+ Reply
Timing of Radiation
Kiana
2 Posts
I recently had a lumpectomy for DCIS . How many weeks after the surgery do you start radiation therapy? Would it be too late if I start radiation 9 weeks after my surgery? Thanks.
5 Replies
ACH2015
2545 Posts

@Kiana

Hi Kiana, I had radiation just about 9 weeks after surgery (not breast) myself. Healing has to be complete before radiation takes place. There may be an extended wait time at the cancer center treating you. I found a resource from the Canadian Cancer Society that talks about radiation after breast cancer surgery timeframes: https://cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-types/breast/treatment/radiation-therapy I hope this information is helpful, and as always its encouraged to check with your medical team for answers more specific to the individuals situation.

Keep well

ACH2015

Kiana
2 Posts

@ACH2015 This is very helpful. Thank you so much.

supersu
1580 Posts

@Kiana
good morning over there! it is springlike weather here in Alberta, and I am just enjoying it all till we get an Arctic blast this weekend. were you affected by the big snow yesterday where you are???

re: radiation
I had my 2nd lumpectomy in March 2020, and did not have radiation until June/July. at the time it seemed as tho all was falling into place as it should. I had to heal up, then my samples were sent for an ONCODX analysis, and that took up some extra time I suppose. I also understood that I needed to wait a bit longer due to staffing/radiation suite availability????

so according to the great info @ACH2015 shared, at 9 weeks you would be in the ‘sweet spot’ for sure. even my 12ish weeks seems to be A-OK.

how are you healing up from your lumpectomy? have you got all your diagnostics back from that sample?

let me know how things move along. happy to share about any part of my experience if you are interested in my tips and tricks.

cheers
su

#radiationtherapy #waittimes #breastcancer #breastfriends #DCIS #lumpectomy

Tan65
41 Posts

Hi I had a lumpectomy for DCIS on August 9 last year, and started radiation October 5. That was the recommended wait time here in Sask-they have to make sure your surgery site is completely healed. I can answer any other questions you may have :)

Essjay
2153 Posts

@Kiana You need to heal fully before you start any other treatment. Radiation is pretty tough on the skin so the incisions need to be fully knitted together. My radiation came after lumpectomy October 11, chemo December 19-April 30, radiation May 7-June 5.
while you wait I would focus on your exercises - you need to be able to lie on your back and raise your arms over your head and hold onto a bar to keep everything in position.

Hope you get a date very soon. Essjay

+ Reply