+ Reply
Surgery for incontinence after prostatectomy
CSLMAN
3 Posts

Does anyone have experience with artificial urinary sphincter (AUS) or adjustable transobdurator male system (ATOMS)? What are the pros and cons of each?

5 Replies
Bluenoser13
86 Posts

@CSLMAN
Hi and welcome to the caring and sharing group but sorry to meet this way. I can speak to the ATOMS sling as I had mine installed about 5 years ago after my RP.
It was an interesting surgery in that at least for me I was off work for about 4 weeks and it was sore for a couple of them.
I went back a couple times to have it inflated but that wasn’t as bad as it sounds. My Dr didn’t even freeze me beforehand.
It did help me but I still leak and wear pads. I could go get it topped up but I’m not that bothered. Mine holds about 25 cc of saline solution.
I currently have advanced PCa and am hoping for the new study drug recently announced but that’s a long shot as it’s very limited in the number of patients who can receive it.
Best of luck and keep us posted in as much as you feel comfortable in doing so.

supersu
1466 Posts

@CSLMAN
good morning from Alberta.
still dark here, but shaping up to be a beautiful day…..after a quick & cold start to our winter, we are having a break in the extreme cold this weekend.

I see that @Whitelilies has connected you with @kcbpcst who has shared some fabulous information and resources with you.

good luck with your prostate cancer story moving forward, and thank you for your post. it seems to me that any question you may have is one that somebody else is wondering about too! every single post has the potential to help others. that is what this caring community is all about….

welcome here, please let us know how thing move along for you.

cheers
su

#welcomenewmember #prostateCancer #peacelovecure

CSLMAN
3 Posts
Yes, ok, thanks very much.
CSLMAN
3 Posts

@Bluenoser13

As I understand it, I have two possibilities, AUS or ATOMS. AUS is more effective but it has more problems and side effects. How did you make the decision between AUS and ATOMS? I am trying to figure out how much less effective ATOMS is compared with AUS. Can I ask how much you were leaking before the ATOMS surgery? I know my leaking is considered quite severe. Thanks for any further information you can provide. I appreciate it.

Bluenoser13
86 Posts

@CSLMAN

Hi:

I wasn’t given the option on the AUS at that time so it was the ATOMS or a mechanical sphincter and my Dr felt the ATOMS would be better. He said if it fails, then I could always get the mechanical one later.

I was leaking pretty good too, probably not considered severe but I was using at least a couple pads a day. The leakage is still an issue, depending on what I’m doing but it’s manageable. I don’t do any heavy lifting or anything involves bending frequently.

For exercise, I use a stationary bike as it’s easier on my bladder.

Good luck!

ps: we sold the house and are living in an apartment so no lawn or snow to worry about either. We love it!

+ Reply