My nephew was diagnosed with brain cancer last week, Need help coping

My nephew was diagnosed with brain cancer last week, Need help coping

Posted by Barbie123 on May 19, 2020 11:44 am

My family got the most horrible news last week my 16 year old nephew suddenly got sick about 3 weeks ago and was diagnosed with brain cancer. They were told it is inoperable and they can't do chemo but will try radiation this week to try and slow it down. I'm so heart broken having a hard time coping. I can't even believe this is happening.

Re: My nephew was diagnosed with brain cancer last week, Need help coping

Posted by Essjay on May 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Hi Barbie123‍ so sorry for your family’s news.

You've found an awesome community here where you should find comfort and advice from those who have experienced cancer or who are caregivers.

And there are fantastic, trained people at the end of a phone who can answer most questions if it would help to talk to someone at the Cancer society information service 1-888-939-333.

Theres also a service to match people within patients and caregivers who have experienced the same or similar cancer www.match.cancer.ca

I am sure you are all shocked and in a daze at the news but do you have any particular questions just now?

best wishes Essjay 

Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Barbie123 on May 19, 2020 3:04 pm

Is there a way to send messages privately?

Posted by Wendy Tea on May 19, 2020 11:31 pm

Barbie123‍  Yes, click on the person's picture then a side bar menu will come up on the left with an option to Send Message. Ok?
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on May 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Welcome Barbie123‍ .
Very sorry to hear of your nephew's diagnosis. I am glad you have reached out here and shared your introduction.
We have a discussion forum for brain cancer here: https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewcategory/61
we also have caregiver discussions here:https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewcategory/35 

I see that Essjay‍  has share our helpline and Wendy Tea‍ has shown you how to private message someone.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please don't hesitate to reach out

Lianne

Posted by Whitelilies on May 21, 2020 10:46 am

Barbie123‍ Hello
I am so sorry to hear this news. I simply send you HUGS from afar.....send you strength to lift those loved ones who need it most....
Warmly,
Whitelilies

Lillian 

Posted by ShinningLight on May 24, 2020 8:20 pm

Hi Barbie123‍ 
I saw your message and I to have Brain cancer, I was diagnosed with Astrocytoma grade 3 and it was scary when I found out after I woke up at the hospital from having a seizure, it was hard to cope but I found that staying positive and embracing my cancer team helped a lot, the cancer society has great programs to help your nephew cope as well but I can say what has helped me beat this so far is like I said Positive thinking and picturing the cancer going away and give myself projects and goals, don't look to the past and try to focus on the future and what he will be doing , this helps the brain go into healing mode, his brain is still the most powerful tool he has and it can help him heal like it does when he cuts a finger as an example, believe in yourself and that he can beat this and thrive and that positive attitude his Cancer team will give him , I believe he can beat this as well and he has a buddy in me if he is feeling down , stay strong ,stay positive , don't give up, eat healthy and make sure he gets good proteins to help in the healing process.
You will be the champ if you believe. 💪✌

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on May 25, 2020 9:55 am

Barbie123‍ 

How is your nephew doing? Do you know what type of brain cancer?

I'm so glad you met ShinningLight‍. I would also like to introduce you to Orlando‍ and mchesher‍ who have experience with brain cancer. 

Thinking of you,
Lacey

Posted by Mukhtar on Sep 1, 2020 2:34 pm

Barbie123‍ 
Hello, I am so sorry to hear that . stay strong and be optimistic. Thats how I have been coping with a grade 4 brain cancer since April of 2019.
I cant imagine the situation you are in right now but please be happy and try to show your impacted love one your positive side. I remember my wife standing by my side in times of difficulty and trying to give me hope and she honestly did. We, diagnosed with this tumor, need love and support the most. Wish you all the best from Ottawa-Gatineau. Stay safe and strong please.
Mukhtar