+ Reply
Young girl with glioblastoma
Ranch
7 Posts
A colleague’s 8 yr. old daughter was diagnosed with glioma last week. He is devastated. She will be undergoing a biopsy to see if she qualifies for a trial at sick kids. We are trying to be as supportive as we can be, but feel helpless in the face of such an overwhelming obstacle.
2 Replies
JenG
162 Posts

Hi @Ranch, I’m sorry to hear about your friend’s daughter. I know nothing about this cancer nor the treatment, but I know a bit about caregiving (was one for my mom). Just the fact that you are asking for some help to help your friend is awesome. So many people don’t know what to do or what to say when cancer hits.

I‘d start by offering your time. A listening ear so the parents can rant or a shoulder to cry on. Do they have other kids who could use rides to activities while the parents take the 8 year old to appointments? Would they like you to pick up groceries they’ve ordered or cook up some meals? Babysitting? Laundry? Cancer takes over a person’s life and if they are already busy then it can become overwhelming.

Really it all starts with a conversation with your friend. It may seem like all you should say is I’m here if you need me but it’s a better idea to say what you can offer (rides, groceries, food, etc) and let them pick. Or maybe you can rally the troops and set up a schedule so others can help too.

It’s a big commitment for sure, but your friend will need all the love and support they can get.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jen.

Whitelilies
2440 Posts

@Ranch Hello……I am sorry to hear of your colleague's daughters' diagnosis…..it is so hard…..for the entire family…..what a kind friend you are….wanting to offer support……

@JenG gave some terrific ideas to help…they “may” be, just in “shock” for a bit of time…perhaps, just place groceries on front steps! Love the idea, of letting the family “choose” what they need…a bit of control, goes back to them.
Here is a site; perhaps of help:

+ Reply