+ Reply
Catheter Questions
LJ21
11 Posts

Hi all;

In June I had surgery to extract a sample for a biopsy from my spinal ependymoma (C6-T4 about 6 cm). Only about 10% was removed. Post-surgery I had little to no use or feeling in my body below the tumour site. I have since undergone 30 radiation treatments and am very slowly regaining some feeling (especially on my left side) and increased upper body dexterity.

I am still dealing with catheters and was wondering if any females in a similar situation may have tried indwelling (urethral or suprapubic catheters) or other options, and what the pros/cons may be? I feel it would provide me with more independence and freedom but want to know if there are downsides before committing. Any feedback is appreciated.

3 Replies
Boby1511
1037 Posts

@LJ21

Hi there

I had a catheter full time for about 4 months. Stuff hurts after a while.

Thinking they came to change it every couple weeks. Hurts.

They say you can get more UTIs, but I didn't get any. Mind you I was already taking IV antibiotics and pills, so maybe thats why.

I could always feel the thing. Even thou its in there snug, I would worry.

Always rearranging the line/bag at sleep time.

Given a choice I would have declined, but for the most part I had no choice. I wasn't able to pee on my own.

Although, full time, is an easier option than the in and out, several times a day. Way too painful that.

Sending you best wishes as you continue treatment.

Boby1511
1037 Posts

@LJ21

You can always try one then if you really don't like it. They will change you back to the daily thing.

Unless of course you mean the stomach one, I didn't have that one.

LJ21
11 Posts

yes - it's the stomach one I'm wondering about. 🤔Thank you though!

+ Reply