+ Reply
Lumpectomy open wound packing
BCGinnamon
6 Posts

My second lumpectomy this past summer (within one month of each other) resulted in a wound that seeped over weeks, then totally opened up while I was sleeping, soaking me and the bed in brownish fluid and deflating the breast. I now have an open hole 2 cm diameter, with a 7 cm cavity, and the shape is all wrong!! A nurse packed it with gauze this morning and I will have to have it changed every few days for I don't know how long.

I am discouraged and have been told healing will take months, may not result in a regular appearance and I wonder if it will be longer than that because I'm in the middle of chemo and will then have radiation. I was already told that radiation can change the breast's appearance.

I'd love to hear from others who've had this happen about how to best heal and manage this wound, and what I may expect and the timing thereof.

6 Replies

@BCGinnamon

I'm sorry you have had this setback. I didn't have this with my lumpectomy but have helped my mom with a large abdominal wound not long ago. The packing does help and often they put a silver sheet in it too. My mom's wound was quite large so they used a VAC - vacuum assisted closure machine. Maybe check if that is an option for your particular wound. It does make the wound close faster we were told.

Hopefully you will start to see some healing results sooner than later.

Lianne

Thewasp
81 Posts

@BCGinnamon

So sorry you’re dealing with this. I second @Lianne_Moderator suggestion about aVAC system. In my pre cancer life , I was an ICU nurse and we used VACs all the time. They can be used for large or small wounds and they work very well In my experience. The nice thing is that the sponge is changed every 3 days. There are small Microdoc machines that apply negative pressure to the wound and can be clipped on a belt so you can go about your life. I don’t know if this would be an option for you .

BCGinnamon
6 Posts

@Lianne_Moderator
I have never heard of such a thing! I will ask about it. Thanks!

BCGinnamon
6 Posts

@Thewasp
That's good information. Does the machine make it so the breast regains a rounded shape? Does packing? I'm concerned about the cosmetic result, too.

Thewasp
81 Posts

@BCGinnamon

Hopefully this helps.

I used it mostly on large abdominal wounds but I did see them on chests, lumpectomy sites. As far as keeping the breast shape, I can’t comment because I would only see the patient during the acute stage.

BCGinnamon
6 Posts

@Thewasp Thanks for sending the link. It was informative. It sounds quite involved and still means months of healing. I'm curious as to what my surgeon suggests when I next see him. I appreciate your taking time to help out! ☮️

+ Reply