+ Reply
Anyone take breaks from AIs?
BellaBlue
56 Posts

I have been on all 3 AIs over the last year and am finding the pain and fatigue almost unbearable. There are days where I feel like I can tolerate it and others where I don”t know if I can go on. There is not a moment where I am not in pain. Over the holidays I took 3 week break, after 2 weeks I was feeling a bit better, my hands didn’t ache as much, I didn’t struggle to finish a walk, better but not fabulous.

I was wondering if anyone is on a regimen where they take a break, just to catch a breath. I was thinking a month off in the summer and another during the winter might just get me through this. Although, after my first pill after my break I woke up in the middle of the night, my hands were more sore than ever!

I am high risk of recurrence and also take Abemacaclib, which you need to be on an AI to get the benefit. So switching to Tamaxofin is a significant increase in risk, at least for the first few years.

4 Replies

@BellaBlue
Sorry you have found the side effects so challenging. I too ended up trying 3 AI's, even going back to Tamoxifen for awhile, before settling on Examestane. I did take breaks between them and maybe one other time but always with the support of my oncologist.

Have you had that conversation with your oncologist? Maybe they can work with you to manage the symptoms and suggest the best solution for your specific scenario.

Lianne

BellaBlue
56 Posts

@Lianne_Moderator My oncologist did suggest a break during the holidays. For how long did you take your breaks? I found 3 weeks wasn’t enough to get much of a benefit.

Fishgoddess
16 Posts
Hi all: ive been on letrozole for 2.5 years. Lost over 50% of my hair in the last 3 months, no new growth, and very bad pain. We are on our way to Florida for our first holiday since diagnosis and im taking off 3 months from ai. With authorization from my onc. Apparently you can do 3 months off with no ramifications. When i get back, we are going to discuss a different ai. Im nervous but if I don’t have a break, i feel like i will go nuts. 2 weeks off and so far, i can bent my knees and climb stairs. My eyes feel better too. Hope this helps. Im 69 years old, fyi.
BellaBlue
56 Posts

@Fishgoddess Thank you, it gives me a reference for discussion with my onco. I hope you have an amazing trip!

+ Reply