+ Reply
Aromatase Inhibitor called Anastrozole
Vicki27
2 Posts

I have been on this drug (Anastrozole) for over a year now and am finding that every single joint in my body aches, especially after being physically active. I have a very physical job and found that the more physical I am the worse I feel. It has gotten so bad, that my hands now go numb when I am driving. Would like to know if anyone else has had this happen while on this drug?

8 Replies
Essjay
2156 Posts

@Vicki27 I’m going to tag @Runner Girl who is also on anastrozole and may have some insights.

best wishes, Essjay

Runner Girl
3137 Posts

@Vicki27
I'm sorry you're suffering on the Anastrozole. I hate to say it because it's so awful, but welcome to the club. Natural menopause is a gradual thing and your body eases into it, being on Anastrozole is like having menopause happen all at once with no nice slide into it - it's "menopause on steroids". So rather than the natural progression into having body aches, stiff joints, etc. it happens all at once and it is not fun.

In March 2023 I will have been on Anastrozole for 2 years. My side effects are much like yours, with the recent addition of a stress fracture in my 2nd metatarsal, left foot. I have found magnesium supplements help somewhat. Acupuncture is very helpful, I go every 3 weeks. Chiropractor is also very helpful. I've heard that Claritin helps mitigate the joint inflammation so I take one 10 mg tablet a day.

Click on the hashtag below to get links to other discussions on Anastrozole.

#Anastrozole

@Vicki27
It is tough to be experiencing this kind of side effect, especially if it is impacting your job.

There are a couple other Aromatase Inhibitors (AI) that may be an option for you. I tried 3 before settling on the 3rd one. My side effects were not exactly the same mind you and everyone reacts slightly different. Do you have a followup appointment with your oncologist, or a means to contact to discuss that possibility?

Lianne

Vicki27
2 Posts

@Runner Girl Thank you. I was thinking of trying Acupuncture and it seems after talking to my chiropractor and from what others have told me, this may give me some relief. My oncologist has been very hard to get a hold of, however yesterday one of the nurses at the cancer clinic got him on the phone and he is now taking me off the anastrozole for a month and in January going to try Tamoxifen.

Runner Girl
3137 Posts

@Vicki27
I also used acupuncture to mitigate the aches/pains that Tamoxifen brought in the 2 years I was on it before Anastrozole.

Shilo
12 Posts

@Vicki27 I was on an aromatase inhibitor, call Letrozole, for a full year. Worst year of my life. I was 57 and it was all I could do to go up and down a set of stairs. I had chronic arthritic pain in all of my joints, primarily in my hands and wrists. After a year, I asked my oncologist to switch me to a different medication. Now on Tamoxifen and pain has disappeared. Will be praying they can find a suitable replacement for you.

elle29
1403 Posts

@Vicki27 I have been on Anastrozol with another Plbociclib this is my treatment instead of radiation and chemo my Medical Oncologist consult had said was suitable for the MBC stage 4 . Now NED since last Feb 2022 in Remission . So if u can tolerate the side effects and with possible hot flashes depending if your pre menopause or peri menopause or post menopause none of which I had before starting Anastrozol of unbearable extreme heat .
Truely I dislike that hormone and rather do with out .And tried Exemestane alot better! However both physicians preferred I stayed on former treatment which worked . They kalso wanted me to remain on the 2 AInhibitor meds for the rest of my life .iiï@y% If it’s suppressing cancer growth and my wonderful Oncologist did not complain . I remain on this combo doing its job keeping cancer at bay ! Back to rehab Living life retired !
New Decelopment from clinical trial . Now there is anew clinical trial with another hormone
Geredestrant looking very favourable Clinical trial Geredestrant vs Anastrozol here is the link . Off to grandson‘s hockey & energized by watching them ! 🏒 ! Score ! U got this , In the net 🥅 ! You got this ! ! Elle 29

elle29
1403 Posts

@Vicki27 it’s just my opinion based on reading and other women , hearing some doctors even surgeons know some cancer cells get loose ! But Tomoxifen has outlived it’s efficacy .

And other Oncologists have said about Anistrozol to patients that let’s leave that hormone ! Go to Chemo for cancer treatment, directly in a shorter time . You don’t need Osteoporosis sideeffects on it long term . Get the cancer treated and your finished but with check up scans every year, in followups .
The danger with breast cancer is it returns, no matter what age nor Treatment .

Because we are dealing with cancer, we want to target that with Radiation and chemo not hormone treatment replacement .

But my older GPO , said not to seperate the 2 drugs that work together, to suppress the cancer .Like a thumb over a hose that on analogy , keep it from flowing . I stayed on them but I really do not want the extreme heat that floods on my body when ever and I have No control .
NOw the pain which has intensified .Nor side effects from this hormone stiffening and making me painfully sore . And when my body was trying to do yoga , gently with a class , be glad to do more in. exercise with people suitable and that I was interested from 16 mnths oral cancer treatment . After cancer to feel better after battling cancer stronger doze of Ibrance to keep away from children and pregnant women .

+ Reply