+ Reply
Glioblastoma- been there?
Fergee
3 Posts
Hi there,
My 47-year-old husband was diagnosed with grade 4 glioblastoma in December. I have since left my job to take care of him (and our 4 children). I am looking to connect with anyone who may have been where I am or who can shed any light into living with GBM and what we can expect.
Thank you!
9 Replies
Whitelilies
2440 Posts

@Fergee Hello Fergee and welcome from ON! I am sorry, to hear of your husbands' diagnosis…but please know you have found a caring community……we are here, to listen and share experiences, and support one another.

I will include a link below (Brain & Spinal) where you can read through, of others' experiences, that may be similar to yours husbands/some caregivers post there too…..feel free to reach out/'tag' a member/ask a question…even post a message, when you feel comfortable…..on the Discussion/forums, more members will see a message, and soon chime in…..to tag a member - just type “@”screen name (no space after @), select name, turns blue, they receive your message.

How is your husband doing? Is he in treatment?

I checked through the site…and found another caregiver, caring for her husband/similar path as yours Glioblastoma….also from ON…..she has not posted in a while…..I will tag her now; let's hope she can respond shortly……

Hello @SandiG Hi Sandi……kindly, could you share the experiences you, as a care giver have…and those of your husband, here….to support our new member @Fergee , also a caregiver from ON, caring for her husband……similar to yours/Glioblastoma…..much appreciation ….

Let's Connect & Support in ON!

We are here for you Fergee, and your husband….

Welcome Fergee

Whitelilies

#Glioblastoma #caregiving

Brighty
8498 Posts

Hi @Fergee im so sorry for your husband's diagnosis. @SandiG was in a similar position to you…..@@LJ21 @LJ21 has posted recently and perhaps,may be able to help you. How are you and your husband coping? Please reach out to family and friends for support. You might want to also have a chat with the cancer center social worker who is wonderful resource. The hospital might have support groups too you can look into. You aren't alone.

Fergee
3 Posts

My husband is doing ok currently. He is finished 30 days of radiation/tmz and 2 rounds of chemo. He is getting around much better now but he has lost a lot of cognitive function and is not independent, which is pretty hard. We have 4 kids and a farm and I feel caught between my husband who is sick and my kids who are very much still living.

Brighty
8498 Posts

@Fergee glad your husband is doing ok…you do have a lot on your plate. Can you ask for help from friends, family members or even neighbours? How are the kids coping?

Fergee
3 Posts

I do have lots of help, and for that I am grateful. I’m just looking to “meet” someone who knows what I’m going through, as I have lots of wild feelings that I can’t explain to my regular support network. Thank you for your kindness!

Brighty
8498 Posts

@Fergee hi there…although they are all caring, or cared for for partners with different cancer types, the feelings and fears are shared by all. @D1955 , @Marj99 @NickytheCanuck , @EmC @CentralAB and myself are some members you might want to reach out to . Please feel free to pour out your heart, relieve yourself of those wild feelings…because we get it!!!

D1955
123 Posts

@Fergee

I am glad you found this site. I wished I had found it earlier when I was helping my father through his cancer journey . Nov, 2007 was the start of a tough time. My father was diagnosed with Cance of unknown origin at a morning appointment and I waited at the cancer center for my husband's appointment I. The afternoon where he was diagnosed with CLL. My father passed away April 2008. My husband is still living with his cancer. He was lucky that a drug was found (NPLATES and Ibrutinib) to stall the disease. He is so far staying covid free and we are Looking forward to warmer days at our trailer.

Even though I am his care partner I am his wife and friend. Try and set some time when the kids are in bed to sit and be with him.

Take some moments each day just for you even if it is 5 minutes.

We have a health journal for my husband . It helps keep track as things may blur.

There are so many eager caring members here.

Lean on us, dump on us.

@Fergee so sorry you find yourself here but 100% agree you have found yourself in the right place for support. Whatever you need, to be understood, to be sad, mad, overwhelmed, we are hear to help lift you. My hubby has melanoma and I find this site a refuge and a safe space to know others are here to lift, care and support. Here in any way you need to help get through and sending you care and virtual hugs. Can only imagine how incredible difficult this must be for you along with being Mum of four. Mine had grown and were on their own by the time Steven received his diagnosis. I hope you both have lots of care and support to see you through all of this 💛

Renato
2 Posts

@Fergee I know the feeling - dealing with Kidney cancer myself is not easy but I did care for my young mother (I am an only child) with a GBM grade 4 as well, if you need anything let me know. Support is key!

+ Reply