+ Reply
Whole Brain radiation
BigPopi
60 Posts

In the spring of 2021 I had a metastatic brain tumor removed followed by targeted high dose radiation. MRI late last year had indicated NED. I recently learned the cancer has returned. Whole brain radiation may be a treatment option. I am reluctant to undergo another surgery. Can anyone offer me their experience with this? Original cancer was lung which has been shrinking due to immunotherapy program. Thank you!

17 Replies

Hello @BigPopi

I am sorry you haven't had any responses yet. While we have many members with a cancer recurrence, I can't think of any with a brain recurrence off the top of my head.

In the meantime, I wanted to share some other resources that may be helpful.

Here is some info from cancer.ca on brain cancer radiation, with a list of possible questions to ask

https://cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-types/brain-and-spinal-cord/treatment/radiation-therapy

Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada https://www.braintumour.ca/category/support-group/ has group and virtual support where you may find someone with a similar sitation as yourself.

And we are here to support you otherwise as best we can.

Have you been given treatment options? Do you have a followup appointment set yet to discuss this?

Lianne

BigPopi
60 Posts

Lianne, Thank you for your kindness and suggestions. I think I will post on the BTF site. Treatment plan is a work in progress. Some suggestion of another surgery. My wife and I prefer to avoid this. The plan at this time is to schedule another MRI in approx 5/6 weeks time to see how fast tumor is growing. They may have to send me out of town. Only 1 MRI unit is functioning in our city at this time. I could make a comment about the priorities of the Ontario government, but this is not the forum for that!

Essjay
2050 Posts

@BigPopi I have no experience of what you are going through just wanted to say sorry to hear this news. essjay

BigPopi
60 Posts

Just want to say that there is so much kindness and consideration on this site. I try my best to Thank my wife for every day for these things as well:-) Maybe personal success is still possible in this life!!

@BigPopi I hope you are able to get on a cancellation/short notice for the MRI and get it done sooner than later.

- keep us posted on how you are doing as you are able/comfortable.

Lianne

BigPopi
60 Posts

Thank you Lianne, If this drags out too long, l am going to request an appointment in another city.

Trillium
2116 Posts

Oh no @BigPopi…. I’m so sorry you have gotten this news. It may be worth it to travel to another city to get an MRI sooner. While you are there take in the sites maybe?

I believe it is always possible to succeed in our personal lives❣️

Please do keep talking to us if you feel up to it.

Many big warm hugs for you if you need them❤️‍🩹

BigPopi
60 Posts

Thank you so much the kindness, support, and empathy on this site is great! I need to remind myself to contribute more:-) it's way too easy sometimes to sit back and feel sorry for yourself and ask, why is this happening to me:-)

BigPopi
60 Posts

Just found out MRI is scheduled for the end of May. This is within the time frame my oncologist was aiming for!

Trillium
2116 Posts

@BigPopi
That must ease your stress a little. Good to hear❣️ Not an easy wait though.

BigPopi
60 Posts

Recent MRI (May27) was inconclusive. Could be altered brain tissue caused by previous radiation treatments instead of a tumor. Another one scheduled in 3 months or sooner if seizures return and headaches develop. Seems reading MRIs can be somewhat interpretive. Sometimes I am confused about what the docs tell me somewhat later begin to question my intellectual capacity. Maybe my other oncologist can clarify when see him in a few weeks:-)

Thanks for the update @BigPopi . We will be standing by for another once you see the oncologist again.

Take care

BigPopi
60 Posts
Thank you Lianne:-)
Trillium
2116 Posts

We are all hoping it’s not a tumour @BigPopi. Do you have someone living with you. Sometimes we may not know we are having small seizures. Wishing you the best!

BigPopi
60 Posts
Thank you ! Been married to the same sweet gal for over 35 years! I am a lucky man:-)will need to advise to the younger members here.!! You need to hang in there:-) when my my wife and I took the vows many years ago, for better or worse. NOW We know what that means! It is not that we don't have disagreements:-):-):-)
Trillium
2116 Posts

@BigPopi - How wonderful to love someone for 35 yrs! You are both very lucky.

Today I saw a small framed paper of Congratulations to my parents from the ON gov’t on 65 yrs of marriage.

BigPopi
60 Posts
Wow! 65 years:-)
+ Reply