterectomy surgery. I had both chemo and radiation to ensure I was rid of any tiny cancer cells that cannot be seen on the CT scan. I am now cancer free, and low risk of recurrence. It was a difficult road, but worth it on the other side. This forum was very helpful for me.
Maya
23 Posts
Hello there! I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, stage 2b 10 years ago at the age of 38 and was fortunate to receive treatment at PMH. I underwent chemoradiation where I did 5 weeks of radiation in conjunction with 1 chemo session each week. At the end of the 5 weeks, I had a 1 week break after which I was admitted for 3 days for brachytherapy. I heard that there have been advancements since then which can only be good news :)
I'm happy to report that I am healthier than I have ever been (except for the normal aging process lol) but I hope that my happy story brings you hope. I've always felt very fortunate to have been treated at PMH. You are in the right hands, my friend.

Good luck and if you have any questions, let me know!
Maya

Newtocancer
10 Posts
THank you to all of you who kindly responded and shared your stories and encouragement. I can only imagine the courage that each of you might have.

I’m wondering if you have any recommendations for preparing for surgery? I live in a house where the master is in the attic. I’ve been told that stairs might not be that easy.

did any of you go into menopause? Did you try hormone replacement therapy?

were there foods that helped?

Were you able to look after yourself or did you need a partner/family/friend to help you?

thank you.

Newtocancer
10 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I am so happy to hear you are feeling better than ever!
Catlover
31 Posts
I had a full hysterectomy. I was 58 years and my period ended 7 years before, so I expect our experience will be different around the hormonal changes. I have had milder hot flashes though, and I hadn’t experienced hot flashes for at least 4 years. My oncologist said that I would need to keep a check on and maintain my bone density. My naturopath recommended some supplements and a bone density baseline test. This was all after my treatments were done.

I had no problem with stairs as long as I always held on to the banister. It just took longer. They suggested I walk 1/2 hour a day before surgery, to get me into shape for post op. And it certainly helped.

Protein seemed to help, and a good balanced diet. When people asked what I needed, I said meals. You need 3 meals a day to keep your energy up.

And at least one helper would be good, but you’ll see as you go. We all have different experiences, but ask for the help you need to help your healing: mind, body and spirit.
Caroline R
2 Posts

Hi @Newtocancer , you and I are at the same stage of what might be a similar journey. I am also waiting to hear about next steps. Perhaps we can walk together and support each other? Caroline

Brighty
8442 Posts

Welcome Caroline R‍ !I'm glad you have already found someone to connect with. Hope you find the site supportive. When were you diagnosed? Keep us updated on your next steps. Catlover‍ and Maya ‍and @Peta may also be able to help.

Peta
21 Posts

Thanks @Brighty and welcome @Caroline R please do feel free to reach out if I can help you in any way! Kindly, Peta

Hello I am new here. I was I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 2012 and I had a note in my abdomen and in my left hip so I was had 46 treatments of radiation 6 weeks of chemo and then three more weeks of Brachiosaurus p in 2014 the cancer came back in one of the nodes in my abdomen which they thought that chemo would take care of and since I have a cross-section kidney both of my kidneys are on the same side one in the front and once in the back and it snowed was behind that one kidney so I had to have another round of chemotherapy which was Paxil taxol and I'm not sure of the other chemo drug but I had a severe reaction from the Paxil taxol with severe nerve damage resulting in my hands and from my knees down the knees down I can't feel really they've just feel like my feet are sitting on a block of ice all the time pins and needles and yeah I have terrible pain and because I can't feel a lot I fall a lot and I've had to have two knee Replacements and I had to have two feet of my colon removed do the radiation damage and every 4 months I have to have a stent put in to my kidney liver function as both of my kidneys have a cross-section kidney once in the front and once in the back but both on my right side and I'm just looking for some support to help with chronic side effects and just the isolation last nine ten years the only times I've been out of my home is two doctor appointments groceries and that's about it I don't even want to be seen in public I've lost a tremendous amount of weight in the last year I'm 5 foot 11 a year ago as 185 non 155 I seem to vomit almost daily and I have issues with bathroom: issues my: doesn't function but I'm just thought I'd look for something someone or someone that I could share my story with maybe get some information thank you
Janice68
3 Posts

Hi I’m 53 and I have stage 4 cervical cancer. Started as stage 3. Had chemo and radiation. Did fairly well some nausea but seemed to manage it. Then cancer spread to my lung a few months later. Stronger chemo lost hair but otherwise good. Few months later now affecting my kidney. Just had MRI to determine what’s going on. I’m fighting as hard as I can!

+ Reply