+ Reply
Waiting for results
123Clyde
39 Posts
Well I had my lumpectomy a week and a half ago. Still waiting for the pathology results. It’s so hard to wait. I won’t know the course of treatment until I get that…..tic toc tic toc tic toc 🫤
17 Replies

@123Clyde Isn't waiting brutal? It feels like a form of torture. I spent months getting a final diagnosis and, after each test, the wait seemed unbearable. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011. My first symptoms appeared in November 2010 and my final diagnosis did not happen until February or March 2011.

If it makes you feel any better, I felt a lot calmer after I had a diagnosis and had a treatment plan. The unknown was harder for me to deal with.

If you can, distract yourself. Spend some time with your children. Focus on the here and now and all the fun you can have with them. “What if” is a phrase that we often use, but it really doesn't let us move forward. I just drags us down.

I'm told that some people clean to help deal with their anxiety. It's not something I do, but, for some people, it is perfect. Do what you normally do when you're anxious. Do something fun. I don't know if you do any mindfulness activities. Exercise can help. Find what works best for you. I don't know about your imagination, but sometimes it comes up with scenarios that are far worse than reality.

Take a deep breath. While you wait now, you may find, if there is a cancer diagnosis, that things begin to move quickly and you wish things would slow down a bit.

Please reach out if you have questions, need to vent, or just want to hear some words of support and encouragement.

Hang in there.

cancertakesflight

#waiting #emotionalrollercoasterride

123Clyde
39 Posts

@cancertakesflight thank you for your kind words and thoughtfulness . I have lost of things to keep busy with so that’s what I’ll do…. Keep busy . So are you cancer free now ? Hope so …

supersu
1580 Posts

@123Clyde
ugh….waiting is the WORST! read your post and immediately flashed back to my last biopsy. I was told they put a STAT on it, so I figured it would come thru in a jiffy. then a long weekend happened, then the doctor was off, you get the idea…..gawd….it was torture!!

I have waited for lots & lots of pathology results…..never gets easier. seems to never get faster, either!

glad that you have lots to keep you busy. time passes either way, so you may as well be productive, #amiright?

how are you feeling after the lumpectomy? I am trying to recall how long I waited for my lumpectomy results, (I ended up with 2), and I really don't remember. I do recall that I felt great post surgery, but in my case it was the very beginning days of COVID, so I was sort of housebound. developed a new found love for awful TV, (90 Day Fiance type of stuff), and really layed on the #pizzagintherapy. #donotreccommend

do let us know how things move along. once you know what exactly you are dealing with, things become much more focused, and hopefully plans and action happen.

sending good vibes your way
su

#diagnosticwaittimes #waitingistheWORST #patholgoyresults #lumpectomy

Mona123
9 Posts

@123Clyde waiting is the worst! I also had a lumpectomy (this past November) and I remember all the sleepless nights of wondering and worrying. Please know that you’re not alone in this journey. 💕 I just had my second re-excision (3rd surgery), trying to get clear margins, so I still don’t know my next steps. The waiting is easier for me now though…maybe I’m just getting used to it. Hang in there. You’ll get through this.

123Clyde
39 Posts

@supersu
Hi ! Thanks for your message. I first had a biopsy, and that hurt like the dickens! It felt like they were shooting a nail gun into my chest. It turned out I had two lumps they put 4 needles for freezing , and it sure felt like they shot me with a nail gun three times and each lump into my tiny breast . then two more needles to put little titanium markers inside the lamp area. So altogether I had 12 needles that day on my left breast. The results were ductal carcinoma. At first, the surgeon told me that I was going to have to have my entire breast removed. As it turns out, I only needed a lumpectomy. The day before surgery I had to have a sentinel node injection. Wow did that ever hurt! I knew it was gonna hurt, but it hurt way more than I expected. I was so angry and upset. I cried all the way to the car. So then surgery the next day I was afraid they were going to hurt me again so I asked them if they would wait until I was sleeping before they hurt me again. I just needed freezing because they had to put wires in my breast before my surgery. The needles hurt, but I didn’t feel the wires going in. Now I’m recovering at home . My breast still hurts and there’s a big lump inside. They’re like it’s not hot, but the lump is hard and very sore. I’m hoping it’s not infected. It’s not red or anything.. I’ll know tomorrow because I have an appointment with the surgeon and they will tell me what the pathology results are, and ill get the treatment plan. I’m hoping, of course, that it’s just radiation and hormone therapy and not chemo… But we shall see…

supersu
1580 Posts

@123Clyde
awwww….how awful for you that these procedures are so uncomfortable. obviously you are very sensitive, that does not sound very nice at all. make sure you always mention this. I know there are numbing creams and perhaps you could take some pain control prophylactively????

