+ Reply
Mom diagnosed today.
JazThomson
25 Posts
My mom (aged 41) just got diagnosed with cervical cancer today. Stage 2 with HPV (never had it before now). I'm staying strong and calm for her so I'm just looking for a place to vent and cry a little in privacy lol I'm 22, and have 2 little boys of my own. Currently studying CCA (Continuing Care Assistant) in November. But the course is mostly online so I'll have plenty of time to help mom. The doctor said they're waiting for it to get worse before they treat so they can give it their all but she's having difficulties finding a doctor because her doctor who diagnosed is leaving the province.
18 Replies
Essjay
1955 Posts
JazThomson‍ so sorry to hear about your Mom - it’s so hard to see a loved one going through serious illness.

i see you yourself went through a breast cancer scare last year so I am sure you know first hand some of what she has experienced recently. You know Cancerconnections and how supportive the community is, and lots of caregivers connect here. Your Mom is lucky to have you there to support her.

i am going to tag Elsie13‍ who has been through Cervical cancer stage 2 diagnosis and treatment and is living well cancer free now. I hope her story will give you some comfort as you face the journey with your Mom.

I’m sure you have lots of questions, when you are ready to ask them, and someone is sure to be able to help.

In the meantime, bug hugs to you . Essjay
JazThomson
25 Posts
@Essjay‍ thanks love. I've sent her a link to join the community here so she knows that there's support and info and just other people who've done it. I hope it helps her ❤
Maya
23 Posts
Hi Jaz, JazThomson‍ 

I was diagnosed with stage 2b cervical cancer back in 2011 when I was 38.  I underwent chemoradiation followed by brachytherapy. It's been over 9 years now and I'm doing very well. I hope my story brings hope to you and your mom.

What province are you in? Is your mom's family doctor/gynecologist not able to refer her to an oncologist? I'm in Ontario. I was diagnosed at Mount Sinai hospital and treated at Princess Margaret Hospital in downtown Toronto. 

Maya. 
JazThomson
25 Posts
She going to have to go to her family doctor to get a new OB and probably an oncologist. I'll either go with her or kind of make a note of things to ask 
JazThomson
25 Posts
We are in Nova Scotia by the way 
Maya
23 Posts
If you have any questions, pls feel free to ask me or anyone here at Cancerconnections.  One thing I'd like to mention .... I'm not convinced about the "waiting for it to get worse before they treat" approach. I believe that with cancer, the earlier it's treated, the better the outcome. It's good to get that second opinion. I hope your mother finds a good doctor. Good luck!! 

JazThomson
25 Posts
I believe since he's leaving within the week like out of province that was an excuse in a sense. She's 2a but there hasn't been any MRI's or other testing so that could change. Just a biopsy. I don't believe in that waiting approach either so tomorrow we are calling her doctor to get an oncologist on board and a new OB. He might want to wait but I don't. 
JazThomson
25 Posts
Update for you lovely ladies. Mom called her family doc this morning and told them what's going on. Thankfully an instant response. They're sending her to an oncologist in Bridgewater (about 2 hours travel) and she has an appointment with her family doc Thursday so get this started immediately. I'm happy they're taking this so seriously. She was so scared that they'd brush her off and she wouldn't get good care. 
Yuliya
98 Posts
Good job for advocating for your Mom JazThomson‍ ! You taking a small steps to achieve the task. I wish your Mom a very successful treatment and please keep us posted.
JazThomson‍ - Great news! So glad she got a quick response.

I hope you're breathing a sigh of relief today!
Lacey
JazThomson
25 Posts
Hi ladies, of course I'll keep you all updated. It's relieving that she's getting care quickly so it's a good to know they're taking this as seriously as we want / need them too. She seems to be in better spirits today, asking questions and cracking jokes. I'll update after the docs on Thursday 
Elsie13
1545 Posts
Hi  JazThomson‍ , I'm glad your mom will be seeing those doctors soon.  In my case I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2016.  When I got the pathology report, it said stage 2 ovarian cancer. However, some months later, after hysterectomy, chemo and radiation, they told me there was a new way of staging these things.  What I'd had was now called stage 1C.
 Now I'm No Evidence of Disease and going for blood tests and follow-ups every 6 months. 
Cynthia Mac
3872 Posts
JazThomson‍, After I pm’d you, I saw this thread. I’m glad your Mom is getting the attention she needs and deserves.

When my Dad was diagnosed, I started a coil ring notebook for him with dividers. I set one up with contacts, medication lists, one for important dates, one for questions and answers from appointments, and one to record symptoms. That gave us a central location to write all his health-related concerns, and it was easy for him to reference.  
JazThomson
25 Posts
I already got mom to pick me up a notebook to do this with (easier for her to grab she works at the dollar store) so I can keep it organized to the hilt! Thanks :) 
JazThomson
25 Posts
Good news everyone!!! I don't know how, but it isn't 2A... It's just pre cancer (scis?) And they'll do a pap in 6 months. 
Yuliya
98 Posts
Wow... that's what I call emotional roller coaster! What a plot twist in only a week. I am very happy for you both!
Essjay
1955 Posts
JazThomson‍ that is awesome news! Time to celebrate 🍾
JazThomson‍ 

Such great news! Thanks for circling back to let us know.

All the best to your mom. I had the same diagnosis several years after my bc diagnosis and after a procedure I was followed by the cancer agency for 2 years and haven't looked back.

Lianne
+ Reply