+ Reply
How long does it take for your hair to stop falling out. My last chemo was 5 weeks ago and I’m still losing hair
Bluesmoke1
13 Posts
How long does it take for your hair to stop falling out. My last chemo was 5 weeks ago and I’m still losing hair 😞
20 Replies
Runner Girl
3008 Posts

@Bluesmoke1
Can you share what chemo you were given? Did you shave your head and is it the new hair that is falling or is this your old hair continuing to fall out?

I had breast cancer, my hair all fell out 2 weeks after my first chemo. My eyelashes and eyebrows held on for about 5-6 weeks after I finished chemo just as I started radiation and then they fell out.

Have you discussed this with your oncologist?

Bluesmoke1
13 Posts

@Runner Girl I’m m not sure what kind of chemo I was given, but I did not shave my head and it’s my existing hait. I think the drugs were packlitaxel and carboplatin

Runner Girl
3008 Posts

@Bluesmoke1
Here is a link to some info about hair loss and chemo: https://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/side-effects/hair-loss-and-chemotherapy.aspx

Both Paclitaxel and Carboplatin are listed as causing hair loss. Might be a good conversation to have with your doctor. Or maybe it is just catching up with you now, like my eyebrows/lashes when they left after the fact.

I'm going to tag @WestCoastSailor who also had chemo for his lung cancer for his take on this.

Bluesmoke1
13 Posts

@Runner Girl did you lashes and eyebrows grow back?

ACH2015
2437 Posts

Hi @Bluesmoke1

I had the same chemotherapy as you Paclitaxel and Carboplatin. My hair started to fall out shortly after the second round of chemo, and it continued to do so during and after treatments. I also lost my eyebrows, eyelashes and all body hair. I had 6 rounds of the drugs - given once every 3 weeks I believe.

It took months for the hair to grow back - yes including the eyelashes and eyebrows. My hair did not come back as thick as it was, but it did come back. Everyone's experience will be somewhat different.

Hope this helps

ACH2015

Bluesmoke1
13 Posts

@ACH2015 thank you for the info.

I had 5 rounds once a week and my hair started coming out after the fourth round, and has continued for the past 5 weeks. I have some hair on my head, but it’s very thin. My eyelashes and eyebrows are ok.

@Runner Girl
Yup that was my chemo all right. But though I was warned my hair would fall out… it never did. about week four or five, there was a wee bit extra in the brush so I took it all off in a pre-emptive strike. And decided it I like it short.

So now I rock the red cap. Though I've been thinking maybe I should make it white for lung cancer.

The other side of the story is that my targeted therapy drug seems to be like fertilizer. I have hair in places I've never had hair…

Angus

Runner Girl
3008 Posts

@Bluesmoke1
Yes, my eyebrows and eyelashes grew back. I encouraged the eyebrows with a little castor oil. My lashes actually came back, fell out again then came back and stayed.

Cynthia Mac
4127 Posts
And you DO rock the red cap, WestCoastSailor‍ . Besides, white’s not your colour… unless you’re carrying it …😉
Essjay
2100 Posts

@Bluesmoke1 everything grew back after chemo. The problem though with eyelashes and eyebrows is that they have a 12-15 week lifespan, so if they start regrowing together they fall out together so it takes quite a few growth cycles to get good coverage all the time. I feel like my eyebrows have just got back to pre cancer three years after treatment although one seems to have grown higher on my face! I faked them with powder after trying some dreadful temporary stick on ones!

I found my facial hair (the fine fluff) forgot to stop growing when it first came back and I felt quite furry! Ihad to shave my face several times.

Some places are slower. I have less body hair than before and almost no underarm hair.

And when my head hair came back it was initially completely grey and white and very curly. As time has passed I have more of my pre cancer colour and it’s beautifully soft (and straight). I was actually asked which stylist did my colour at the weekend. I laughed and said it was natural and was told it looked like an expensive balayage! Can’t complain about that!

It takes a while, but it’s very intriguing losing it and regaining it.

Bluesmoke1
13 Posts

@Essjay thank you. That’s good to know. I guess it takes time and I’m afraid I’m a little confused impatient.

I am hoping I qualify for immunotherapy, but I guess I’m wondering how that affects hair loss? Do you know?

cinderella1
63 Posts

@Bluesmoke1
I shaved mine very short after my first chemo treatment. It continued to fall out including below the neck, finally I was totally bald. My hair started to grow back, then four months later I had radiation treatments(my surgery was in between) After radiation all my hair fell out again, but only from the neck down. All my hair has since grown back with the exception of the armpit that was radiated. I bought two wigs that I wore once. The comfort of the head wraps won over. We are beautiful either way.

Thewasp
81 Posts

@Bluesmoke1

By my 2nd chemo cycle(docetaxel and cyclophosphamide) all my hair was gone and even my nose hairs. By about 6 weeks after my 4th cycle all the hair was coming back, especially my chin hairs😂. I don’t have to shave my underarms and legs as much which is nice.
I’ve got about a cm or so of really nice salt and pepper hair on my head. I’ve been dying my hair since I was 50 and I won’t be doing that again. My hair is so soft now and the gray really suits me.

JenG
221 Posts

@Bluesmoke1
Not sure which drug you’ll be offered for immunotherapy but my mom did it for a year and didn’t lose her hair. Pembro something was the drug. Good luck!

jen

SOP
8 Posts

@Thewasp
I just started my chemo this Monday August 29 with exactly the same drugs, 4 in total every 3 weeks. 3 more to go!

I still have hair but it’s thinner I think. I see that it’s a long time to go for hair to come back, but it’s good if it’s coming back anyway😊

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Thewasp
81 Posts

@SOP

Once it started coming out in clumps, my daughter shaved it for me. The good thing about hair is that it will come back and it’s very satisfying to see that new growth.

Best of luck with your treatment 🙂

Cynthia Mac
4127 Posts
Pembroluzimab, aka Keytruda, JenG‍ I’ve added a hashtag, so if you ever need it again, all you have to do is type # and all you can remember!

(My Dad was on it too, for lung cancer, with chemo (Cysplatin and pemetrexed).

#pembrolizumab #keytruda
Bluesmoke1
13 Posts

@Cynthia Mac were these the drugs for immunotherap? if so, did they work well?

Cynthia Mac
4127 Posts
Yes, the pembroluzimab (generic name) is an immunotherapy drug, and my Dad qualified for it under a clinical trial, possibly due to the fact that his cancer was a very rare one, and they wanted to garner information about it. Dad’s lung cancer had metastasized to his liver, and in the 10 months he was in the trial before he became ill with stroke-like issues, it worked well for him. By the 6 months mark, the tumours in his lung (2) were almost fully gone, and the largest ones in his liver were about 50% reduced.

That’s no guarantee of how your tumours will react to this medication, but it does seem to be helping a lot of people.

It’s also hard to say how much impact the chemo he was receiving at the same time was impacting all of the above. It could have been the combination.
+ Reply