I am sending all my positive vibes that you get great results today. my breast was definitely hard and lumpy post surgery; in fact it still has some of that feeling 3 years later! I think there are some clips and things in there to hold it all together. do make sure you ask your surgeon if things are A-OK and tell them how you are feeling.

6ee22599f201b923dc75ba86b81a88e4-huge-po

let us know how things move along today.

cheers
su

#breastcancer #surgeryfollowup #patholgoyresults

123Clyde
39 Posts

@supersu thank you for those ideas and thank you for your empathy . I did ask the nurse at the surgeons office a few days ahead of time if I could have something to call me and numb me a little bit and she wasn’t helpful. She just asked me “if I ever had a baby? It only takes one or two minutes For the procedure. “

123Clyde
39 Posts

@supersu I should’ve asked my doctor… Next time I’ll know better

123Clyde
39 Posts

@supersu my visit to the surgeon, said the results did not come in yet. But had a look at my breast, and things are looking fine. She said she’ll call me tomorrow with the results, so I will let you all know. Thank you for being interested.

123Clyde
39 Posts

@Mona123
Hi , thank you for sharing . I was told i may have tohave an additional re-incision … I’ll find out tomorrow. I do hope you are doing well and remaining string . We can do this !

Cynthia Mac
4217 Posts
Oh, 123Clyde‍ … I’d be all up on her with, “NO, I haven’t had a baby, and pain avoidance was part of that decision, so you put a note on my file, and act accordingly.” (I’d probably be a terrible patient - good thing I was a caregiver!)

I do hope everything goes well for you!
JoVee
7 Posts

@123Clyde Waiting is the absolute worst. I feel for you.

I found it much easier once I knew what I was dealing with and could see a roadmap take shape.

Keep doing your post-surgery exercises :) A suggestion for when you’re feeling better… yoga can help you feel stronger. Even if you can only do some of it! I started doing online with Yoga with Adriene after I had a lumpectomy and I’m still doing yoga. Not every day but it’s helped me enormously. Even on the days when I just lie on the mat and breathe!

123Clyde
39 Posts

@JoVee hi thank you for your thoughtful message. No one has ever suggested any after surgery exercises yet. Yoga sounds like a good idea.

Cynthia Mac
4217 Posts

@123Clyde Just go easy on the yoga… I’ve done it off and on my whole life (used to do Yoga with Karen with my grandma when I was a kid. I think mostly we laughed at the poses as we dropped to the floor.) But, I digress…

Like I said, I’ve done yoga a fair bit, and can do some fairly strenuous poses, but when I suggested doing some back strengthening to my osteopath a few years ago, she said, well, you can do this, but don’t do the full pose, just move this far… etc.

So if you have a physio or other health care professional that can help guide you, you might want to check with them.

123Clyde
39 Posts

@Cynthia Mac thank you ! I’ll keep that in mind 😊

Jonaleeca
40 Posts

@JoVee I have just started doing Yoga with Adriene and she is awesome. My whole body is very tight and despite all the massages and stretches that I have done, my muscles would not release. My sister suggested yoga with Adriene because she really starts from “the beginner” - someone who has never done yoga before. She also explains the process really well. I have finally started to feel my shoulders release. It only takes about 15 minutes but I feel good afterwards.

Skye2
341 Posts

@123Clyde
Yup… waiting is the worst!!!! I waited over a MONTH for my pathology after my double mastectomy, left axillary dissection! I had my surgery follow up appointment before she had the pathology! Anyway, try and keep busy, do what you enjoy doing… you WILL feel better about things once you get the results and have a treatment plan in place, even if it’s chemo or radiation, at least you know where you’re going!

Hang in there!

Sue

+ Reply